MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, August 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 75.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Wish You Were (Still) Here

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Postby msnflyer » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:47 am

More for the old timers:
The Cuba Club

House of Wing on Monona Drive. We'd pass our son over the bar to Grandpa Wing who would feed him maraschino cherries and regale him with stories of the old country. Wish I had a pic, Chinese grandpa with long wispy beard holding a blonde, blue-eyed toddler.
msnflyer
Forum Addict

Postby Pogoagogo » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:08 am

Wow, good Italian sausage and gravy from Josie's? If you want something comparable, try one of the selections offered by Chef Boyardee.

Seriously, 10 years ago I tried the sausage and gravy there. It was beyond awful. Really really fatty, no fennel, and just, well, bland. I wasn't a fan at all.

Fraboni's does a pretty good job with Sausage, in my humble opinion.

O.J. wrote:Atlas Pasta/Atlas Deli, whatever the hell it was called, was the place on Monroe Street that had, easily, the best and biggest sandwiches this town has ever seen. Ultimately, this was probably their downfall; their food cost had to have been through the roof. I was a fan of Radical Rye, too, but I don't put it quite on the same level. Could someone(especially all you Josie haters) point me in the direction of a restaurant that serves Italian sausage/gravy comparable to Josie's(that's all I ever ate there)
Pogoagogo
Forum Addict

Postby keef94 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:46 am

Great italian sausage can be had at Greenbush Bar on their pizzas and in a few pasta dishes. Real good, handmade, just the right amount of spicy.
keef94

Postby randr88 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:11 am

Old Old Timers

Spudnuts
Bittersweet
Pickney Street Hideaway
randr88
Forum Addict

Postby Ducatista » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:50 am

randr88 wrote:Pickney Street Hideaway

Remember their sign? I still think of it as the Hideawam.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:07 pm

Seconding Brat 'n Brau, and Zaritas...and the White Horse Inn for brunch. Anyone remember Kelly's on E. Wash, back in the day? Mmmm mint chocolate shakes. How about Mars (another burger joint)?
Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bellwether » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:25 pm

I'm all in for bringing back Big Mama & Uncle Fats.

I miss Sole E Sapori on Atwood (Phil's pizza kicked Papa's or Dom's in Mt. Horeb or the west side, though Dom had better spaghetti sauce -- and though Mt. Horeb's location is now the new family using what are supposed to be Vitale family recipes, it's not quite the same, of course).

I miss the Dutchman's Deli on PD/far west -- had a pretty generous sandwich at a reasonable price. Egg salad, hot beef, cold cuts, you name it. Nothing fancy, just... comfortable.

Creole Café on Monroe.

Smokey Bones.

La Paella.

And wishing I'd been here when Taqueria Gila Monster was.
Bellwether
Forum Addict

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:08 pm

Bee's Tavern (Emerson & Park) I used to work at Klein-Dickert, late 70's, and stop on by Bee's, enroute to home. It was run by a nice Italian family, who took good care of me. It was a really nice, working-class-neighborhood joint.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby granolagirl » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:16 pm

Wild Iris
Tacqueria Gila Monster
La Paella (before it was sold)
Opera House
granolagirl

Postby unabbreviated » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:31 am

Jave EsCafe on the square.

I also agree, La Paella before it was sold.
unabbreviated

More oldies

Postby Broadsheet » Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:15 pm

The Wilson Street Grill

The Library restaurant, the first one hidden in the basement.

The Palms cafe in the Hotel Washington, and before that, the Hot L Cafe.

Brown's Restaurant off State Street (gave way to Rockly Rococo).

Both of Gus Paraskevas's Greek restaurants on State Street.

The Hatch Cover, in the days of muscle-boy waiters wearing pastel Lacoste shirts and little aprons.

And finally:

The Rigadoon Room at The Edgewater, gleaming low over the water with black leather banquettes, white tablecloths, railroad silver and crystal. A truly intimate room. Gave way to the upstairs Admiralty Room, which is like the Seven Continents at O'Hare used to be.
Broadsheet
Forum Addict

Postby square » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:18 pm

The Rig is still open for business, you just have to rent it out for a party. I can't say how it compares to the old Rigadoon, but of course they haven't thrown anything away.
square
Forum Addict

Postby jjoyce » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:30 pm

When I worked at the EdgeH20, some 14 years ago, the Rig as remembered fondly had been dismantled. No more cool bar, no more banquettes. There's still a nice view, but it's lost some of its charm. Not only that, but they have to run the food down from the main kitchen for your event, which led to some hi-jinx in my day.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lizC » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:36 am

I worked at the Palms for about seven years, right after the change over from the Hot L - still miss the place, and the people.

I remember going to the Rig with Chuck from Record World (not sure about the shop name, record shop on the library mall end of State) for Blue Hurricanes with dry ice in them.

Anyone remember Ellens Italian Beef on Old Univ across from Lombardino's?
lizC

Re: Wish You Were (Still) Here

Postby Gilman girl » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:14 am

-Porto Bananas has the best name of a restaurant and the salsa was brutally hot.
-Country Life cart near Helen C. White library (and the restaurant-not sure where it was but not downtown). Great vegan food before I even knew what vegan meant.
-Upstairs/Downstairs
-Shanghai Minnie's (old location) but would saturate clothes with smell from open cooking with oil.
Gilman girl

PreviousNext

Return to Cooking & Food issues