MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Sunday, September 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 62.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Rapidograph pens and accessories

Theater, Dance, Visual Arts, Music That Doesn't Rawk, Overture issues, etc.

Rapidograph pens and accessories

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:10 pm

Artists of The Daily Page, lend me some advice. I've got an old Koh-I-Noor ultrasonic rapidograph pen cleaner and a handful of pen tips (is 'nib' the correct term?).

I'm not an artist or an architect or a draftsman or any other type of person who would use these. What should I do with them, and if I sell them, how should I go about doing it? How do I describe the tips? What numbers do I use to provide details?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:57 pm

If you really want to sell that stuff, try Craig's List. I'm thinking the person that needs it, knows what it is. I used to sell them a long time ago.

What I usually do, if I don't want to hang onto a set of something, is find a good place to donate them to. Support a budding artist. Support the Arts!
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby spanky » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:51 am

The ultrasonic cleanser (if working) is probably worth the most; new models can cost $100 - $150. Rapidograph nibs are notoriously fragile – especially the finer diameters. If they are in good working order they are probably worth a few bucks per nib, a set of seven pens (including nibs and body both) with case and ink is $60 so even a brand spanking new complete pen is less than 10 bucks (for stainless steel tips).

In listing the pens you should list the diameter in both millimeters and point size for instance - .25mm/‘000’ or ‘3x0’.

If the nibs are jewel tipped or tungsten carbide tipped (as opposed to stainless steel tipped) they are worth slightly more – again only if working properly.

You may want to include a photo and description of working quality in your listing so potential buyers can judge the quality without e-mailing or calling.
spanky
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:48 am

Sadly, I have no pens (perhaps the title of my OP was inappropriate), only nibs. Therefore, I am unable to determine the working order of the nibs. They look okay, but that probably doesn't mean much.

I saw that a slightly newer USC than the one I have sold on Ebay for $63. I figured that's where the money would be.

Would a fancier nib have some kind of marking on it to indicate its quality? If I'm sans original packaging, would I be able to tell visually?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby spanky » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:09 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Would a fancier nib have some kind of marking on it to indicate its quality? If I'm sans original packaging, would I be able to tell visually?

If I recall correctly the plastic casing around the point’s counterweight is colored differently for each material, clear for steel, pink/red for jewel and blue?? for tungsten carbide. Additionally on the larger point sizes you can visually identify the different materials.
spanky
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:45 pm

Hey, if anyone's interested, it's up on Ebay.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby spanky » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:40 am

TheBookPolice wrote:Hey, if anyone's interested, it's up on Ebay.

If anyone asks - the nibs in black pastic housings are Koh-I-Noor, the nibs encased in blue plastic are Staedtler Mars. From my experince Koh-I-Noor pens work better/last longer.
spanky
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:29 pm

Sold with a BIN!

There's your drinking money for all/part of the week.
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:52 pm

Don't I know it! Except I'm being a very bad seller; in the tumult of moving, I haven't shipped the little bugger yet.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:57 pm

Careful there, TBP, you don't want to be this guy:

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/33272
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:40 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Don't I know it! Except I'm being a very bad seller; in the tumult of moving, I haven't shipped the little bugger yet.

I guess you'd best get moving. My policy for eBay sales is 3 business days. During a busy week, I've stretched it with a sincere apology to my customers. So far, all have understood.

It also helps that the Madison USPS is open 24/7, so I can run in there at midnight with a dozen packages and be out by 12:05am.
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:21 pm

I know, I know. It's going out tonight.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Return to The Arts