MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 45.0° F  Light Rain Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Creeping Charlie, anyone know how to get rid of it?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Creeping Charlie, anyone know how to get rid of it?

Postby Paco » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:51 am

it's growing in my front lawn in the sun, and in my back where there's lots of shade and in the garden.

Has anyone had it and gotten rid of it? Or knows what will work?? This stuff is annoying.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:56 am

Just use its other name, ground ivy, and then maybe it won't bother you as much.

Or ...
[url=http://www.extension.umn.edu/yardandgarden/ygbriefs/h510creepingcharlie.html]
If you catch it early, you may be able to control creeping charlie by pulling it out. If it becomes thick, you can use a special tool called a dethatching rake. This helps to comb through the grass, pulling much of the viny weed out. It doesn't eliminate it, but may keep it in check. (Some grass will be pulled up in the process.) Using this tool is more physically demanding than fall leaf raking, however. It provides a strenuous workout, and may be more laborious than what you wish to undertake. This operation dethatches the lawn and cuts into the soil. Afterwards, you can work in some shade-tolerant grass seed to replace the creeping charlie. The best time to do this is between mid-August and mid-September. Choose a time when the weather is beginning to feel cooler.

You may control creeping charlie chemically by applying a herbicide containing 2,4-D and MCPP as its active ingredients. The herbicide will damage or possibly kill any woody or broad-leafed vegetation that comes in contact with the spray, so it must be used with caution.
[/url]
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby District 12 Mom » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:10 am

This month's Madison Magazine included a short blip about controlling creeping charlie "organically." And apparently this is the time of year you can make a dent in it. Corn gluten, borax, and grass seed. I have no idea how effective it is or isn't, but I think we're going to give it a try. Anyone had any experience with this method?
District 12 Mom

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:17 am

Agent Orange?

(Seriously, where does that name come from? I can't find anything, and I've never heard of the term "creeping Charlie" before. I've got a suspicion...)
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:19 am

boron isn't the best for your lawn, and I'd hate to kill it all off--hell, it's probably banned in Madison. Grass seed won't help, mine is growing in one spot in the bright sun, thick front lawn.

can you post the 'recipe' for that, my subscription to Madison Magazine has lapsed.

The only Ivy I want to see is when Prince Fielder hits one over the wall in Wrigley. :)
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Scotty » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:44 am

TheBookPolice wrote:I can't find anything, and I've never heard of the term "creeping Charlie" before. I've got a suspicion...)

ORTHO knows.........
http://www.yardcareproblems.com/index.c ... 0c7e455117
Scotty
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:49 am

No it doesn't. I wanna know whence the "creeping Charlie" name originated, not some other aka
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bmasel » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:31 pm

Disk, then sew hemp at 150/sq. yard early in the spring. This will create a sufficiently dense canopy to shade out creeping charlie.
bmasel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby LadyBoyd » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:18 am

My first instinct was to tell ya to give him a poke in the eyeballs 3 Stooges style and say "Why I oughtta....' before calling the police about the Peeping Charlie outside your window.

A google search found this.

Establishing and/or improving a grass stand to outcompete Creeping Charlie is essential, this is easier said than done primarily because Creeping Charlie thrives in the shade and turfgrasses have a tough time in the shade. For most effective control a multi-pronged approach is needed including:

Mowing the established turf at 3" or more

Broadleaf herbicide application in the spring after flowering and then again 3-4 weeks later. You could and probably should also apply in the fall (Sep 15-Oct15) and again 3-4 weeks later. Unfortunately, these applications may be needed for many years to be most successful.

Fall fertilization to thicken the grass stand.

Regular overseeding in the fall to thicken the stand even more.

Controlling Creeping Charlie takes a lot of work and may not be totally successful. Thus many homeowners learn to accept Creeping Charlie and give up on controlling it."
http://www.ppdl.purdue.edu/ppdl/expert/Creeping_Charlie.html

Another site suggests using "Weed B Gon Purple, Weed B Gon Chickweed, and Weed B Gone Max" to get rid of it.
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/yarddoctor/msg0612033826424.html
LadyBoyd

Postby District 12 Mom » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:48 pm

Paco, What'd you wind up doing about your creeping charlie?

Seeing the ever-expanding creeping charlie field in my backyard, I have fantasies about smothering the stuff or pouring boiling water over large patches of it. D12 Dad's not a fan of either of those ideas, though.
District 12 Mom

Postby jhain » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:59 pm

I set up a long term battle in my backyard: Creeping Charlie vs. Creeping Myrtle. Every summer they jockey for position. Sometimes they erupt upward in the fight for sun. Every now and then I intervene to keep it interesting.

In the front it is Sweet William vs The World.
jhain
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Creeping Charlie, anyone know how to get rid of it?

Postby butters » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:30 pm

Paco wrote:it's growing in my front lawn in the sun, and in my back where there's lots of shade and in the garden.

Has anyone had it and gotten rid of it? Or knows what will work?? This stuff is annoying.

I also have a huge outbreak of Charlie in my backyard, which is a carry-over from last year due to my laziness. You can knock it out with some sort of herbicide, which may be the right time of year to stop their growth spurt (april to early june). Google search and read the labels. My strategy this year is the ultra-pc way of dealing with it. I just take the time and pull it out by hand, being careful to pull out the extensive vine network. The end result is a seriously damaged patch of fucked-up turf. Good luck.
butters
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Learned » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:43 pm

We've got it bad, too. I think it will be especially thick this year because of our saturated soil.

Here's some good info:

Creeping Charlie
Learned
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:17 am

I pull it out of the flowerbeds but just leave it in the lawn. Enough of this green-shag-rug mentality. Actually, in the shade it grows better than grass anyhow.

The old farmer who lived next door when I was a kid said it was a sign of an acid soil. He called it Creeping Jenny instead of Charlie but it was the same plant.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jhain » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:39 am

snoqueen wrote:He called it Creeping Jenny instead of Charlie..
Sexist Creep!ing
jhain
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Catch All