MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, July 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 58.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Jade Monkey

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Postby juanton » Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:20 am

I was there last night. Loads of fun. The one owner I talked to was blown away by the turn out. They were getting slammed. This neighborhood needed something different and I think it will last.

Cruiser did an amazing job on the upholstery. The rest of the place looks great too.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby radtek » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:36 pm

We went there Sat night. Great bar! Just what this area needed. Good mix of people, good music, nice bartenders.......etc. They say the place is not quite finished, but it looks awesome so far!
radtek

Postby beenie » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:40 pm

I was there on Saturday night as well. My friends are all smokers, so we spent the entire time on the patio, which was nice - the fountain is a nice touch. The bartenders seemed a little inexperienced (but that will surely improve with time), and the prices were a little wonky (I was only charged $3.00 for a kamikaze (drink, not shot), but my husband paid $8.00 for a negroni), but we'll definitely be back.
beenie
Forum Addict

Postby zsa zsa » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:13 pm

beenie wrote:and the prices were a little wonky (I was only charged $3.00 for a kamikaze (drink, not shot), but my husband paid $8.00 for a negroni), but we'll definitely be back.

Actually that's pretty standard. I'm sure they didn't use rail gin in the negroni.
zsa zsa
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:12 pm

So how are the tappers/prices on taps? One reason I like Mickey's over other bars in the area/east side are their drink specials (especially the $1.50 Shiners).

snoqueen wrote:Everybody can go get something to eat at the Mexican take-out.

I hope you're not talking about La Bamba's (dry heave).
Last edited by MadMind on Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:53 pm

I was out of my neighborhood last Saturday and stopped at the Walgreen's on Monona across from the Jade Monkey. It looked like a nice spot and that area really seems to be developing into a nice neighborhood.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby VickySelkowe » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:36 am

We went to the Jade Monkey (formerly the Hammertime) Sunday night and were impressed. Really cool curved booths, two huge fish tanks, friendly & attentive bartender. Considering that the Hammertime bar's decor consisted mainly of 'We want our City Council back' &'We hate Mayor Dave' signs along the back wall, the change is pretty remarkable. The outdoor, covered patio looked very nice and had a big crowd for a Sunday evening (especially on a holiday weekend). One of the owners says that ice cream drinks, fruity drinks, baked appetizers & speciality cocktails are all coming in the next month or so.

Really nice to have a good option for a cold drink in the neighborhood, close to the lake and the bike path.
VickySelkowe
Forum Addict

Postby Learned » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:40 am

I got over there on Monday night. A definite improvement over (stop!) Hammertime. Good beer on tap - Ale Asylum's Hoppalicious, Capital Oktoberfest, Sapporo, Guinness, and a few others. Friendly bartender and cool shuffle puck game. I'll be back.
Learned
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:07 pm

MadMind wrote:

Probably referring to the real/authenic Antojitos Del Toril just down cottage grove road, but La Bamba is about the only thing you'll find open at bar-time. What else is there?
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:11 pm

eriedasch wrote:
MadMind wrote:

Probably referring to the real/authenic Antojitos Del Toril just down cottage grove road, but La Bamba is about the only thing you'll find open at bar-time. What else is there?

el Toril is open pretty damn late on (I think) Thursday through Saturday nights.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:13 pm

Here in this article from Dane 101, this pussbag describes her first experience with the Jade Monkey.
She's embarrassed to admit that she's like, been drinking past the isthmus's periphery before, because that's like sooo uncool. "Like, oh my god, one time I went to this scary local blue collar bar near there and thought I was gonna get beat up - for reals!"

She does provide one useful tidbit though, the Jade Monkey's (albeit unfinished) website.

http://jademonkeylounge.com/
Last edited by MadMind on Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:21 pm

Yeah Seriously that Dane101 article is like sorta well you know like terrible-ish. Tee Hee. Not since the blonde groupie whore from Max Ink has a local article made me want to slap somebody.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby BobArctor » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:41 pm

One of the owners, I am informed, is the spouse of locally infamous scam artist Mike Haight.
Having him near the register is bad luck.
If that's true, it's days are numbered.
Too bad. I kinda like the place.
BobArctor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:56 pm

BobArctor wrote:One of the owners, I am informed, is the spouse of locally infamous scam artist Mike Haight.
Having him near the register is bad luck.
If that's true, it's days are numbered.
Too bad. I kinda like the place.

You should really change your middle name to douche bag.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby morriskatze » Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:01 pm

fisticuffs wrote:Yeah Seriously that Dane101 article is like sorta well you know like terrible-ish. Tee Hee. Not since the blonde groupie whore from Max Ink has a local article made me want to slap somebody.

I agree - I just love her characterization of the bar patrons as "people that were sort of 'island of the misfit toys' ish." Meanwhile, she is the "adorable girl drinking a Pink Squirrel and doing Basic Statistics." :roll:
morriskatze

PreviousNext

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails