MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 78.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

No Country For Old Men

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Postby TAsunder » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:44 pm

I agree about the theater. My favorite theater is watching a movie in HD at home. I'm hoping the PS3 comes down to an affordable price. I already got an HD-DVD player for $85. Once I have both formats covered, I can get excellent popcorn from vic's and watch virtually any movie in hi-def without annoying old people ruining my movie. And pause to pee. Or when my cat gets in my face to check his reflection in my corneas.

I don't care how much you think the coens brothers or mccarthy suck. Even you must admit that old people who blatantly ruin the ending of films you are about to watch suck much, much more.

I'm going to watch Logan's Run and think of it as a utopian fantasy this weekend.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:52 am

harrissimo wrote:
depinmad wrote:you know what happens to josh brolin

Really? Tell me - what happened to Llewellyn Moss? And what happen to his wife. Did she live? Did she die? You really don't know.

Are you kidding?

I thought this was a great movie. Seemed pretty resolved at the end to me.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:56 pm

harrissimo wrote:Now that I have read the book I have decided that this movie sucks. In fact, I have decided the Coen Brothers suck. I will go even further and say existentialism sucks. And while I'm at it, I must confess Cormac McCarthy sucks too.

And I need not mention, Sundance Sucks. I hope the popcorn machine explodes and burns that entire ugly mall, including those ugly codos and that chain steakhouse, down to the ground cause Hilldale sucks as well.

My favorite theatre is watching a DVD at home. My wife makes great popcorn. I can put the movie on pause if I need to take a piss.

Wow. Let's hope your wife keeps making that popcorn so we don't have to hear again about how everything else sucks. Stay in the womb!
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lordofthecockrings » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:10 pm

rrnate wrote:Wow. Let's hope your wife keeps making that popcorn so we don't have to hear again about how everything else sucks. Stay in the womb!

Actually, I was kind of hoping Harris would be standing right next to that popcorn machine when the fucker goes up, taking his vapid, pissy, whiny little bitch ass with it.

The cunt ...
lordofthecockrings
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:30 pm

That's so cruel. Surely you'd settle for blowing his hands off his wrists? Why does the guy have to die as long as he can't post?
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lordofthecockrings » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:07 pm

TAsunder wrote:That's so cruel. Surely you'd settle for blowing his hands off his wrists? Why does the guy have to die as long as he can't post?

You're right, that's overly dickish of me.

If he lost his hands he'd lose the ability not only to post but to play piano too.

Everybody wins.
lordofthecockrings
Forum God/Goddess

Postby OpEd » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:17 am

wow, you guys are harsh.
OpEd

Re: No Country For Old Men

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:16 am

Just got back from watching this and I have to say, I was pretty much blown away by it. Terrific from start to finish.

Reading this entire thread now (I stopped after my initial response) I'm baffled by some of the confusion about what did and did not occur as well as complaints that the ending leaves things hanging.

The story of the film has a very definite beginning, middle and end, it just doesn't all occur onscreen. Not knowing the ultimate fate of one of the major players (Anton) doesn't matter because that's not important to the story being told. That's another story entirely, just as the story of what Anton did before this film takes place is. We know what happened to: the men who set up and financed the drug deal, the men who delivered the drugs, the other two groups of men who went looking for the missing money and finally, the man who took the money as well as that man's wife and mother. We also get some insight into the sheriff investigating these crimes and coming to some realizations about his own life and its meaning (and I agree with those who say that this is what the movie "is about", much more so than the actual drug-deal plot.) So what more do you want?

Frankly, the notion that leaving a character's fate up in the air is anything new or strange is pretty goofy. Tell me, what happens to Bogart and Claude Rains at the end of Casablanca? Or what becomes of Willard after the credits roll in Apocalypse Now? Does Scarlet ever think of a way to win Rhett's love? What's Chewbacca's fate? Which one (or more) of the Marx Brothers, exactly, ends up getting married to Connie Bailey, the college widow, at the end of Horse Feathers? And the one that's stumped not just moviegoers and film critics, but the actual author of the source material himself: Who killed the chauffeur (assuming it was foul play) in The Big Sleep?

Seems to me that the answer to all these questions is the same: It doesn't matter.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby aaron » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:35 am

harrissimo wrote:Now that I have read the book I have decided that this movie sucks. In fact, I have decided the Coen Brothers suck. I will go even further and say existentialism sucks. And while I'm at it, I must confess Cormac McCarthy sucks too.

And I need not mention, Sundance Sucks. I hope the popcorn machine explodes and burns that entire ugly mall, including those ugly codos and that chain steakhouse, down to the ground cause Hilldale sucks as well.

My favorite theatre is watching a DVD at home. My wife makes great popcorn. I can put the movie on pause if I need to take a piss.

Jesus, what a statement. I (and many others I know) find Hilldale to be the only tolerable mall in this city. It contains nice stores (if a bit pricy), is fairly well laid out (not overwhelmingly big), has a nice variety and there are not a lot of screaming brats or thuggy teenagers around.

Strange that you would feel that way.
aaron
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:16 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote: We also get some insight into the sheriff investigating these crimes and coming to some realizations about his own life and its meaning (and I agree with those who say that this is what the movie "is about", much more so than the actual drug-deal plot.)

I just saw the movie and I agree with the above. I think it is laid out when the two sheriffs are talking after Moss is killed. They both seem overwhelmed.

Sundance is great. Expensive yes, but just treat it like a higher priced dinner, it's a splurge. For as often as I go to the movies, I will gladly pay a few extra bucks to avoid the crowds at eastgate or point.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby morriskatze » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:35 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote: We also get some insight into the sheriff investigating these crimes and coming to some realizations about his own life and its meaning (and I agree with those who say that this is what the movie "is about", much more so than the actual drug-deal plot.)

I was confused at first, too - it did seem like a letdown not to have the usual showdown or villain's comeuppance. And I wanted Llewellyn to get away w/the money. But if you think about the title, and the fact that the story opens and closes with the sheriff, then you realize who the story is really about and what its rather bleak theme is.

Epiphany: great movie.

Still sucks about the evil Anton getting away, tho.

I like Sundance, tho ironically I had a better experience at Juno last Friday at Eastgate (good crowd, laughed a lot at the right moments) than at Atonement at Sundance (tons of late people, even tho all those seats were already sold when I bought tix 15 minutes before the show; THREE cellphone rings - the same one rang TWICE; plus some klutz knocked over their glass bottle). I guess you never can tell where the highest concentration of dumbasses will be or how old they'll be.
morriskatze

Postby LoopBo » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:34 am

morriskatze wrote:
Prof. Wagstaff wrote: plus some klutz knocked over their glass bottle).

that was my 40 water.
LoopBo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bluethedog » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:10 pm

Finally rented it tonight.

Woody Harrelson was an awful choice for Carson Wells; should have been a man 15 - 20 years older.

Bardem was creepy but not Oscar worthy; not even close to what he did in The Sea Inside.

Very faithful to the book. I was a little surprised he didn't reprise the war story in the movie. No way this thing was gonna have a bow on it.
bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:30 pm

Just rented it too. I was irritated that Anton could have tracked Llewelyn to a single hotel room with a 70s-era homing device. How did Anton know that Llewelyn got off the highway in Del Rio?
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:14 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Just rented it too. I was irritated that Anton could have tracked Llewelyn to a single hotel room with a 70s-era homing device. How did Anton know that Llewelyn got off the highway in Del Rio?

The tracking device was way ridiculous. After several viewings, this is THE thing that bugs me the most.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Movies