MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, November 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 48.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Finally got to Mad Dogs-It's the real thing!

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Finally got to Mad Dogs-It's the real thing!

Postby cubfan » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:43 am

Got to Mad Dog's on N. Henry (behind Cosi) and it's the real thing. Vienna hot dogs, Scala beef. All my favs from Chicago. My only disappointment was the lack of Lemon Ice (owner said it's on the way) and no fries (apparently they couldn't get a hood in the small space). They said if they do another their doing fresh-cut fries. The size is small like most Chicago stands and carry out. The girl at the register said they were thinking about delivery soon. Anyway the food--unbelievable! Italian beef and Italian Sausage (I think both Scala products) dipped in Gravy (au jus) THE BEST. Really glad to see that a real Chicago Dog is back in Madison. I have really missed Dog eat Dog. These guys do it right and said they ship their dogs up from Chicago fresh. Another tasty surprise was the meatball sandwich. Great texture, and provolone slices on top (hint, let the cheese melt first-keeps the sandwich together). Anyway, I've tried three menu items and am going back today for the Sausage with marinera and cheese....Cheers
cubfan

Re: Finally got to Mad Dogs-It's the real thing!

Postby TheBookPolice » Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:24 pm

cubfan wrote:Italian beef and Italian Sausage (I think both Scala products) dipped in Gravy (au jus)

To the Malapropism thread with you!

That being said, I'm glad this place has promise. More sausage and sausage products!
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Maxine » Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:28 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
That being said, I'm glad this place has promise. More sausage and sausage products!

No stealth marketing outrage?
Maxine
Forum Addict

Postby spanky » Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:45 pm

Chicago dogs were good but not great. The condiments, sitting in their juices in the condiment tray all combined on the dog to immediately soak the bun into a sopping wet mush, the condiments - peppers, tomoatoes, pickles - need to be stored in a container that strains the fluids - so to speak.

Otherwise, much potetntial for suck-sess.
spanky
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Maxine » Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:48 pm

spanky wrote:The condiments, sitting in their juices in the condiment tray

The condiments come au jus, too?
Maxine
Forum Addict

correct me

Postby cubfan » Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:47 pm

If I'm mistaken please correct, but in Chicago they call it au jus or gravy. Au jus is defined as "in it's own juices" and the gravy is derived from the beef fat and juice. Is the term reserved for how a food is served or stored? Thats just what I heard when I lived in Chicago. Let me know.
As far as the condiments, they seemed really fresh to me and the bun is served steamed, they always come soft and conform around the dog and condiments. My tomato was a little green in the middle though (too fresh huh?).
cubfan

Postby TheBookPolice » Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:09 pm

"Au jus" is not a noun. It is a prepositional phrase. One cannot equate "au jus" as a term with "gravy" as a term.

For all intents and purposes:

jus = gravy

au jus = with gravy

au jus /= gravy

Class dismissed.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dstol62 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:48 pm

I checked it out last weekend. The vienna hot dog at $3.75 is pretty good. The hot dogs are steamed, though mine was more luke warm than hot. Fries would definitely seal the deal, with regard to it's "Chicago-style" authenticity. Another spot for the same type of italian beef sandwich is Fraboni's, where they offer it as a weekly deli counter special.

During my conversation with the two young counter workers (both very enthusiastic), I was telling them about the place's original incarnation as "Red and White Hamburgers". One of my favorite recollections of that place was an old-school baseball pinball machine, which resided in the front right corner.
I also used to enjoy it when "Red", the crusty old owner used to charge people for reading, or using extra ketchup.
dstol62
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:24 pm

What a useful threadcrap, TBP. I didn't even interpret it in a way that would have annoying grammar nazis rolling their eyes. I read it as noting that the beef are served au jus, thus explaining why he was dipping it in gravy.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:32 pm

No fries? That's pretty hard to swallow.

The real question for this dog lover is: Do they have cheese dogs? If so, is it real cheese or cheesy food product?
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:41 pm

TA, get over it. I was nitpicking. In case you haven't noticed, it's kind of my thing lately.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:59 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:TA, get over it. I was nitpicking. In case you haven't noticed, it's kind of my thing lately.

In case you didn't notice, that makes you a jackass. Get over it.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Scotty » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:12 pm

Maxine wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:

No stealth marketing outrage?

Stealth marketing outrage sounds more like Marvell putting the heat on the Ice Cream Man!!
Scotty
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:23 pm

TAsunder wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:TA, get over it. I was nitpicking. In case you haven't noticed, it's kind of my thing lately.

In case you didn't notice, that makes you a jackass. Get over it.

TA doesn't accept self-deprecation as penance for being a little annoying. lifelongmadison thinks I'm ugly. Anyone else want to pile on?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:33 pm

TAsunder wrote:... annoying grammar nazis ....

This reminds me of a story I heard about a guy being audited by the IRS due to some rather marked discrepancies between his tax return and accompanying documentation. Apparently, it did little to help his cause when he accused the investigator of being a "number nazi." He agreed his numbers weren't exact, but surely they understood what he "meant."
Irrelevant to this thread, I suppose, but the phrase triggered the memory.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews