MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, July 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 70.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

So what are you reading?

What books, zines or other pulp are you reading? What aren't you reading? What should everyone else read?

So what are you reading?

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:34 pm

In light of the recent discussion concerning a poll that purports only one-quarter of Americans have read a book in the last year, I'd like to ask my fellow forons what they are reading.

Me, I'm finishing up Michener's Alaska (page 755 out of 1073). Next up, Rampart Street, the latest Valentin St. Cyr mystery by David Fulmer. It's the third of a series set in circa 1900 New Orleans. I hope it's as good as his first two: Chasing the Devil's Tail and Jass.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:44 pm

A Confederate General From Big Sur by Richard Brautigan
How Bluegrass Music Destroyed My Life by John Fahey
A great collection of '40s pulp tales from Unknown edited by Martin Greenberg

just finished Baby, Would I Lie? by Donald Westlake and Armies of the Night by Norman Mailer
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pulsewidth modulation » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:49 pm

pulsewidth modulation
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:53 pm

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, in my continuing effort to keep up with all the books that influence LOST (Watership Down and An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge are already behind me).
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby auntgoodness » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:08 pm

I've been on an Elmore Leonard kick. Last three books I read were all his; Be Cool, Rum Punch, and Pagan Babies.
auntgoodness
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:19 pm

I finally cracked open The Omnivore's Dilemma. Not very far into it yet. And I just ordered Anthony Bourdain's The Nasty Bits, which I'll probably start and finish before I make it through Dilemma. I've been on a big food-writing bender for the past few years. The last book I finished (early summer) was Julia Child's My Life In France. I own but still haven't tackled McGee's On Food and Cooking; seems like a good one for when the days are shorter.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:28 pm

I recently finished Richard Dawkins' The Ancestor's Tale and Misquoting Jesus: The Story Behind Who Changed The Bible And Why by Bart D. Ehrman. Next up, either Programming The Universe by Seth Lloyd or Heavenly Intrigue by Gilder and Gilder.

And of course, Marvel Essentials. I'm midway through The Essential Fantastic Four Volume 5 and The Essential Marvel Two-In-One Volume 1, almost done with The Essential Ghost Rider Volume 1 and just finished The Essential Man-Thing. All are truly essential, of course. :wink:
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Veeder » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:53 pm

My summer reading thus far: The Omnivore's Dilemma, The Sushi Economy and The World Without Us. The former is fascinating and the latter two are both a bit long. The Crisis of Islam is also a winner.
Veeder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bluethedog » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:07 pm

Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer.
bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:14 pm

Oh dear, this prompts the worry that I've let my ganglia atrophy by turning away from fiction in favor of articles and non-fiction books.

But I enjoyed The Omnivore's Dilemma, for the most part. It needed a bit more editing, surely, but the insight and language was well worth it.

I'm very interested to hear a report on How Bluegrass Music Destroyed My Life, Minicat. The title is amusing and seems to address lingering aesthetic fears that Bluegrass is a juggernaut of algorithmic sameness — exceeded only by techno and Reggae.

I hope On Food and Cooking is as interesting as the first edition. The former was a great read-at-random treasure. Before McGee, I never would've thought to slice my lettuce. Now I am free.

Any reports on the fiction front? I heard there's a new printing of Kim Edward's Secrets of a Fire King. It's a collection of short stories. Highly recommended, especially for those with atrophying ganglia.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Learned » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:41 am

The Yiddish Policeman's Union

It's no Kavalier and Clay, but still a fun read.
Learned
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:54 am

Right now I'm reading Palahniuk's "Survivor," its what you would expect from him, pretty good so far. Other than that a couple of poker books, and some catching up. Read the newest Roth and Chabon (Yiddish definitely not as good as Kavalier and Clay--but good nonetheless). Really enjoyed the Murakami, the first I've read. Any suggestions for a followup? I've heard Windup Bird Chronicles is good. Also want to read some Elmore Leonard, where to start?

Summerlist so far:
Hold'em Wisdom For All Players-Daniel Negreanu, Kafka on the Shore-Haruki Murakami, Super System-Doyle Brunson, The Lovely Bones-Alice Sebold, The Yiddish Policemen's Union: A Novel-Michael Chabon, Everyman-Philip Roth, No Country for Old Men-Cormac McCarthy, Haunted-Chuck Palahniuk, Don't Get Too Comfortable-David Rakoff.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DedeTate » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:25 am

I've been trying to get into Mrs. Dalloway. The best thing I read this summer was The Yiddish Policemen's Union, and most recently I finished T. Denean Sharpley-Whiting's Pimps Up, Ho's Down.
DedeTate
Forum Addict

Postby Garimba » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:47 pm

(.)
Last edited by Garimba on Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Garimba
Forum Addict

Postby blunt » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:46 am

Garimba wrote:I realize I'm probably the last on earth to finally get to this but...

"Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith By Jon Krakauer"

Oh my goodness. :shock:

Fascinating.
Now do you see why Romney seems a bit sketchy?
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Books