MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 62.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Gotham's Eats are Damn Good

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Postby TAsunder » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:54 am

I could eat two of them as well, but one is enough for indigestion and daily caloric intake limit.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Troy Thiel » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm

TSA,

I didn't identify any mythological "good deli" in Madison because I don't know of any. I was hoping Gotham would be it, but until they hit the price points and bells and whistles right they won't be it...it's early, there's still a chance. As you've seen in a lot of the posts on this, I am not alone in giving them a so so review...and the crowds, or lack there of, during lunch time while Old Fashioned and Cafe Soleil are busy are telling. I wish em luck...adapt and succeed is a pretty normal mantra in the very difficult restaurant business.

For one of those mythological great deli experiences, travel 3 hours south to Manny's Deli in the Maxwell street area of Chicago. It's worth the trip...but of course you can package it with other things.

Restaurant trends here that should be exported to Chicago? Any of the Food Fight themes would be good fits in many locations there, Burge style places as well...and many others.

Good food scene here, unfortunately that's the challenge of losing weight...hopefully Gotham can improve and move up the ranks.
Troy Thiel
Forum Addict

Postby querelle » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:30 pm

Have they stopped serving bagel chips with their sandwiches? I got a takeout sandwich the other week and instead of the yummy bagel chips I had a craving for, there was a small cup of hominy or some shit.

And I'll agree that their bagels are awesome, but $9.50 for a bagel sandwich alone is a little ridiculous. Keeps me from going there regularly, which I would if the price was lowered even by a couple dollars.
querelle

Postby fennel » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:26 pm

querelle wrote:And I'll agree that their bagels are awesome, but $9.50 for a bagel sandwich alone is a little ridiculous. Keeps me from going there regularly, which I would if the price was lowered even by a couple dollars.

$9.50???

Let's let this little hobby shop die an ignominious death, and wait for a Montreal immigrant to set us up with some real bagels! (Might be a long wait, I grant you.)

Bagel-nymphs hourly ring it's knell:
Ding-dong.
Hark! now I hear them - ding-dong, bell.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:55 pm

querelle wrote:And I'll agree that their bagels are awesome, but $9.50 for a bagel sandwich alone is a little ridiculous. Keeps me from going there regularly, which I would if the price was lowered even by a couple dollars.

Be fair: there's only one sandwich on the menu that costs $9.50, and it isn't even served on a bagel.

Y'know, I linked to the menu for a reason, kids.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:01 pm

I got a bagel breakfast sandwich and a VitaminWater for about $5.50 last Saturday at Gothams. It was quite yummy.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:14 am

TheBookPolice wrote:
querelle wrote:Y'know, I linked to the menu for a reason, kids.

Ach. And it's only in PDF, so I can see why the link didn't bear repeating.
But Google picks up the slack:

http://tinyurl.com/2acwj6

And remember, things could be worse:
http://www.zingermansdeli.com/content/pages/menu.php
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:27 am

fennel wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:Y'know, I linked to the menu for a reason, kids.

Ach. And it's only in PDF, so I can see why the link didn't bear repeating.
But Google picks up the slack:

http://tinyurl.com/2acwj6

And remember, things could be worse:
http://www.zingermansdeli.com/content/pages/menu.php

It's funny you make repeated mention of Zingerman's. It's where Gotham gets its cream cheese.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:14 am

TheBookPolice wrote:It's funny you make repeated mention of Zingerman's. It's where Gotham gets its cream cheese.

What? Can't find cream cheese in "America's Dairyland"? Somehow that's not surprising. But I also hope that is changing.

Where does it come from, then? Vermont? California?
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:26 am

fennel wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:It's funny you make repeated mention of Zingerman's. It's where Gotham gets its cream cheese.

What? Can't find cream cheese in "America's Dairyland"? Somehow that's not surprising. But I also hope that is changing.

Where does it come from, then? Vermont? California?

As you might guess from the NY-o-philia of this establishment, there isn't much of a priority on "homegrown." They tend to focus more on what they view as "premiere" or "top of the line." This is, of course, for better or worse, and is probably to blame for their menu reductions of late.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:23 am

Food fight in chicago? While I'd be glad to see their entire restaurant chain exported there, never to return, I don't see why they would be remotely successful in chicago.

I don't see a lot of so/so reviews of the food. Maybe my eyes deceive me.

As for local stuff... it doesn't seem like gotham has that as a priority at all. I think they are going more for "from new york" as their theme. They even get coffee cake from brooklyn.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:41 am

TAsunder wrote:Food fight in chicago? While I'd be glad to see their entire restaurant chain exported there, never to return, I don't see why they would be remotely successful in chicago.

I think Richie Melman has a solid hold on that market in Chicago. Damn, why'd he have to go and close Fritz That's It!?
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Troy Thiel » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:52 pm

At least RJ Grunts still lives in Lincoln Park!

Where Fritz's was is a great Tapas place....Tapas Barcelona...will the new steak place at the Womens Building have tapas?

TSA...what can I say? You choose what you want to see and disregard the rest (with apologies to Simon and Garfunkel)...to each his own.

Bluephies would work well in about 250 different neighborhoods in the Chicago Metropolitan area...but what do I know?

Melman's Bones in Lincolnwood(the old LWoods)is a great rib/steak place.

Can we stop talking about food now? I'm trying to lose 10 pounds!
Troy Thiel
Forum Addict

Postby TAsunder » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:13 pm

Bluephies would work well here, too, if they would just close up shop on monroe and then open a tiny shop downtown that just sold cookie dough eggrolls and bread.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:25 pm

Gawd I hate transplanted New Yorkers.
And New York is even worse.
You know I can't find a decent hunk of Real Wisconsin cheese there?
Sucks.
But anyway: I had the Long-Guy-Land sandwich. (Get it? Long...Island...it forces that annoying accent right into your mouth! It is to laugh.)

It was 2 or 3 bucks more than I like to pay for the same sandwich elsehwere (my turkey sam mie search) but it was incredibly edible. Good even.
It did take about 20 minutes and I was alone in the store. Perhaps there was a tearful encounter in the employee breakroom. No matter.
I did not get bagel chips with my sandwich.
You would think that at 9 bucks I would.
I had to pull one out of the trash to try.
Mmm!

BTW: the owner, Ian, is FROM New York.
So shut up.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews