MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, August 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 67.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Printer Installation

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Printer Installation

Postby MadMind » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:20 pm

Lexmark Z845 Printer Driver
I don't suppose anyone can help me locate this? I can't find it anywhere.
I just purchaed the printer and made sure that I bought one that supported Win98.
Unfortunately, Lexmark no longer offers support for Win98 so the driver isn't available for download on their website.
And the installation disc that came with the printer will not install :x :x :x
Last edited by MadMind on Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:06 pm

I think this is it:

http://driverscollection.com/?H=Z845&By ... ndows%2098

Off your Google-game today, MM?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:35 pm

Dude, you rule.
I was Yahooin' all over the place and I just couldn't sniff it out.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:05 pm

It's my pleasure.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:04 pm

The download was a success! If it weren't for that, I'd be SOL.
Now I want to uninstall the driver software from my previous printer, problem is it won't let me. I had upgraded to Win98SE from Windows 95, and when I click on the setup.exe from the previous printer's software it tells me to use the Windows 95 control panel. I don't want to manually uninstall all the files!
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:04 pm

Did I stump you all? Anyway to uninstall the previous printers software with one double-click without reverting back to Win 95?
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby paulie » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:44 pm

maybe check the add/remove programs(in control panel)?

failing that tho, my advice is to leave it if its not causing problems. i suspect you'll pull your hair out before actually getting the driver out of there. win98 is horrible at removing old software completely, including device drivers.

i realize its probably a nice old computer, but you should really think about getting AT LEAST windows 2000 on it. anything that runs Win95/98 needs to die in a fire. yesterday. its helping no one.

FWIW, win xp will run just fine on 450MHz and 512MB of RAM. its not going to run very fast, but it will work and be more stable than the "operating system" on there now. hell, i've seen it run on a 1st generation Pentium @ 200MHz w/ 512MB of RAM. it was totally slow, but it worked.

or of course, run linux! :)
paulie
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:02 am

paulie wrote:maybe check the add/remove programs(in control panel)?

failing that tho, my advice is to leave it if its not causing problems. i suspect you'll pull your hair out before actually getting the driver out of there. win98 is horrible at removing old software completely, including device drivers.

i realize its probably a nice old computer, but you should really think about getting AT LEAST windows 2000 on it. anything that runs Win95/98 needs to die in a fire. yesterday. its helping no one.

Removing it from the add/remove in the control panel was something I'd checked, and for whatever reason, it's not in there.

I'd thought about upgrading to Win2000, but anything which has the possibility of making my PC run any slower is not an option.
Last edited by MadMind on Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:27 am

Please Please Please go buy a newer computer. It will save you a lot of trouble. It doesn't even have to be brand new. For like $200 you can be running a stable version of an operating system that is less than 10 years old that will be ten times as fast as what you run now and all these driver issues etc. will for the most part go away. Or you could spend more and buy a Mac and they would completely go away but that's another discussion.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Printer Issues

Postby MadMind75 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:26 pm

Ok, same printer as OP. It keeps on feeding in paper crooked. Can't figure out how to fix it. Have already tried putting in more/less paper. Doesn't seem to make a difference.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Re: Printer Installation

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:48 pm

Refer to the film "Office Space" for the correct procedure regarding your printer.

Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:07 pm

Simply feed the paper by hand, one sheet at a time as the printer prints. Put it in carefully so it goes in straight.

I know, this is ridiculous, but it's ridiculous that you're coping with such an antique computer anyhow so what's a little more time wasted?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Printer Issues

Postby rabble » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:31 pm

MadMind75 wrote:Ok, same printer as OP. It keeps on feeding in paper crooked. Can't figure out how to fix it. Have already tried putting in more/less paper. Doesn't seem to make a difference.

Speaking as an old repairer of typewriters, ditto machines and similar now-antiquated machinery, whatcha got there is very likely a slippery paper feed roller thingee. The roller on one side hasn't lost its traction quite as much as the roller on the other side.

The fix is finding it, removing the rollers, using a solvent similar to nail polish remover on it to remove the gunk, and then putting it all back exactly the way it was when you found it. Try it a few times, look it over for any obvious problems (which are never obvious) then write up the bill and go back to the shop to wait for the next worn out piece to go, at which point the owner of the machine will know for a fact that you sabotaged it the last time you touched it.

I don't fix antiquated office machinery any more, by the way.

I'm sorry. Was that out loud?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind75 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:11 pm

snoqueen wrote:Simply feed the paper by hand, one sheet at a time as the printer prints. Put it in carefully so it goes in straight.

This is actually difficult to do. It really grabs on and pulls the paper in crooked. If you hold on firm enough to where the paper won't feed in crooked, it'll stop printing and maybe cause a paper jam.
snoqueen wrote:I know, this is ridiculous, but it's ridiculous that you're coping with such an antique computer anyhow so what's a little more time wasted?

I scrapped the printer the PC came with. This printer is only about a year old and worked fine when I first got it. I can't figure out what's changed.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:24 pm

Small piece of paper jammed in the works, momentarily screwing up the friction that feeds the paper through, or physically blocking the paper until the other side's movement pulls it through.

Wite-Out or correction tape that peeled off a page and adhered to a wheel.

Or rabble's idea.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Technology & Video Games