MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, November 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 19.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Anyone (or their parents) remember "The Friendly Giant&

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?

Anyone (or their parents) remember "The Friendly Giant&

Postby c-squared » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:17 pm

Hello everyone,
So it's like this:
I'm from Canada and there was a popular CBC children's show called "The Friendly Giant" that ran from 1959 until mid-80's.

Anyways, I just learned from the CBC archives that this show had its start right here in Madison, from 1954 to 1957. The originator went to Canada and took the show and concept with him.

So I'm curious - what channel was it on here? Why the move?

Please ask around for me.

Thank you.

Craig
c-squared

Postby Oprah » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:01 am

I asked around the office if anyone had ever seen the friendly giant. The end result:

(1) HR is forcing me to take a two week hostile work environment prevention class; and

(2) Blake from accounting does his best Gregory Hines impersonation in the stall next to mine whenever I take a dump.

Thanks a lot.
Oprah
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Harriet The Spy » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:45 pm

I didn't grow up in Madison but I remember The Friendly Giant really well, and could hum you the theme song, if you wanted me to. It's interesting what gets forever imprinted on the brain at age three.
Harriet The Spy
Forum Addict

Postby white_rabbit » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:14 pm

Harriet The Spy wrote:It's interesting what gets forever imprinted on the brain at age three.

Tell me about it. I'm still haunted by Bernadette's weird arm thing from "ZOOM"

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby chance » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:06 am

Harriet The Spy wrote:I didn't grow up in Madison but I remember The Friendly Giant really well, and could hum you the theme song, if you wanted me to. It's interesting what gets forever imprinted on the brain at age three.
I remember watching it on WILL-TV, the University of Illinois public television station. I also remember the theme song. For years I tried to find out what it was. Now that the internets has come along, the answer to every question ever asked is only a few clicks away: the theme was "Early One Morning", an old English folk song. The straight poop on "The Friendly Giant" is here.
chance
Forum Addict

Postby mayact4 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:38 am

I watched this show here in Madison on Channel 21. I think about it once in awhile....at the beginning, the "Giant" would say something like "Look up, way, way up" while the camera panned from foot to head. He then said.. "And I'll call Rusty". Do not even ask why I remember this so vividly, because I can't remember anything else about the show!
mayact4
Forum Addict

Postby c-squared » Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:44 pm

mayact4 wrote:I watched this show here in Madison on Channel 21. I think about it once in awhile....at the beginning, the "Giant" would say something like "Look up, way, way up" while the camera panned from foot to head. He then said.. "And I'll call Rusty". Do not even ask why I remember this so vividly, because I can't remember anything else about the show!

Hi, this is Craig again, the originator of this thread.
Thanks to all who responded (Oprah, please write back to let us know how that two week hostile work environment prevention class worked out).

By sheer luck I recently found that Doug Moe did an article on tFG in the February 2008 issue of Brava magazine.
http://www.bravamagazine.com/

One of the regular shticks tFG did was to place the toy chairs around the fireplace and say " . . . and a rocking chair for those who like to rock." When I got older and AC/DC came along with their album/song "For those about to Rock", my mind always triggered a connection between the two. Weird.

Craig[/code]
c-squared

Return to TV