MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Sunday, September 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 56.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Aliens and Dinosaurs, Oh My!

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Postby MadMind » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:07 pm

The attraction Alien War is coming back in 2008.

"Alien War will be brought back April 2008 to London for its 15th Anniversary, the unit will be total mobile and can be flat packed and taken to other venues, next will be Europe, Japan and finally the USA."

http://www.myspace.com/alien_war
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:21 pm

So did anyone go see AVP:R? I hear it was pretty bad.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Velvet Coffin » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:25 pm

With slight embarrassment I raise my hand. I got liquored up beforehand (and during, I admit) in hopes that the demon rum would bolster my ability to grin at a showdown between the rubber-suited acid saliva team and the rubber-suited dreadlocks team.

It was a paint-by-numbers production that failed to live up to its somewhat muscular AVP predecessor. Unsurprising. The lack of asskicking surprised me, though. Dark shots, impenetrable action, insufficient aliens-- eh, you've read it all in the reviews. Why, though, did they abandon the brilliant Predalien hybrid possibility of jaws opening in two directions... with another tiny mouth within that opens in two directions? Heresy! (The friend who saw it with me says it was there. But in all that murk, who could see for sure?)

Misanthropes may enjoy the sadistic nature of the human deaths. Moppets, infants, and laboring women all fall prey to Aliens, some in intensely disturbing ways. I thought it was the only effective sense of humans-as-prey that the movie communicated-- I'm sure it was meant solely for shock value, though.

On a scale of Predator 2 to Alien, I give it a miliAVP. (The Alien scale is metric.)
Velvet Coffin
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:34 pm

AVP Requiem coming out on DVD April 15th!
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:33 am

I spent/wasted $4 renting AVP: Requiem and WOW!
That movie was absolutely horrendous! What a complete waste of film! Even the Pred-Alien design was an incomprehensible mess.
I feel embarrassed to have even ever displayed anticipation for the release of this film on an internet forum.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Aliens and Dinosaurs

Postby MadMind » Sat May 02, 2009 12:49 am

New news on Alien 5.
Ridley Considers Return to Aliens

I've changed my stance on the AVP movies. Prior to the disaster that was AVP: Requiem, I saw the AVP franchise as an entertaining, but otherwise harmless exercise in fluffy, empty-calorie cinema. Now I see it for what it really is - a disease.

Before 20th Century Fox greenlit Alien vs. Predator, James Cameron had been working on a story for a fifth Alien film. Alien director Ridley Scott had talked with Cameron, stating "I think it would be a lot of fun, but the most important thing is to get the story right."
On learning that Fox intended to pursue Alien vs. Predator, Cameron believed the film would "kill the validity of the franchise" and ceased work on his story, "To me, that was Frankenstein Meets Werewolf. It was Universal just taking their assets and starting to play them off against each other...Milking it."

Not only has AVP persuaded Cameron to cease work on writing a story for a fifth installment, it's even leaked it's way into gaming as a development & release of a third AVP game has leap frogged an Aliens game based on the Colonial Marines from Cameron's Aliens. Now it's planned to be released after the AVP game, though I wouldn't be surprised if it actually took the place of Aliens: Colonial Marines on account of them both being first person shooters, coming from the same publisher, and planning to be released within a year or two of each other. That would be market saturation.

As for Jurassic Park 4, it looks like (at least for now) that it's a no-go. Producers Say No To Jurassic Park 4

And really no substantial new news on The Thing, other than it's going to be more of a companion piece rather than a remake, telling the story of the Norwegian camp that found the Thing before Kurt Russell's group did.
Last edited by MadMind on Sat May 02, 2009 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Sat May 02, 2009 10:00 am

Ridley Scott considers Alien 5, Robert Rodriguez considers Predator reboot, Audience considers not showing up.

Let these movies die, and die quickly.

there was ONE good predator movie and TWO good alien movies.

