MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, December 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 36.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

#6 SEED?

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

What is the reason for the Badgers low seed in the NCAA tournament?

The Big Ten is down this year and shouldn't expect any high seeds
9%
The Conference Championship game was played too late to factor into the seeding
27%
The people making the bracket had their nose shoved so far into Duke's ass that they didn't notice that Wisconsin was ranked in the top ten
64%
Wisconsin plays FOOTBALL, not BASKETBALL
No votes

Total votes : 11

#6 SEED?

Postby pjbogart » Sun Mar 14, 2004 7:21 pm

Yadda yadda yadda... the Big Ten is down. Yadda yadda yadda... Wisconsin plays poorly in road and neutral games. So give us a four seed... a five seed is an insult and a six seed defies logic. We're 24-6 and we play in the Big Ten!!! We have one of the best point guards in the nation, we're undefeated at home and we finished the year with a seven game winning streak including five road or neutral games. Six seed???
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Mar 14, 2004 8:05 pm

The real kick is that Illinois is a five pick (Michigan State is a seven). At least the Badgers get to play in Milwaukee. It's almost a home game.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:59 am

Is that the reason they put us at 6? Can't win on the road? I missed the show and selection recap. I bet the announcers were surprised?
maybe they did that because being a 5 wouldn't be playing in Milw, or the same with a 4. I don't know what the brackets look like, not sure if the 4&5's would be playing in Milw.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby emmy » Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:48 am

I watched the selection show, there was no explanation for our #6.
emmy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:05 pm

I believe the #6 is so they can play in Milwaukee. That could be a huge advantage for the Badgers.
They're one of the better Badger teams ever right now and they'll probably be even better next year. Wow! What a time to be a fan.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Learned » Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:19 pm

supaunknown wrote:I believe the #6 is so they can play in Milwaukee. That could be a huge advantage for the Badgers.
They're one of the better Badger teams ever right now and they'll probably be even better next year. Wow! What a time to be a fan.

ESPN's Andy Katz called it the biggest screw-up of that bracket. But, then again, he's a UW alum. :shock:
Learned
Forum God/Goddess

It's a frickin' oatrage

Postby Marvell » Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:00 pm

Like Little Debbie snackcakes, the #6 seeding is an oatrage.

Hopefully, this enrages Bucky into a Pitt-destroying frenzy. It better, because as much as I dig the Golden Knights, I don't think they're going to beat a Pittsburgh team that lost to UConn by just three points in Madison Square Garden. It's conceivable that Bucky could have a shot, although it's a slim chance - just this: Mader, Freddie, Hanson, Nixon, and Wade all have to play above themselves. Everybody knows that Pitt has more talent, top to bottom, than this year's Bucky squad - after Devin and Wilkinson it drops off precipitiously. In my opinion (which is probably not the majority one) Morley has shown a talent level that would earn him a spot on the bench at any major program, but after that it gets pretty dicey. Would Freddie even get a scholarship at Duke? He might, might have been able to walk on, but even that seems a stretch - Freddie's game is just too damn ugly for Duke (and I mean that in the best possible sense of the word 'ugly'). Boo looks like he might be coming around, and Ray's still got the potential to be a more-athletic Maurice Linton, but it's really the Cheese Golem and Preparation-H (which is to say, Mader and Hanson) whose dramatic deeds (or dunderpated drolleries) will dare drear doom's dark deem this March of (as they say) Madness.

- Marvell, breakin' it down auld school (shout out to my homie Hrothgar!)
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:55 am

I think Boo and Nixon have a "selfishness" tendency which can be harmful at best and disastrous at worst. The Badgers shouldn't concern themselves with top to bottom individual talent. Their talent is really the overused term "basketball IQ." Strong fundamentals and solid team play. It really comes down to streaking at the right time and deflating the emotional drive of your opponent. They are also very well conditioned, that's why they tend to pull away in the second half. You can have loads of talent, but if your conditioning is poor you have a tendency to allow your opponent to hang around.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:34 pm

What I want to know is, what exactly does Duke have to do in order to NOT get a #1 seed? Usually the committee takes a close look at the last 10 games in determining who gets in and seedings; Duke went 6-4 over this span. Not awful, but not #1 seed material. Hell, Northwestern went 6-4 over their last 10 also, and I didn't see anyone clamoring to make them a #1. Then the NCAA went and put them in the bracket with all the underachievers (Illinois, Arizona); heck, couldn't they have given them a spot at the Kohl Center on Friday instead? Randolph could probably give them a better game then most of the also-rans in the ATL region.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking