23%

Total votes : 30

Soda vs. Pop

Postby Paco » Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:40 am

Do you call it 'SODA' or 'POP'?
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:48 am

I'm from the Midwest (ok, I'm a FIB), so I was surprised when I discovered that they didn't call it "pop" in other parts of the country. I moved out to Maryland, and I remember the look I got the first time I asked for a "pop" at the cafeteria. It was a look that screamed, "Say what? You aren't from around here, are you?"
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:03 am

I grew up (UP) calling it pop. When I went away to college in Green Bay, I started calling it soda.

Not related, but this whole soda v. pop thing reminds me of one time when I was in Texas. I asked the nice lady at the checkout counter if they had a Tyme Machine around. She looked at me funny and said(in a serious Texas twang), "Yes we do, and we call them clocks around here" as she pointed to the clock on the wall.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby S SKWEEZER » Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:02 am

When I think if someone saying "pop" I imagine a dirty, toothless,
wire-haired, skinny man. :lol:
S SKWEEZER
Forum Addict

Postby Marge » Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:51 am

white_rabbit wrote:I grew up (UP) calling it pop. When I went away to college in Green Bay, I started calling it soda.

Not related, but this whole soda v. pop thing reminds me of one time when I was in Texas. I asked the nice lady at the checkout counter if they had a Tyme Machine around. She looked at me funny and said(in a serious Texas twang), "Yes we do, and we call them clocks around here" as she pointed to the clock on the wall.

Yeah, the first 4 years I lived in Wisconsin I thought "Tyme Machine" was the funniest thing. And now I don't even think twice about it.
Marge
Forum God/Goddess

Postby apollovox » Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:46 pm

Neither. It's coke (if it's dark) and sprite (if it's light) or maybe root beer (if it's, you know, root beer).

Someday y'all will understand this. :)
apollovox
Forum God/Goddess

Postby guacamole » Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:03 pm

apollovox wrote:Neither. It's coke (if it's dark) and sprite (if it's light) or maybe root beer (if it's, you know, root beer).

Someday y'all will understand this. :)

I learned about it when I had a roommate from New Orleans; I'm sure it'll be reinforced when I move to Baton Rouge. :)

Soda, by the way. Or sody-pop if I'm being weird about it.
guacamole
Forum Addict

Postby Ducatista » Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:10 pm

There is but one true Soda. And that's Tab. And yes, they still make that ââ?‰?Â
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby guacamole » Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:15 pm

Ducatista wrote:serious carbonation of the bunghole.

that made my day.
guacamole
Forum Addict

Postby Bruno » Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:41 pm

I'm writing in "soft drink" for my vote. :D
Bruno
Forum God/Goddess

Postby skrattypants » Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:34 pm

pop. soda is that flavorless stuff they squirt from bar hoses into bad scotch.
skrattypants
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bassbari » Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:49 am

Growing up in Northern Illinois we called it pop and soda was an ice cream soda from a soda fountain. But just over the border in Wisconsin when I came to school here, I converted as well under confoming pressure from my Wisconsin roommates.
bassbari
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:33 am

Ducatista wrote:There is but one true Soda. And that's Tab. And yes, they still make that - next person who asks me that is going to experience some serious carbonation of the bunghole.

The Tab drinker underground exposed:
http://www.newyorker.com/talk/content/a ... lk_mcgrath

Steve Isaacs, a self-described Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?â??Tab nutÃ?¢ââ??¬? and former Washington Post editor who teaches at the Columbia Journalism School, has been told by several doctors not to drink it. Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?â??I tell them to go to hell,Ã?¢ââ??¬? he said recently. Isaacs used to work at CBS, where his boss, Van Gordon Sauter, often drank two Tabs at breakfast. Now Isaacs may be the most influential Tab advocate in the business: he begins each semester by holding up a Tab and asking students to come up with a hundred story ideas inspired by the can.

At the end of last term, Isaacs threw a party for his students, at which he served Tab. Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?â??I was surprised at how many of them drank it,Ã?¢ââ??¬? he said. Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?â??One was putting Scotch in it. I mean, that sounds fucking awful.Ã?¢ââ??¬? Isaacs no longer drinks alcohol, for health reasons, but he doesnÃ?¢ââ??‰â??¢t much mind, because he thinks that the flinty taste of Tab is like a fine Sancerre.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby zelda » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:54 am

I think we said sodapop, or coke in the generic sense - "let's go get a coke' meant any soft drink. And we all did drink mostly only coke back then - at a soda fountain - cherry cokes, vanilla cokes, chocolate cokes..... In my adult years I rarely drank any except coke when driving cross country - for the caffeine. I have recently sworn off the Coke after realizing that CocaCola is one of the top 10 worst companies in the world for human rights and the ecology. Preachy, preachy, preachy, sorry.
zelda
Forum Addict

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:15 am

Pop

But my favorite, as a kid, at a real soda fountain, was
Lime Phosphate with a scoop of vanilla icecream! I can duplicate that with a Green River.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Catch All