The comics and video games were fun, but thats because comics and video games are where crossovers like this belong since the more ridiculous they get the more enjoyable they are.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Sun May 03, 2009 12:33 am

Shipley wrote:Ridley Scott considers Alien 5, Robert Rodriguez considers Predator reboot, Audience considers not showing up.

Speak for yourself! I'd rather revisit the worst from the Alien or Predator films (except for AVP: Requiem) rather than that generic-ass Serenity or I Am Legend which you stood behind.

And if you really believe that if a fifth Alien movie directed by the director of the original that started it all was released that no one would show up - you're cracked!
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Sat May 23, 2009 12:31 am

MadMind wrote:
Shipley wrote:Ridley Scott considers Alien 5, Robert Rodriguez considers Predator reboot, Audience considers not showing up.

Speak for yourself! I'd rather revisit the worst from the Alien or Predator films (except for AVP: Requiem) rather than that generic-ass Serenity or I Am Legend which you stood behind.

And if you really believe that if a fifth Alien movie directed by the director of the original that started it all was released that no one would show up - you're cracked!

I may have to take that back. I just watched Ridley Scott's most recent film, Body Of Lies, and thought it was garbage. I guess I'm only a fan of Ridley's early works (Alien, Blade Runner). I could never get into Gladiator, Hannibal was an atrocity, Kingdom Of Heaven was no good, and American Gangster was OK at best.
James Cameron's filmography is much more impressive and based on that, I'd have wished that Cameron took the helm of Alien 5 rather than Scott.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Aliens and Dinosaurs, Oh My!

Postby MadMind » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:27 am

Alien Prequel Confirmed to be produced by Ridley and Tony Scott, and directed by Carl Rinsch.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind75 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:57 pm

So after plenty of struggle between 20th Century Fox and Ridley Scott, first concerning budget then moving onto casting, has now morphed into something entirely different entitled 'Prometheus' and is slated for release March 9, 2012.

Ridley Scott Directing 'Prometheus' For Fox; Noomi Rapace Locked

‘Alien’ Prequel Now Titled ‘Prometheus,’ Set For March 9, 2012, Noomi Rapace To Star
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind75 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:10 am

So how do you Aliens fans feel about this sudden turn of events?
It seems as if reactions have fallen into two distinct categories; Those who are relieved not to have anyone futzing with and possibly further damaging the beloved Alien franchise, and those who simply feel jipped and that 20th Century Fox and Ridley Scott were selling fans empty promises all along.

Personally, I'm in the latter camp. I was willing to take that leap of faith and let the director of the original film take the helm and mine the mysteries which made the original so great, consequences be damned. Now that it's going to be an entirely originial Sci-Fi film, rated PG-13 with at least one big name Hollywood actress (Theron or Jolie), my level of interest has taken a nose dive.

I feel let down and betrayed. I can't help but be a bit disappointed. In a way, starting something entirely new with no direct connection to Alien is taking the easy road.
I know there's plenty of Alien fans too afraid to want for exploration of the Space Jockey, but no matter how much time goes by, always residing in the back of my mind, it will be something I'm always going to wish and hope for.

I'm a bit flabbergasted at just how much Fox had their grabby hands in Ridley's court with the Alien Prequel, with budget, with rating, and especially with casting.

I should've known it was too good to be true, that that washed-up old man who hasn't directed a film I've really liked since 1982, could've kept his focus and his eye on the prize, which was to make an ALIENS MOVIE!

If we're to judge by Ridley Scott's latest body of work, I'd say there's a good chance 'Prometheus' won't be anything special.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind75 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:23 pm

Prometheus plot reveal aliens are in it

Prometheus could still have xenomorphs

Pointed Details, And More Confusion (?), About The ALIEN Prequel/Non-Prequel/Maybe Or Maybe Not Kinda-Prequelish PROMETHEUS!

So here's the latest on Prometheus, claiming to have a much stronger connection to the Aliens Universe. Some are doubting the credibility of this scoop, but I really hope it's true. If it is, my interest & anticipation has been renewed.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Movies