MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, November 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 40.0° F  Light Drizzle
Collapse Photo Bar

Weather terrorists

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:56 am

Global warming forced the closing of I-35 south of the TC and wind chill temp of -40 in the TC last night.

It was chilly.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:06 am

I saw a guy biking on Sherman Ave this morning...

...in shorts. No shit.
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Wet_Pavement » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:12 am

Ned Flanders wrote:Global warming forced the closing of I-35 south of the TC and wind chill temp of -40 in the TC last night.

It was chilly.

Hey, Ned, didn't notice the high of 40 degrees before that in January? Like that January where we had highs of 47 or so for a few weeks running?
Wet_Pavement
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:22 am

Ned goes for the cliched "hyuck! Its still cold!" arguement, forgetting that global climate change creates weather extremes, like say 55 inches of snow in 2 months in an area that get usually only 45 a year.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:09 pm

Global warming allowed those G-Men to throttle my Pack!

Damn you Mother Nature. Damn you to hell!
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:57 pm

You live in Minnesota. Fuck off already.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:00 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:You live in Minnesota. Fuck off already.

Who peed in your Cheerios today hon?
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Darthcrank » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:03 pm

Shipley wrote:Ned goes for the cliched "hyuck! Its still cold!" arguement, forgetting that global climate change creates weather extremes, like say 55 inches of snow in 2 months in an area that get usually only 45 a year.

Yeah, the last time that happened the hype was all about the coming ice age. :roll:
Darthcrank
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rosemary » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:06 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:You live in Minnesota. Fuck off already.

Who peed in your Cheerios today hon?

Or, as Garrison Keillor put it (in Wobegon Boy), did the dog pee on your cinnamon toast?
Rosemary
Forum Addict

Postby eriedasch » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:15 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Global warming forced the closing of I-35 south of the TC and wind chill temp of -40 in the TC last night.

Global warming is accepted by 95% (or more?) of the scientific community as fact. Yet it is understandable that simpletons like Ned can easily be fooled when it gets cold out. Hey it's cold out - try and explain to a 5 year old about global warming today and you'll likely have the same results.

It is very difficult for that small mindset to step back and look at the big picture only to be obsessed with the here and now.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:48 pm

I think if you looked at the "big picture" you'd see wild temperature swings thoughout history on both a micro and macro basis. But simple, truthful explainations like that won't get big gov't grants or the ability to manipulate society to avert a "crisis".
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby beenie » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:57 pm

snoqueen wrote:MATC closed at 2:30, and it took me 50 minutes to drive 4 miles home. I hate to think how long people took to get 30 or 40 miles home.

I used to work on Junction Road, which was unfortunately when I still lived in Beaver Dam. 55 miles each way, and a job where leaving early for any reason was considered an unexcused absence and constituted a write-up - I distinctly remember one snowstorm where had I left work two hours early, I probably could have made it home in the normal hour, maybe a little more, rather than the almost 3 hours it took that night.

El Chifa wrote:Any power outages in Madison? Seems likely with the ice and frigid temperatures.

We didn't have a power outage where I live, but the lights blinked twice in rapid succession twice in a 30-minute period. Took out my modem both times, but nothing a reboot didn't immediately fix.
beenie
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:01 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:I think if you looked at the "big picture" you'd see wild temperature swings thoughout history on both a micro and macro basis. But simple, truthful explainations like that won't get big gov't grants or the ability to manipulate society to avert a "crisis".

Are you that cynical about other issues that have a consensus within the scientific community? Maybe you are like the tobacco execs that, under oath, swore that nicotine is not addictive.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:03 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:I think if you looked at the "big picture" you'd see wild temperature swings thoughout history on both a micro and macro basis. But simple, truthful explainations like that won't get big gov't grants or the ability to manipulate society to avert a "crisis".

holy SHIT. Does anyone else know about this? Conspiracy theory is now conspiracy fact!
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:46 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Global warming allowed those G-Men to throttle my Pack!

Damn you Mother Nature. Damn you to hell!

Nope it was because Brett is a southern boy and hasn't quite adapted to the north yet. Give him a few more years.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Catch All