Ohmanohmanohmanohmanohman.

The program's out!
Rosemary
Forum Addict

Postby Kerpoof » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:41 pm

More Beer!
Kerpoof

Postby Thusnelda » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:21 am

Got tix, can't go. (Don't ask -- they've been spoken for since the day i sat in line.)
Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:35 pm

I counted the other day, 106 breweries. Too damn hot and humid to make a dent in that number though. At least it's not raining. :?

I'll be the one with the blue Blatz shirt and cowboy hat. Say hi, i'll get ya a beer.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:52 pm

Paco wrote:I'll be the one with the blue Blatz shirt and cowboy hat. Say hi, i'll get ya a beer.

I'll look for ya. I kinda resemble Shaggy right now.

Beerfest is fuggin' awesome.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:42 am

What was up with those stupid wristbands? What was the point? We got there about 1:20 and it was totally messed up.

Nice day, but I think there were about 1000 too many people there. If they're going to shove more people in, then they better get more room.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dulouz » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:23 pm

Paco wrote:What was up with those stupid wristbands? What was the point? We got there about 1:20 and it was totally messed up.

Nice day, but I think there were about 1000 too many people there. If they're going to shove more people in, then they better get more room.

The wristbands are so they know that you actually paid to get in. The number of tickets, 5,000, has not changed since the beginning. Some of the vendors, such as Bell's, have taken to bringing their entire company for the weekend which might cause it to seem as if their are "1,000 too many."
Dulouz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rosemary » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:03 am

Paco wrote:What was up with those stupid wristbands? What was the point? We got there about 1:20 and it was totally messed up.

The wristbands also expedite the rate at which you get in the gates. I've heard horror stories from past Tastes in which folks weren't able to get in over an hour after the start time, despite lining up before 1pm. (I was there well before 1 with friends at the head of the line. They come from Chicago and environs every year... pretty hardcore. But it's fun to wait all morning with friends.)

Dulouz is right on with the extra 1000... there are a lot of breweries and their staff, plus their volunteers, plus the MHTG folks, plus restaurant/food service people, plus security, plus plus plus. It takes a huge, concerted, experienced effort to put on this incredibly awesome event. This was my second Taste and I loved every moment. Thanks to the Guild for your hard work.
Rosemary
Forum Addict

Postby kweetech » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:47 am

the great taste is the beer drinkers x-mas 8)

triple bourbon weizenbock huh

I don't think I drank a beer under 9% alcohol all day...I realized this around 4:30..d'oh

all I can say is it was hot, but full of awesomeness anyway
kweetech
Forum Addict

Postby supaunknown » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:16 pm

kweetech wrote:I don't think I drank a beer under 9% alcohol all day...I realized this around 4:30..d'oh

This was the second year in a row now that brewers were measuring their pricks with regards to alcohol content. Last year and especially this year it seemed taste was too often sacrificed in favor of making stronger beer. Seriously, anyone who has gone to a bunch of these, please back me up on this.

I wish I had my Taste handbook here so I could offer my winners. A lot of new vendors this year.

The bourbon barrel beers are kinda ridiculous imo.

The cask ale tent was the bomb diggity. Next year I'm gonna try to make a point of hitting that earlier in the day.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:00 pm

The trend has definitely been toward more and stronger beers. I don't think they sacrifice taste, it's just that they're so strong that if you have a few early in the day, it pretty much kills your taste buds for more "normal" beers. I tried to start with the more regular beers....and I don't think my resolve to build up gradually lasted longer than an hour at most.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rosemary » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:08 pm

supaunknown wrote:
kweetech wrote:I don't think I drank a beer under 9% alcohol all day...I realized this around 4:30..d'oh

This was the second year in a row now that brewers were measuring their pricks with regards to alcohol content. Last year and especially this year it seemed taste was too often sacrificed in favor of making stronger beer. Seriously, anyone who has gone to a bunch of these, please back me up on this.

I wish I had my Taste handbook here so I could offer my winners. A lot of new vendors this year.

The bourbon barrel beers are kinda ridiculous imo.

The cask ale tent was the bomb diggity. Next year I'm gonna try to make a point of hitting that earlier in the day.

Taste handbook in PDF form.

The rising alcohol content is a topic of much debate among folks who dig craft beer. It seemed difficult to me as well to find the less agressive styles (ambers, kolsches, pilsners, browns, etc.) at the Taste, though I certainly enjoyed much of the high-test stuff I drank.

The cask tent was my first stop. Hot damn, was that lovely. I started with Kuhnenn's Creme Brulee and moved onto Goose Island's Saison aged on cranberries. It was like having coffee and juice for breakfast. Excellent.
Rosemary
Forum Addict

Postby Adam Casey » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:15 pm

Got to say that I love the bourbon barrel beers if they are done right.

not all are.

Central Waters does them really well and Flossmoor Station's Ella's Reserve was a Belgian Strong Ale aged in Woodford Reserve barrels. It was my favorite all day.

It was so hot I went to the Leine's tent looking for an Original and they didn't have it! But it's the best one!
Adam Casey

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:13 am

I hope Madison's beer fest was safer than this one.

Bear Eats Man at Beer Festival
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:16 am

Better that than 'Beer Eats Man at Bear Festival.'

That would suck.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails