MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, October 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 34.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

New Library Bar

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

New Library Bar

Postby Madsci » Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:42 pm

A sign for the Library Bar and Cafe has been noticed on Randall between University and Johnson (where the Maxx etc was). Will it ever open? How long will this one last? The first bar I remember in that location was the Kollege Keg.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:02 pm

I met Ms Vilas in the Kollege Keg, but I remember other bars at that location prior to that. It was called Charley's back in '66 (Jeez, I'm an old fart). That block bound by University, Randall and Campus Drive is Madison's own Burmuda Triangle.

So is the new Library Bar and Cafe any relation to the old Library Lounge, where Paisan's is now located?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:50 pm

I gotta think that BBOC (Best Burgers on Campus) was the longest running joint on that block. Of course, it would be a better destination if there was anything else going on there.

I saw some work going on inside the Palace Latin Club a few weeks ago, but haven't seen anything since.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:02 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Madison's own Burmuda Triangle.

Bermuda, Burmuda... Personally, I would have gone with "Barmuda."

I just noticed the Library sign yesterday, as well. I like the "cafe" part of the idea. Luther's was somewhat of a study hangout during the afternoon, serving coffee and pastries and stuff. Since they closed (and to be honest, I never did like to go to Luther's for that purpose) this part of campus could really use a spot that isn't Union South to hang out, drink some caffeine, do some work, etc. Hiking down to Electric Earth on Regent is sort of a pain.
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:43 pm

So, like, one of these?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:01 pm

I'm not getting that kind of vibe from this place.

There was a bar called The Library down at U of Illinois when I was there, although not part of that chain you link. I can't tell you how much fun it was to say to my roommates "I'm going to the library" and really have it mean "I'm going to get drunk at a bar." A nicely placed wink didn't hurt, either!
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:05 pm

massimo wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:Madison's own Burmuda Triangle.

Bermuda, Burmuda... Personally, I would have gone with "Barmuda."

Yah, something like that. The triangle used to do a lot more business when they had a few 18-year-old beer bars within a block or two. It was an easy walk for students from the Lakeshore Dorms, and that was in the day before everyone had a car. The Badger Tavern was on the University side and the Amber Grid (aka the Hasty Tasty) was just down the street.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:05 pm

massimo wrote:There was a bar called The Library down at U of Illinois when I was there... I can't tell you how much fun it was to say to my roommates "I'm going to the library" and really have it mean "I'm going to get drunk at a bar." A nicely placed wink didn't hurt, either!

It's a popular name for bars in college towns for exactly that reason. There's one in La Crosse, too.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:30 pm

I think it's kind of a law that college towns have a bar called "The Library," which is why I've always been kind of glad that we didn't have one.

I also fondly remember the BT, where you could drink as an 18-year old freshman, but you had to put up with substantial verbal abuse from the guy who ran the place.

There used to be a McDonald's on that block, if memory serves.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:04 pm

jjoyce wrote:I also fondly remember the BT, where you could drink as an 18-year old freshman, but you had to put up with substantial verbal abuse from the guy who ran the place.

Joe Clementi, who owned the bar with his brother Tony. Joe was an asshole and a racist too. When an Asian and a black student walked in together, the first thing Joe said: "What is this, the United Nations?"

He kept a Louisville Slugger behind the bar, for "crowd control."
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:56 pm

Sometimes the downtown library seems like a bar but everybody must get their booze somewhere else.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:09 pm

If that's the bermuda triangle of madison, then what is the block of w mifflin between fairchild and carroll? Land of the Dead?
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:48 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:So is the new Library Bar and Cafe any relation to the old Library Lounge, where Paisan's is now located?

I thought another bar in Madison had been called the Library or was that Milwaukee?
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:13 pm

I think the former Wilson Street Grill site on Wilson & Hamilton housed a bar called the Library, but that was quite a while ago... 15 or 20 years, maybe?
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:02 pm

Ducatista wrote:I think the former Wilson Street Grill site on Wilson & Hamilton housed a bar called the Library, but that was quite a while ago... 15 or 20 years, maybe?

I think you're right.

So what used to be in the new Paisan's?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails