MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, July 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 67.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

New Reality Television Shows

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?

New Reality Television Shows

Postby MadMind » Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:33 pm

On VH1;
Scott Baio Is 45 And Single
http://www.vh1.com/shows/dyn/scott_baio ... ries.jhtml
Verdict: Yeah, I'll watch it.
Premieres tonight!

Rock Of Love (featuring Bret Michaels of Poison)
http://www.vh1.com/shows/dyn/rock_of_love/series.jhtml
Verdict: I'll watch the first episode, not sure if I'll follow it up. I can't stand that tool Bret Michaels.
"Every Rose Has It's Thorn" is vomit inducing. It brings back bad memories of that song playing during bus rides to Jr. High and the girls wearing that goddamn Poison T-shirt.
Premieres tonight!

On A&E;
The Two Coreys (Corey Feldman and Corey Haim)
http://www.aetv.com/the-two-coreys/
Verdict: Of course I'll watch it!
I'm still ashamed that back in '88 me & a friend decided to catch a flick. The decision was left up to me and I decided upon License to Drive over The Great Outdoors. How gay is that. License to Drive was rated PG-13 and and being the horny young-teen I was, I think I was hoping for some titties/sex scenes.
Last edited by MadMind on Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:07 pm

The Scott Baio show is like the movie 'High Fidelity' with Chachi in place of John Cusack.

Rock Of Love is like another friggin' Flavor Of Love show except with the trailer trash/rocker crowd.
Looks like there will be plenty of cat fights.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby zsa zsa » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:00 pm

Ice Road Truckers - the best new "reality" show :)
zsa zsa
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:22 pm

I'd like to see one with Forons.
Cross Survivor with Big Brother.
Pulsewidth, Ned, Chuck rip, Nev, Intolerator, Chubby, etc.....

Coup them up and don't let them leave.....Every week the final 'fuck you' would mean that person gets the boot.....that would be entertaining.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:27 pm

The Two Corey's is just way too overly scripted...
either that or they're just really bad actors.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby zsa zsa » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:08 am

dude....Corey Haim friend requested me on myspace. when I checked out his page, he only has female "friends" ....hilarious.
zsa zsa
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:10 am

Another good one is a new show by the creators of COPS, entitled Inside American Jail on Court TV.

zsa zsa wrote:Ice Road Truckers - the best new "reality" show :)

It was fairly entertaining. It did irritate me that they'd amp up the sounds of cracking ice as if somebody's trailer was going to fall through the ice.
Let me spoil it for all of you. No one breaks through the ice, no one dies.
Hugh, "The Polar Bear" was a real dick.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rezin » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:45 am

MadMind wrote:It was fairly entertaining. It did irritate me that they'd amp up the sounds of cracking ice as if somebody's trailer was going to fall through the ice.
Let me spoil it for all of you. No one breaks through the ice, no one dies.
Hugh, "The Polar Bear" was a real dick.

yeah he was, you'd think that losing driver after driver he might stop and consider that it might be him. the other guys for the most part seemed like reasonable people. i liked the show overall even with the artificially pumped up drama.

by far the worst thing about it though were the 2 accidents. the "footage" of those were horrible, it looked like they didn't have actual footage so they sort of recreated it and then amped up the sound effects and shook the screen to simulate the impact.
rezin
Forum Addict

Just For Laughs

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:27 pm

I've been enjoying Just For Laughs, on 27 lately. It's a rip-off of Candid Camera, and fun. I haven't been there in years, but it didn't take me long to wonder why it looked like Canada.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:08 pm

Did you happen to catch the season finale of Ice Road Truckers? If not I won't spoil who won, but I will say this.
Hugh had the unfair advantage of having spare rigs, and Alex skirted around the buddy system for his final run.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:55 pm

MadMind wrote:The Two Corey's is just way too overly scripted...
either that or they're just really bad actors.

"All of the above."

Has anyone caught "The Pick Up Artist" on VH1?

Is that the key to becoming a "playa?" Black nail polish, eyeliner, clothes from Hot Topic and a fuzzy hat.

Great. I'll also change my name to z-dog.
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:48 am

HeyZeus wrote:Has anyone caught "The Pick Up Artist" on VH1?

Is that the key to becoming a "playa?" Black nail polish, eyeliner, clothes from Hot Topic and a fuzzy hat.

Great. I'll also change my name to z-dog.

Hahaha. And don't forget about "Mystery's" goggles & outlandish glasses that he never seems to actually wear - other than on top of his head as some sort of forehead accessory.
What a joke.

My feeling is if you become that involved and reliant on "the game", then you've already lost.
I don't care for the message it's sending - that men have to do all the work.
And though that may be the precedent, playing "the game" may win a few battles but it doesn't win the war. It perpetuates the inequality that exists between men and women in what one has to do to gain attention and affection from the opposite sex.
It's disturbing to see just how many men and how easily men confuse taking charge of ones self to being a willing slave to the game, and therefore playing into women's hands so that the female part of the equation never has to lift a finger in the effort.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:05 am

Well, I figure the fuzzy hat trumps all other headwear. Any idea where I can get one of those?

From what I've read, the only thing The Pickup Artist is doing is whipping more bad pickup lines into our lexicon. So, I guess "how do you like your eggs, fertilized or unfertilized" can finally be retired.

I think that men/women do work equally as hard - men do play more offense. Women do play defense, though goalie seems to be the position of choice. Some women are better at it than others, since a number of my female friends tend to let a lot of douchebags into the net.

Back to The Pickup Artist, it's almost uncomfortable watching how socially retarded those guys really are. Though, those dorks really make for good television.

And what about Rock of Love? I love watching the sluts call the other sluts, "sluts." My money is on Jess, the girl with the pink/white hair.

The Two Coreys happen to be on right now. Hard to believe that Feldman became the "normal" one.
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:28 am

I forgot, did anyone catch Age of Love on NBC?

Bachelor-type show. 30yo, rich tennis star to be set up with a bunch of women. The youngest was 38/39, the oldest was 48. After he's introduced to and gets used to the prospect of dating cougars, they trot out a bunch of 20-something "kittens."

I figured the 48yo would be sent packing immediately, and she made it to the final 2. Go figure.

Discuss.......
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:01 pm

Anyone catch Kat Von D's new tattoo show LA Ink?
Kat's gone LA in more ways than one, and totally lost her physical appeal in the process for me.
She's lost weight, started wearing 10 lbs. of face paint, and in a preview for a future episode she...wait for it...gets implants :roll:

HeyZeus wrote:From what I've read, the only thing The Pickup Artist is doing is whipping more bad pickup lines into our lexicon.

One thing that annoys me is how they are taught to force an opener. Every one of the guys fabricated some lame ass story to open.

HeyZeus wrote:The Two Coreys happen to be on right now. Hard to believe that Feldman became the "normal" one.

Yeah I know. I've been watching the show even though it's a poor reality show and the fact that "the two coreys" are incredibly annoying. Haim seriously seems to be frozen in time as a teenager in every way.

HeyZeus wrote:I forgot, did anyone catch Age of Love on NBC?

See the thread New Dating/Relationship Shows {2007}.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to TV