MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, July 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 78.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

MCCCA to close, landlord responds

Theater, Dance, Visual Arts, Music That Doesn't Rawk, Overture issues, etc.

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:24 pm

From the article:

Taylor, who is African American, is upset at what the center's closing means for the downtown business community.

"I hate to play this card, but it has to be said: Other than the shoeshine man and a couple of successful lawyers I'm the only brother with a business downtown."

And what does Taylor hope to gain by playing "this card"? That someone might step in and save the center, not because of all the groups and artists who use and benefit from it, but because a black guy is losing his business. I understand how he wants to be seen as a positive role model, but that's a stupid comment.

Regardless of what he is charging, being a landlord is a business too. But all people see is a money grubbing tyrant, when actually the guy is just trying to collect the last five months rent.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby 2xBassist » Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:16 pm

I have to admit the "race card" commnet has been bugging me for that last couple weeks...

I think the city could (should) be doing more to support community arts groups, but when you're involved in a private venture, like the center, and you don't pay the ren, you get evicted.

I know Hanah pretty well, as I've played in his artet, and even have performed at the center. He has a big heart, and truly cares about the arts, and about Madison. I'm just irked that he's making himself out the be the victim in this case. He knew what it cost to run the place. An unfortunate situation, but that's what happens when the finances don't work out, regardless of how noble your cause. The groups that relied on using the center are the real victims.
2xBassist
Forum Addict

Return to The Arts