MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, October 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 50.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Oldest House on State St?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Oldest House on State St?

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:03 am

I saw Stu's little blurb on Ch15, this morning, about State St. He mentioned the Teddy Wedger building being one of the oldest buildings on State St. That reminds me of that big ol' house, set back between Gino's and the old Nedrebo's. In the intervening years, a small brick store front has covered it up. For a long time, an ugly phone booth stood there. I still have a color photo of it. Too bad that house was never renovated. Anyone know how old that place is?
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Oldest House on State St?

Postby barney » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:52 am

Bwis53 wrote:I saw Stu's little blurb on Ch15, this morning, about State St. He mentioned the Teddy Wedger building being one of the oldest buildings on State St. That reminds me of that big ol' house, set back between Gino's and the old Nedrebo's. In the intervening years, a small brick store front has covered it up. For a long time, an ugly phone booth stood there. I still have a color photo of it. Too bad that house was never renovated. Anyone know how old that place is?

Paging Mr. Levitan......
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby frozenCow » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:46 am

Are you referring to the house that was at 534 State Street? It was torn down in 1984 to build the brick building for Taco Bell.

We used to refer to it as "The Last House". It had a sign written in German above the porch that read "das letzte Haus".

I remember going to some parties there in the early '80s. It was rented out as several flats (at least three floors, if I recall). It was sad to see it go.

If you look at the old photos from early in the 1900s you can see that lower State Street had many houses. Some were later converted to businesses and had store fronts added to them, most were eventually torn down to build the current store buildings.

The "Last House" was unique in that it was still used as a residence and still looked like a house.

The building where the Sacred Feather is located is also a house, but that was converted to a business long ago.
frozenCow
Forum Addict

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:04 pm

Yeah, that's the place. I've only observed it casually. It looked like the store front just blocked the whole front. I didn't know they tore it down. Geez I keep feeling like that Ray Davies song!
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby square » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:09 pm

There is a house behind that glasses shop on the 600 block of state street, and a house behind the shop front of Steep and Brew. Those are the only houses I am aware of that have not been mentioned. I wish we still had that brewery (was it Sprecher or Hausmann?) on State Street.
square
Forum Addict

Postby frozenCow » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:44 pm

square wrote:I wish we still had that brewery (was it Sprecher or Hausmann?) on State Street.

It was the Hausmann Brewery at the corner of State and Gorham (next to today's Ragstock). I remember it was "rediscovered" in 1982 when they found the cellar of the old brewery while digging the basement of the current building on the corner of State and Gorham.

After the brewery building was torn down in the '20s, they built a filling station. The original 1920's filling station was replaced somewhere along the way with a modern Shell gas station.

By the late '70s (when they began the State St Mall conversion) a gas station wasn't real practical on that corner. I remember it was a flower shop (in an old 1960s era Shell station building) at the time they tore it down in 1982.
frozenCow
Forum Addict

Postby square » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:58 pm

I don't like some of the buildings they've put on State Street in the past 30 years. Specifically those two storied fronts on the corner streets (Gilman/State/Broom and Gorham/State) because who goes up to the second level? Especially the one above Real Chili, it's been a revolving door of mediocrity. The fact is that people appreciate State Street because it feels unique. Every storefront is different and if you were asked to imagine Art Gecko or the Exclusive Company or the Chocolate or Pauls Club you could probably see it in your head what the storefront looked like. Those mall-ish two-storied buildings lack any definition except a neon sign.

I think they're a real waste of space. I also have great distaste for the facade of the old YMCA, and the Goodman Building, and the Towers/Statesider. Disgraces even more so than the Gap, in my opinion.
square
Forum Addict

Postby Janiswanis » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:57 pm

It was fun to find this info about "The house" I now can show my children a picture of it. My home has pieces of it!!! The window between my living room and porch has the large oval window that faced state street, if only it could speak. It took me the better part of the summer to strip all the house paint from it. The trim from some of the windows are in 3 rooms of my house. All was lovingly stripped and refinished. I only looked for this online today cause I found some of the beautiful hardware from it in our basement. We were allowed to go into it the night before it was demolished and strip things, there were others too. This was before it was popular to do this.
Janiswanis

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:28 pm

Janis, thanks for resurrecting this thread.

I really wish Stu Levitan or David Mollenhoff would get it together and make a book about Madison from the 50's til now.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:51 pm

For those of you on the Face-tubes (sorry sno, I know you hate it), there's a great group called Lost Madison that posts a ton of old photos/ads/general memorabilia....
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Town Vibe