MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, September 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 59.0° F  Partly Cloudy with Haze
Collapse Photo Bar

Gaming in 2008

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Postby jammybastard » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:18 pm

Any COD4 content for PC, either from Infinity Ward or mods/maps from the community.
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby uwstudent » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:48 pm

Shipley wrote:well this game was already on my must-have list, but if it wasn't on your radar it is now:

Star Wars in Soul Calibur IV

Wouldn't a lightsabre cut right through a metal sword? Just thinking people.
uwstudent
Forum Addict

Postby Shipley » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:39 pm

about 99% of the moves in Soul Calibur would be instantly fatal if emplyed in real life.

Be thankful they had solid gameplay and not reality in mind. Soul Calibur is one of most finely crafted and deep fighters out there, and infintely enjoyable unless you stop and go "you should be dead!" after every move.

See also: Ryu's fireball in Street Fighter II.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:24 pm

What do you think about these bad boys? http://www.peavey.com/controller/
The only problem I have with it is the price. $399? That oh about $50 worth of guitar parts there.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:13 pm

I don't know, I think GH controller offers enough of a visceral experience without weighing it down. I'm sure racing games would be more fun hooked into an actual car, but thats too pricey. I'd rather spend that dough on the river of downloadable content flowing into GH and Rock Band.

also on for 2008:
Though I am loathe to endorse another Zombie game or first person shooter, Left 4 Dead from Valve is coming this summer and it sounds pretty good. 4 player co-op and room for human controlled zombies in there too.

Anyone here get excited by Burnout games? Paradise ditched the crash mode, but Criterion has been good to me so much with the last 3 games they made (Burnout Takedown, Revenge, and Black the FPS) that I'm willing to give them the benefit.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby uwstudent » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:44 pm

Shipley wrote:
also on for 2008:
Though I am loathe to endorse another Zombie game or first person shooter, Left 4 Dead from Valve is coming this summer and it sounds pretty good. 4 player co-op and room for human controlled zombies in there too.

I'm looking forward to the new RE5 game. RE4 I'm still playing over and over again and has probably become one of my favorite games of all time.
uwstudent
Forum Addict

Postby Shipley » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:53 pm

Did you play Gears of War? I though they took the RE4 gameplay and turned it way up into something tactical and exciting instead of feeling like you're constantly fumbling with the gun.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby uwstudent » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:50 pm

Gears of War was awesome. And yes, that was one of the flaws of RE4. You had to keep fumbling with the carrying case to get a different weapon, although they did improve it considerable from the previous games. And for some odd reason you cannot reload your weapon and run at the same time, very annoying when a dude with a chainsaw is coming at you. Either way, it's probably one of the best gaming experiences I've had in the last few years.
uwstudent
Forum Addict

Postby Shipley » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:54 pm

shame Gears multiplayer was such a failure. I didn't stick with it very long at all. host + shotgun = unstoppable.

at least online co-op was a gas.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:17 pm

Burnout Paradise is so much better than the demo that went up last month.

Crash mode is now "showtime" and can be activated ANYWHERE at any time, even if you're in an event! and events are now races all over the city, and you're free to take any route you want and look for any of the literally hundreds of shortcuts in the game.

just driving around is a blast too. you wreck another car in traffic, it becomes selectable in your junkyard the next time you swap cars.

Its much more of an evolution than the 'more of the same' that Revenge was. This is going to be around for a long time. Burnout is one of the most underrated series on consoles today.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:55 am

Beer Moon wrote:How about Star Wars: The Force Unleashed. Probably best on the Wii.

I have serious doubts about the Wii's ability to do this:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/29964.html

I'll get the 360 version. this title wasn't even on my radar until this video, but the combination of systems promises to really bring a fun experience. Now if someone would make an original open world title with this tech...
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:00 pm

Iron Chef: America for the Wii.

True, it's a disappointment that the original ryori no tetsujin is not included, any Wii Iron Chef is better than no Wii Iron Chef.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:04 pm

a game based on a tv show on a nintendo system is like this big sign saying "don't buy me!"

the wii has such potential buy outside of Mario Galaxy, I haven't seen it executed well at all.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:09 pm

Get outta here! I'd give anything to be able to Wii-prepare tenderloin ice cream or chop up virtual snake eel!

And seriously, if you haven't played Wii Sports in a group of friends, then you're just not living.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:42 pm

Oh I've played Wii sports with friends. It is fun. But its hardly what the system is capable of.

Brawl is going to be a moderate improvement over Super Smash Brothers Melee, and will likely be the top selling game on the wii this year. It has no motion control.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Technology & Video Games