MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, July 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 54.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

East Washington..... anything coming?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Postby Bwis53 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:51 pm

Maybe the DOA, will still let go of its E. Wilson building for richi condos and build on what they say would be a "downtown location". (E. Washington?)

I do like that HyVee(?) is turning the old Kmart, into a grocery store. It has gotta be run better than Copps. For me, seeing the potential, on E.Washington, just sit, is a little frustrating.

Anyone know anything about an old building, turned condo, (the old Johnson building?) on E. Washington? The outside is very plain, and I'm wondering what they cost? I'm at Hilldale, a lot now, and saw it built. But I like that old feeling I get from my pop's old factory days, near Willy.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:17 am

Bwis53 wrote: Anyone know anything about an old building, turned condo, (the old Johnson building?) on E. Washington? The outside is very plain, and I'm wondering what they cost? I'm at Hilldale, a lot now, and saw it built. But I like that old feeling I get from my pop's old factory days, near Willy.

The Johnson building at ingersoll?

I don't know anything about condos there. That used to be the Hoffman House sauce company. Cool old factory building with huge windows, I still have a picture of it somewhere. Filling in those big windows with stucco and sticking menard's cheapest little double-hungs in there was a crime if you ask me. I couldn't live there just knowing how cool it could've/should've been.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:39 am

Yup, you'da thought they'd make it more lofty looking, like Das Kronenberg or that place at the end of West Wilson. (Sweets?) A lofty place on E.Wash would be the tits. I've been in one of the Enterprise buildings. It's fun to wander around there and feel the ghosts of all my pop's old factory co-workers.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby uwstudent » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:13 pm

We need skyscrapers. From the Cap on down to the Yahara river. At least my SimCity version makes it work well. And commuter rail back and forth to the surrounding areas. Tall glorious gleaming skyscrapers. Bout time Madison hits the big time. We can do it people. Show the world.
uwstudent
Forum Addict

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:52 pm

Now I know what Brink and Mayor Dave are playing.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:00 am

They don't have to scrape the sky but there's no reason not to have 10-15 story buildings from first st. to the capitol. The capital/gateway corridor plan mentioned earlier in this thread looks great.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mifflander » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:57 am

Paco wrote:If you click on the banner ad on this page, you'd see there's a condo project on about block 600E. And it will be 5 floors tall, not 4! Can't believe they got that past the neighborhood association.
http://www.thecolonymadison.com/

Otherwise, not much going on.

All the artists renditions on their website look like a three story structure now.

The website has some funny stuff on it. Like refering to Breese Stevens Field as a nearby recreation area. First off the place sits empty and locked up 300+ days a year. Second, watching the occasional H.S. soccer game may not be most folks idea of recreation.

Another pretty humorous page on the website is the "aerial" view of the Capitol from the site of The Colony. Obviously no one will ever have a view like that since they aren't building a 50 story stucture. What folks will have a nice view of is the Salvation Army next door (and it's always bustling parking lot) and Polly's Goodyear on E. Wash on the one side and some marginally maintained Reynolds Trucking property on the other. Upscale indeed. I guess you'd be able to see the Capitol dome from the roof top garden.
mifflander
Forum Addict

Postby Bwis53 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:52 pm

Why can't E. Wash. be more like University Av.? I'm wondering what effect, building a hospital or medical center, near American Family, will have.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:41 pm

It was my understanding Salvation Army was moving somewhere else.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:59 am

snoqueen wrote:It was my understanding Salvation Army was moving somewhere else.

Where did you get that news?

They still need to be on a good bus route.

http://www.thedailypage.com/isthmus/art ... icle=14401

They can't all live at the YWCA. And I hope the Y stands long.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bmasel » Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:49 am

narcoleptish wrote:They don't have to scrape the sky but there's no reason not to have 10-15 story buildings from first st. to the capitol. The capital/gateway corridor plan mentioned earlier in this thread looks great.

They'd sink. Area used to be known as the Great Central Swamp. All the sewer upgrades are intended to alleviate, but can't solve.
bmasel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:43 pm

You said that earlier in the thread. If this is true why is it never spoken of? Why would the city bother to put together a plan that includes tall buildings if they cannot be built? Why wouldn't all the anti-tall building neighborhood people use this seemingly fool-proof argument instead of whatever other reasons they come up with?

Just asking.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:13 pm

It would be expensive, but pilings could be driven down to bedrock, in order to build tall on that area of the Isthmus.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SombreroFallout » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:02 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:It would be expensive, but pilings could be driven down to bedrock, in order to build tall on that area of the Isthmus.

That's what they did just north of Regent when they put in dense student housing some years back. The density also pays for the added expense.

Curt Brink's project involved that and dewatering the site and these elements work togegther. It's an issue all over Madison.
SombreroFallout
Forum God/Goddess

Postby roadkill bill » Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:44 pm

Central Mexico City used to be a lake, and they have some pretty tall buildings there. Of course, some of the older ones - colonial era - are indeed sinking. And they have bad earthquakes as well, not good when there are tall buildings on fill. Of course, that's a problem in San Francisco too.

Chicago used to be a swamp, and that is the home of the skyscraper.

I'm sure the developers in Madison can figure out how to build in the Great Swamp if they want it bad enough.

Whether it's a good thing is another discussion entirely.
roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Town Vibe