MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, December 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 41.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

One in four read no books last year

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

One in four read no books last year

Postby Mister_A_In_Madison » Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:34 pm

[url=http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070821/ap_on_re_us/reading_habits_ap_poll_1]The typical person claimed to have read four books in the last year â€â€
Mister_A_In_Madison
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:04 pm

Zero books here. The implication, of course, is that I'm illiterate.
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Re: One in four read no books last year

Postby noblejoanie » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:11 am

[quote="Mister_A_In_Madison"][url=http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070821/ap_on_re_us/reading_habits_ap_poll_1]The typical person claimed to have read four books in the last year â€â€
noblejoanie

Postby jjoyce » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:45 am

Is it really a mystery, then, why Toby Keith sells records and Bush is in the White House?
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:28 am

God, there's another depressing sign of the times, in addition to this annual downer?

Where's my shotgun? I've kicked off my shoes.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mister_A_In_Madison » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:04 am

jjoyce wrote:Is it really a mystery, then, why Toby Keith sells records and Bush is in the White House?

Most US adults in the dark about world politics
Mister_A_In_Madison
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:38 am

Many US adults, however, appear to enjoy WWE wrestling.

Coincidence?
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mister_A_In_Madison » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:57 am

jjoyce wrote:Many US adults, however, appear to enjoy WWE wrestling.

Coincidence?

And NASCAR... we cannot forget about that juggernaut!
Mister_A_In_Madison
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:01 pm

im won of the for. meant 2 reed Duhvinch Code wile on veykashun but never got arownd 2 it.

TV is my wet nurse. You heard me.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Steve Vokers » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:01 pm

I don't think I read a book in the last year. But that doesn't mean I don't read.

I have to do a lot of reading as part of my job, and I also do a lot of news reading. I'm informed on the issues of the day. By the time I get home from work and the kids are in bed, I'm falling asleep and trying to read a book would only hasten the process.
Steve Vokers
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:23 pm

A few thoughts....

1. I'd like to see some more specs on this poll, specifically the demographic breakout and how it relates to census data. (It feels a little "off" to me.)

2. I've been doing my part to make liberal midwestern-folk look good...I read 27 books last year, 28 if you count the "graphic novel/book" by Chris Ware. However, I did not take part in this poll, which I'd be willing to bet was conducted predominently on landline telephone's, thereby missing the valuable "only has a cell phone" demographic.

3. Why is this big news? I've seen this reported pretty much everywhere news is covered, even over on Fox News. Moreso, pretty much everyone has just cut and pasted the AP story without anything else.

4. I need to get Supa a good book pronto. (I'll tell him there are dirty parts.)

-nt-
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:48 pm

rrnate wrote:However, I did not take part in this poll, which I'd be willing to bet was conducted predominently on landline telephone's, thereby missing the valuable "only has a cell phone" demographic.

What possible reason do you have for thinking someone who only has a cellphone is more likely to have read books than someone with a landline? Many of the folks I've known who don't have landlines are some of the least likely suspects when it comes to being well-read, but I haven't done a formal survey.

My biggest problem with this survey: there's a lot more to read out there than just books. I only read a handful of actual books last year (not counting all those Marvel Comics compilation tomes I routinely devour) but I read a shit-ton of magazines, newspapers and online articles, not to mention all the reading I've done right here on this forum and others. As I've noted before, I don't read fiction anymore - being an English major crushed my love of literature beyond recovery - and like the fellow quoted in that article, prefer to get my storytelling from film. To that end, I watched hundreds of films last year. I've been trying to figure out for years now why people who devour that many novels look down their noses at my behavior, but they sure seem to, just like the author of TheBookPolice's link seems to be looking down their nose at an entire generation simply for having different cultural reference points than they (I mean, digging through that list, I couldn't find many "facts" that were actually important - so what if kids today never saw Johnny Carson live on The Tonight Show? I'm gonna bet most who read that article never saw Jack Parr! The horror!)
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:54 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:I've been trying to figure out for years now why people who devour that many novels look down their noses at my behavior, but they sure seem to, just like the author of TheBookPolice's link seems to be looking down their nose at an entire generation simply for having different cultural reference points than they (I mean, digging through that list, I couldn't find many "facts" that were actually important - so what if kids today never saw Johnny Carson live on The Tonight Show? I'm gonna bet most who read that article never saw Jack Parr! The horror!)

Can I just say that, in the years of knowing about the existence of the Beloit College Mindset Survey, it took me this long to realize that it's not actually a survey in the "poll" sense, but in the "brief overview of the landscape" sense. It's a soulless, bookish look at what incoming freshmen would know if they never, you know, went to school, talked to friends or family, or used the Internet.

So it's pretty useless. My apologies for entering it into this discussion.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mifflander » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:53 pm

What's the population of this country these days?

They polled 1,000 people.

Polls and surveys are completely worthless bits of manipulated information.

Lies, damn lies and statistics as the man once said.
mifflander
Forum Addict

Postby O.J. » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:11 pm

mifflander wrote:What's the population of this country these days?

They polled 1,000 people.

Polls and surveys are completely worthless bits of manipulated information.

Lies, damn lies and statistics as the man once said.

You're absolutely right. A recent poll indicated that 72% of Americans agree with you, too. :lol:
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Headlines