MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Friday, July 11, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 66.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Start Making Those October Travel Plans...

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Postby wack wack » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:54 am

buckyor wrote:if you has asked me two weeks ago, I'd have told you that the Brewers were still in line to win 92-93 games, and that this would be enough to win the division. The Cubs were cooling off (they still are, by the way), and weren't (and still aren't) gonna get more than 90 wins.

Now I think the Brewers will be lucky to win 80. They have the look of a team that is just about to go into complete meltdown. It will cost Yost his job (and it should), but maybe that's a good thing. I think he's taken this team as far as he can, and it's time for someone else to take the reins. This team is far more talented than it's been playing lately, and I think that's largely a result of Yost's coddling of his young players. I think that was a good thing for a few years, to allow the young guys to get some experience and build some confidence, but now it's time for these guys to actually step up and perform at the high level that is expected every day, and Yost isn't the guy that can get that from these players. Not with his history with them.

Still not sure it's gonna be the Cubs that win this division though. I still think St. Louis can make a run.

Full disclosure: I have been a Cubs fan for 30+ years; began watching them and collecting baseball cards in 1976. However, please believe that my following comments regarding this year's Brew Crew have nothing to do with this year's Cubs team.

I moved to Madison several years ago and have watched the Brewers regularly since that time. I've grown to love them only a little bit less than the Cubs. With all due respect, I must disagree with the assertion that "This team is far more talented than it's been playing lately." I think the truth is they played way, way over their heads for the first two months of the season. They reminded me of many of the Cubs teams I grew up watching ('77, '79, '87 come to mind) that would be 8, 10, even 19 games over .500 at the All-Star break, only to lose not only their lead but end up below .500 for the season. I'm sorry, but from the beginning this Brewers team seemed to me to be far more like that than a truly talented, dynasty-building team. I know, Brewers fans don't want to hear it and won't believe it, and I'll be written off as jerk of a Cubs fan to most, but this is truly how it feels to me.

I have to disagree too, that the Cardinals are a player this year. They just don't have it. If they do win the division it will only be due to a MONUMENTAL collapse by both the Brewers and the Cubs.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:43 am

nevermore wrote:And this may get me some jeers, but looks like we're getting Wood tomorrow.

From the tone of your post, I thought you had wood already.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:45 am

buckyor wrote:
nevermore wrote:And this may get me some jeers, but looks like we're getting Wood tomorrow.

From the tone of your post, I thought you had wood already.

Heh.
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Darwin » Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:02 pm

Wood will be back on the shelf after his 2nd inning of work, if he gets out of warmups.

The Cubs still suck, as do the Bears, Bulls, and Figthing Illini.

Enjoy that 1 percentage point lead while it lasts.
Darwin

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:26 pm

Darwin wrote:Enjoy that 1 percentage point lead while it lasts.

It's actually only a one-tenth of a precentage point lead.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Darwin » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:07 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Darwin wrote:Enjoy that 1 percentage point lead while it lasts.

It's actually only a one-tenth of a precentage point lead.

My bad. I guess I like to give more credit than is deserved sometimes.
Darwin

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:51 pm

That's all right. Espn made the same mistake.

Anyway, the Cubs lost this afternoon, so the Brewers are up by half a game. At least until the Milwaukee-Philly game is over tonight.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:26 pm

nevermore wrote:Marvell, minicat, where *are* you guys?

Not panicking.

We've got two more months, nev. May the best team win.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Oprah » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:53 pm

Marvell wrote:May the best team win.

Given how the Cubs and Brewers have played this week and the weakness of the NL Central, it should be:

May the least worst team win.
Oprah
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:26 pm

They all really look terrible right now, check out the records for the last 10 games of the 3 division leaders for the NL central, its bad.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenieU » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:23 am

We saw the Brewers up close and in person yesterday. My impression is that this is a team that is about a year off. The pitching needs to get much more consistent-when Capulano started to lose it they gave up just enough runs to fall behind...And leaving Linebrink in against a switch hitter looks like the wrong call in retropect.

And then the main way the go about scoring is all or nothing: Home run or an out-they wern't able to produce when it came to small ball...Still plenty of time to turn it around-if Sheets comes back healthy it could change the entire staff for the better, and it would do well to have a lead off hitter that is batting more than .209-I like Rickey Weeks-but maybe as a #8 hitter. Realisticly this is a young, talented team-tho' Sunday's performance was none too encouraging.
GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking