MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, October 2, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 62.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

IN HONOR OF JOEL GERSMAN,

What books, zines or other pulp are you reading? What aren't you reading? What should everyone else read?

IN HONOR OF JOEL GERSMAN,

Postby bbopdaily » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:43 pm

IN HONOR OF JOEL GERSMAN, MAYBE WE SHOULD ALL POST OUR LIST OF FAVORITE READS FOR 2007. I'll start:

1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus by Charles C. Mann;
THE SEA CAPTAIN’S WIFE: A True Story of Love, Race, and War in the Nineteenth Century by Martha Hodes (life of Eunice Richardson Stone Connolly);
A WOMAN’S CIVIL WAR: A Diary with Reminiscences of the War, from March 1862 By Cornelia Peake McDonald;
THE ORDEAL OF ELIZABETH MARSH: A Woman in World History by Linda Colley;
TROUBLESOME YOUNG MEN: The Rebels Who Brought Churchill to Power and Helped Save England by Lynne Olson;
EINSTEIN: His Life and Universe
by Walter Isaacson (same author as the Benjamin Franklin biography that I enjoyed last year);
ANIMAL, VEGETABLE & MIRACLE:
A Year of Food Life by Barbara Kingsolver.

Plus, Books on order for 2008 reads: Alice and Agent Zigzag
bbopdaily

Postby blunt » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:45 pm

Maybe Bill Leuders was right.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

In honor of Joel Gersman

Postby archie » Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:25 pm

Was Joel not a player in Madison's radical, freakfest history and heritage? Should he not be remembered as such? Why not give him some posthumous props? I never ran out to get the books from his lists, but I appreciated his omnivorous interests. Here's hoping Joel is contentedly wandering down the stacks of eternity. And here's a few books I'm glad to have read during 07.

The Innocent, by Ian McEwan
A young Brit engineer in post-war Berlin working on an eavesdropping project. Things get compicated, then more complicated, then more. McEwan throws the doors open on some dark rooms. Not sure about the denouement, but everything up to it is intriguing, convincing or downright wrenching. My first McEwan novel. I'll try more. Published in 1990.

Booking Passage: We Irish and Americans, by Thomas Lynch
The jacket had a quote from Elmore Leonard, but this is no crime drama. A collection of memoir, observation and essay from a Michigan funeral home director who is drawn repeatedly back to his ancestral home. Lynch observes himself and others keenly. Good writing throughout rises here and there to moments of poetic pleasure. Published in 2005.

Tremor of Intent, by Anthony Burgess
Wacky, Brit-inflected send-up of the spy genre. Darn near surreal at times and with stunning sequences of literary virtuosity, including a memorably psychedelic lovemaking session. My first Burgess. I want more. Published in 1966.

The Road, by Cormac McCarthy
Compelling post-apocalyptic nightmare. Gut-wrenching. His best. Published in 2006.

Passage of Arms, by Eric Ambler
Anatomy of an arms deal in post-war SE Asia. Proceeds like a series of interconnected short stories. Characters and events ring true. Ambler is a master. My third of his novels. Published in 1959.

Musicophilia, by Oliver Sacks
Fascinating stories about how brains hear and produce music. Lively, accessible writing, despite the occasional medical verbiage. Plenty here for anyone to ponder and enjoy, especially musicians. Published in 2007.
archie

Postby blunt » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:13 pm

For people who claim to read you sure don't seem to.
I bave never besmirched Joel or his name!
Any contention that seems to be leaking out is about Bill Leuders claiming they would not do anntmore end-of-year book lists now that Joel had passed---because book lists were sort of dull---but then they DID print a gang book list compilation of a bunch of people that reulted in an ACTUAL dull and falsely denied end of year book list.
Sheesh!
If I didn't care about Joel and interseting electic book lists why the eff am I asking Leuders for the gig and perpetually adding books of interest to this Forum?!!!!!
:roll:
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:37 pm

blunt wrote:If I didn't care about Joel and interseting electic book lists why the eff am I asking Leuders for the gig and perpetually adding books of interest to this Forum?!!!!!

[shrug]Satanic plot?[/shrug]
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:59 pm

Marvell wrote:
blunt wrote:If I didn't care about Joel and interseting electic book lists why the eff am I asking Leuders for the gig and perpetually adding books of interest to this Forum?!!!!!

[shrug]Satanic plot?[/shrug]

I'm not gong to sit here while you badmouth Satan, Lucifer, the Light Bringer, the only truly intelligent and caring power in the known and unknown universe. He was only trying to help Eve and Adam. (Dorks---they should have it from the Tree of Life instead, to give them eternity to figure out the knowledge of good and evil (duality being a sadly lower emanation of the great potential Secret of the Essence of Everything ((SEE)))
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

In Honor of Joel Gersman

Postby archie » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:30 pm

Blunt,

Posts can be a response to the general topic OR to a previous post, yes? Mine was to the topic. I had no idea what you meant by "Maybe Bill Leuders was right" so I did what a lot of readers do when they get to a part they don't understand or don't find sufficiently troubling to stop and work out, I skipped it. No implications of besmirchment intended. By not quoting or referring to your comment, my intent seemed obvious to me, but that's in my world. A check of my Pocket Guide to Overworn and Misused Aphorisms reminds me that timing is everything and the road to hell is paved with good intentions (probably bad and indifferent ones, too).

My "to read" pile raced ahead of the "done and shelved" bunch in 07, leaving me feeling less than the reader I would like to be, but I'm trying to maintain the practice of reading BOOKS. More of that and less of staring at this screen can only be good. When I visit here I'm glad to find anyone's book recommendations, as they arise or as year-end lists, yours included. But I do like the idea of invoking the dead (Gersman, in this case) to get things going.
archie

Re: In Honor of Joel Gersman

Postby blunt » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:07 pm

archie wrote:Blunt,

Posts can be a response to the general topic OR to a previous post, yes? Mine was to the topic. I had no idea what you meant by "Maybe Bill Leuders was right" so I did what a lot of readers do when they get to a part they don't understand or don't find sufficiently troubling to stop and work out, I skipped it. No implications of besmirchment intended. By not quoting or referring to your comment, my intent seemed obvious to me, but that's in my world.

Oh. Okay then.
Your first couple sentences seemed like a response to me:
"Was Joel not a player in Madison's radical, freakfest history and heritage? Should he not be remembered as such? Why not give him some posthumous props?"

Of course!
That was my inital impetus from day one on this topic.
No troubles.
Love ya.
Mean it.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Books