MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, November 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 45.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Gaming in 2008

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Gaming in 2008

Postby Shipley » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:59 pm

2007 was a banner year, probably the best year for games since the format was invented. 3 new consoles, 2 portables, and the PC all getting some of the best games ever made. Bioshock, Mario, Halo, Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank, Mass Effect, Orange Box, Metroid, Zelda, Rock Band... an absolutely astounding number of must have games.

But whats on the horizon for 2008? Grand Theft Auto IV? Smash Bros? Alan Wake?
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:07 pm

Mmmm.

Alan Wake.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:26 pm

I'll tell you whats in store for '08. 2 words. Mario. Kart.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:27 pm

Its hard to get juiced about Wii Mario Kart. MKDS was perfect with the exception of a robust online service. Wii's service appears to be of the same non-user friendly system, but with the addition of some kind of goofy motion control to make the whole thing frustrating.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:31 pm

I hear your concerns but it will be rock solid. And I'm tired of the gripes about the Wii's online service. It is what it is. The Wii is not intended to be your media center. The games are simple and fun. The online content is just implemented in a less traditional way than that of the Xbox and PS3. That being said I am not that Hardcore of a gamer. I don't need online competition I'm happy whooping on the people in my house. This game will over more fun hours/dollar than anything else out there. Nintendo would NOT in a million years release anything called Mario Kart where that is not the case.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:34 pm

Shipley wrote:Its hard to get juiced about Wii Mario Kart. MKDS was perfect with the exception of a robust online service. Wii's service appears to be of the same non-user friendly system, but with the addition of some kind of goofy motion control to make the whole thing frustrating.

??

I look forward to continuing to be unable to locate a Wii to purchase (while still maintaining employment that asks me to be to work at 7:45am) in 2008.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:44 pm

my gripe with the Wii's online service is that it doesn't allow a persistant ID through all games. I'm not asking for a media center or even ranked play with matchmaking like some of the better 360/PS3 titles. All I want is to enter all my friends into the system ONCE and not have to add them in again every time I get a new game or they get new games. throw on the fact that you BOTH need to enter in a friend code instead of getting a message to approve a friend request and no voice chat, and the online service is worth exactly what you pay for it: nothing.

As for single room play, I'm still fine with that. You're talking to one of the few people who actually got 4 gamecubes together and networked for a 16 player Mario Kart Double Dash tournament (8 cars, 2 players on each car)
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:50 pm

Shipley wrote:As for single room play, I'm still fine with that. You're talking to one of the few people who actually got 4 gamecubes together and networked for a 16 player Mario Kart Double Dash tournament (8 cars, 2 players on each car)

What, no WarpPipe?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:51 pm

Gotcha. Maybe it's that I dont have any Wii friends. Never even explored it honestly I'm having way too much fun as is. I do like the Opera Browser and that gets some use as well as the virtual console (with a PC with pretty much every console game on it connected to the TV I don't put a lot of money in it) I also have a program that runs on my mac and basically creates a site on our network where I can access all of my iTunes and Movies and photos through the Wii's web browser. Thats been pretty cool and unexpected.
You will be able to get a Wii eventually. I've been trying for a month to get the Zapper. Most accessories even have been sold out.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:54 pm

fisticuffs wrote:You will be able to get a Wii eventually.

When Japan buys Hawaii's volcanic activity, builds a new island and starts up another Nintendo factory, sure.

(boy, that was a long way to go for a production capacity remark)
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:24 pm

If you got cash in hand, I can get you a wii in a few days. they're not easy to get, but I make regular trips to Target/Walmart/Toys R Us/ etc looking for new GI Joes and Transformers and run into Wiis at a rate that some may find somewhat alarming.

also, follow my advice here:
http://www.thedailypage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31781
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:17 pm

Shipley wrote:also, follow my advice here:
http://www.thedailypage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31781

Yeah, that would be the tack precluded by having a full-time job.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:14 am

well this game was already on my must-have list, but if it wasn't on your radar it is now:

Star Wars in Soul Calibur IV
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:20 pm

How about Star Wars: The Force Unleashed. Probably best on the Wii.

Fable 2

Fallout 3. Bethesda. Need we say more?

Dare I look forward to a movie IP-based game like Indiana Jones?

Let us not forget Spore!!!
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:11 pm

Spore will not be released this year, just my guess. Its going to be the Duke Nukem Forever of god games.

EGM's rumor column mentioned that to counter Rock Band Activision is preparing as many as 4 sequels to Guitar Hero this year including GH4, and games full of Aerosmith and U2.

I also forsee Rock Band only getting bigger this year with the weekly release list for downloads growing.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Technology & Video Games