MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 63.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Mexican Place in Market Square

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Mexican Place in Market Square

Postby aaron » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:27 am

I could have sworn there was a post on this months ago, but I can't seem to find it. A new Mexican restaurant in Market Square on Odana Road...I cannot recall the name. Nor can I seem to find it, though I have driven through Market Square a couple of times looking for it.

Recommended? If so, where the hell IS it in Market Square?
aaron
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:36 am

it's right at the entrance to market square, on the right, next to where the jeweler used to be.
i was there in mid august and cannot recommend it. service was excruciatingly slow, and food was overpriced and mediocre.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby aaron » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:12 am

depinmad wrote:it's right at the entrance to market square, on the right, next to where the jeweler used to be.
i was there in mid august and cannot recommend it. service was excruciatingly slow, and food was overpriced and mediocre.

Dep, what's the name of this place? Thought I might at least check out their menu on their website--if they have one. (Do they have carry-out?)
aaron
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:15 am

Tres Amigos? If that's that place (I don't think it's open anymore) it wasn't very good food.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:54 am

no no no, tres amigos is further up on odana and closed, thankfully. this place has intimations of mexican gourmet, but not done well.

anyway, it's called la mestiza.

http://www.thedailypage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22211
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:59 am

Mixed breed female?

Nice name.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:55 pm

La Mestiza is the latest in a series in that location. afetr the Sacramentos sold the place, it was La Querentana, and now it's La Mestiza. I keep hearing that they're eventually going to focus on Oaxacan food and they'll have a new menu soon. We shall see.

I've eaten there once. It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't great either. I liked Sacramento a lot better.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenieU » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:51 pm

Mestisa doesn't do tex-mex street food like tacos and burritos. Instead they are doing sit down dinner entrees. I had lamb shoulder that was drenched in a deep brown serrano pepper sauce-very satisfying. Others tried chicken in mole sauce which was credible, but could have been bolder and chicken in a red sauce which obtained some of its color because of red cabbage. They are obviously strong on sauces.

State or Monroe street would be a great location for a bright, artsy, ambitious joint like this, however I fear it will languish at Market Square.
GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:18 pm

It sounds like they've updated their menu, as last tiem I was there it was the standard tacos-and-enchiladas menu.

I could go for some lamb shoulder.

Are they still doing a lunch menu of any kind?
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:00 pm

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DedeTate » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:43 pm

I had an amazing dinner at La Mestiza in September - I tried the cochinita pibil referenced in that review. It was awesome.
DedeTate
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:11 am

Ms Vilas and I ate their last night. We went early (5 pm) because of the recent WSJ review, as we thought it might be busy. Only ones there at first, but it filled up by the time we left. Service was very good.

Homemade chips and two sauces, a red (chipolte?) and a green (lots of cilantro). We ordered the guacamole, which was chunky and not blenderized. Also lots of cilantro. Asked for margaritas on the rocks before we saw the menu. That's they only style they serve. Guess they have no need for a blender (which is good).

Ms had the chili rellenos and I the pollo con mole. Very tasty, but again, lots of cilantro. We both like it, but supertasters out there might want to ask them to cut back.

Total bill, with tip - fifty bucks. We'll be back.

http://www.lamestiza.net/
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby aaron » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:17 pm

Same experience as HV, only was there for lunch last week. Also had the chile rellenos...very good! Loved the chips, both salsas and the guac. Service excellent and friendly. Will DEFINITELY go back.
aaron
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:12 pm

Went for lunch today.

$6 lunch specials. Seriously.

Anyway, the food was pretty good. Certainly different from standard taqueria fare. Most of their menu is given over to big dishes like carne asada, the conchinita pibil, etc. And those don't come cheap. But thankfully they have the aforementioned lunch specials.

Of course they had chips and salsa. The chips were fresh and were still a little warm and oily from the fryer. Tasty, though. The red salsa was a roasted guajillo sauce that was smoky, reasonably hot, and just a little bitter. The tomatillo sauce was bright and citrusy and my favorite of the two. Lots of cilantro, as mentioned above.

So for my $6 +tip I got lamb shoulder stewed with pasilla chile sauce. The lamb was ridiculously tender. More tender than just about any lamb I've had before. The pasilla sauce was subtle - not particularly spicy, but it did add a little bit of pleasing smoky sourness to the overall dish. It came with fresh tortillas which, unfortunately, were so strongly corn-flavored that they overwhelmed the sauce (so I skipped them for the most part). The associated beans were good, and actually had bean-like texture instead of being a mass of refried wallpaper paste. The rice was less impressive, and tasted faintly of peanuts for reasons I can't pin down.

But seriously, the lamb? Awesome, especially for $6.

They also had other specials including ribs, simmered fresh oysters with bell peppers, and chiles rellenos. They have a fairly extensive lunch menu as well but those seem to be more standard taco/tamale/enchilada type items (albiet usually with regional twists).

I ntoed they also had a weekend brunch menu, which could be intruiging.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby chleppr » Wed May 28, 2008 10:21 pm

We went there tonight for our anniversary. The owner greeted us and made us feel like we were walking into his home. He asked how we had heard about them and was so friendly.

The homemade chips and salsa were great. We got the pickled vegetables, which were very tasty. The lamb was so tender and a generous portion, and so were the vegetarian enchiladas. Shared a glass of sangria, and it was pretty good.

We had great service the whole time and the food was awesome. Then, to top it off, the owner brought us out a free piece of Tres Leches cake since we told him we were there for a special occasion.

We live on the far East Side and will definitely drive the distance to return. Must say it is the best authentic Mexican we have had since we were in Cabo.
chleppr

Next

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews