MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, August 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 71.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

"Reefer Madness" is Smokin', literally!

Theater, Dance, Visual Arts, Music That Doesn't Rawk, Overture issues, etc.

"Reefer Madness" is Smokin', literally!

Postby keelio » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:01 pm

Mercury Players Theatre is producing this insanely entertaining musical, based on the notorious film of the same name. Reefer Madness, The Musical opens on Thursday, Sept. 13, in the Drury Theater of the Bartell. More details here. And here.

And my hookah has a bit part, or a bit of my hookah has a part!
Last edited by keelio on Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
keelio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby keelio » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:20 pm

This musical has it all, seriously. A metapor for whatever menace the government deems we should fear, plus all this and more:

Innocence and unrequited love; the eternal battle of good and evil; sex, drugs, and ... jazz?; reefer, marijuana, giggle-sticks, etc.; Jesus Christ; Satan; cats and dogs; Uncle Sam; Shakespeare...a talented and very sexy cast...a smokin' live band floating above the stage...

Something for everyone, though best avoided by the prudish amongst us (as well as young children and the easily manipulated).
keelio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby keelio » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:36 pm

I can't believe I forgot to mention the zombies! Opens tonight!
keelio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby keelio » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:16 pm

Great opening weekend! Packed houses all three nights, and great crowd response. Nice review in The Cap Times:
"Reefer Madness" contains brief partial nudity, copious herbal cigarettes and numerous scenes that will likely disgust and offend extreme social conservatives. However, those who filled the theater Saturday night showed loud and vocal appreciation, capping off the show with a standing ovation.

Judging from the musical's early popularity, the Mercury box office anticipates continued full houses, so advance ticket reservations are suggested.

The show delivers a product that is true to its warning, and this headline is not exaggerated: One whiff of "Reefer Madness," and people are hooked.

As the reviewer says, get your tickets early or miss out on this entertaining maelstrom of marijuana-induced mayhem. Great fun to see it unfold from the bandstand...man, I wish I could see it from the audience perspective!
keelio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby keelio » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:47 am

Another rave review! Check out the Badger Herald.

And with
an animalistic orgy of sexarobic choreography
how can you miss this show?

Back on stage this Thursday at the Bartell - 4 shows through the weekend: Thurs., Fri., Sat. at 8 pm, and a Sat. matinee at 3:30 pm.
keelio
Forum God/Goddess

Return to The Arts