MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, September 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 68.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Fighting

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Fighting

Postby Shipley » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:22 pm

any Street Fighters here? Anyone play Soul Calibur? Tekken? Virtua Fighter? SMASH BROTHERS?

what do you play? who's your standby character? Any good?

Once upon a time I was ranked as one of the best Soul Calibur II players in the state, using Cassandra as my primary and Ivy, Mitsirugi, and Sophitia as backups.

Smash Brothers and Street Fighter I'm less good at, but can play as virtually anyone from any game in the series and have fun win or lose.

with some new fighting games on the horizon, I'm eager to find fresh local competition. Faceless, laggy internet fights don't satisfy like 1 on 1 in person combat. doesn't matter if you're good, we play for fun. Soul Calibur IV start this summer, we may start Smash Brothers in late March. This would be semi regular get togethers at a host's place with fights going well into night so you can drop in any time. quarter-up, learn from those who beat you, teach the amatuers new tricks.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:55 pm

I used to be a damned good Virtual Fighter. I and II on the Saturn I think mostly. We could have matches last 10 minutes as we got very good at the blocking scheme. Haven't played a fighter in a long long time. Never played Smash Bros. Would I like it?
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:15 pm

The fighting genre became saturated and died a slow and painful death. When I go back and play some of those one-on-one fighting games from the nineties I just have to cringe at how poorly made, shallow & unoriginal the majority of them were. Companies merely slapped on new characters and backgrounds, or a different theme, and mass produced those suckers. Don't you just love how many (virtually identical) iterations of Street Fighter (II) there were?

The fighting genre is dead because no one is bringing anything truly new and innovative to the table.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:22 pm

As long as they take their time porting it over I think Soul Calibur could be great on the Wii. Albeit not as pretty as it will be on the other systems.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby uwstudent » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:47 pm

Soul Calibur II
SC3 looked pretty but they seriously messed with the move list and now the character balance is way off. Here's hoping 4 is a return to form.
Some Virtual Fighter and I HATE Mortal Kombat.
I liked it in Soul Blade (the first SC game) where they could lose their weapons and had to fight with their hands/feet. Pretty decent. They also had some more innovative arenas to fight in. Wasn't there one arena where it was constantly rocking back and forth? Now they're only putting in this swordquest type of adventure stuff/whatever.
uwstudent
Forum Addict

Postby Shipley » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:11 pm

fisticuffs wrote:Haven't played a fighter in a long long time. Never played Smash Bros. Would I like it?

well, its kind of a strange fighter. I love it, but its pure nintendo fan service. each character has a basic attack button, a special attack button, grab, and a jump. its 4 player and set on stages that range from cramped to vast. no one gets beat by a life bar going down, you just have to get them off the stage. last man standing wins.
oh, and items randomly appear like koopa shells, light sabers, bombs, guns, and pokeballs. grabbing these and using them tips a match in your favor.
best thing about it is its FAST. can be very methodical and deep, but it rewards players who react quickly to a constantly changing environment.

SC3 was such a disappointment I never even bought it. 4 they have a chance to make great again. I understand the Wii "Legends" game is a fans-only button masher and waggle fest. Probably worth a rent, but not $50.

MadMind wrote: Don't you just love how many (virtually identical) iterations of Street Fighter (II) there were?

maybe so, but they perfected the game with Super SF2, and again with Alpha 2 Gold, and again with Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike. the evolutions made the game better each time, and made it perfect for tournament play.
And if you're thinking of SNK fighters as the cash-in clones, think again because the systems were so radically different they each have their hardcore fans.

Fighting isn't dead, its just in the care of the fans now.

Street Fighter IV is said to be going back for the casual gamer who doesn't want to learn a move list a mile long, which is fine by me since it means I can probably learn all the characters again instead of perfecting 1 or 2 like I do with any other fighter.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby forwardourmotto » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:49 am

I can't believe no one has mentioned the pinnacle of the genre:

Shaq Fu!
forwardourmotto
Forum Addict

Postby aaronetc » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:10 am

As an undergrad, I was a master of Mortal Kombat II, and pretty good with MK3, Killer Instinct and Darkstalkers. I recently got the Midway arcade collection for Gamecube that has MKII on it, and now it seems that I suck. I usually played Baraka or Kitana, but put enough quarters into it to spend a lot of time with almost all the characters.
aaronetc
Forum Addict

Postby Shipley » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:26 pm

if you've got a ps2 or xbox, try out MK: Shaolin Monks. Its a brawler with Lui Kang and Kung Lao set in the MK1/2 timeline thats actually amazing fun. its got enough move upgrading and combat variety to keep it from being a strict button masher. I feel like the MK team is much more able to make a brawler than a fighter (Deception and Armageddon were ok, but nothing new from the Deadly Alliance formula)

I confirmed last night with some of my old Soul Caliber II buddies that we are in fact getting the band back together for IV
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby uwstudent » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:54 pm

Tekken 5 was for hardcore players only. Get the feeling that they loved it. But if you didn't know all the moves and combos you ended up button mashing. Hopefully T6 is a return to form.
uwstudent
Forum Addict

Postby Shipley » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:11 am

thats a problem with fighters in general. Street Fighter IV is also going to try getting casual players back in the mix by tossing out all the counters and parry moves and just giving you the ability to recover quicker and throw the next move.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:55 pm

I've been playing Capcom Classics Collection Vol.2 on the PS2 this past week and I have something to say...
I HATE the original Street Fighter. I never liked the game, not even when I first encountered it in arcades in the late eighties, with it's large screen/cabinet and colorful graphics and higher price per-play.
I have a difficult time comprehending how it spawned such an incredibly successful sequel, because it must mean that there were those who took enough interest and devoted enough money into the first installment making it enough of a success for Capcom to look towards a sequel.
Last edited by MadMind on Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:12 pm

I gotta say I bought Smash Bros. and I'm not that into it. I like having all my favorite characters but the game doesn't do much for me. So many modes so many characters so much to unlock but why is it such a pain in the ass to just jump. Also are there special moves out there that I don't know. How do I get those big fantastic screen covering attacks?
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:39 pm

Firstly, if you aren't playing with a Gamecube or Classic controller, it may be why you're having trouble. jumping using the Y or X buttons is a lot more responsive, and you can double jump and most characters have an air attack with up+B that will make them move up as well. Not sure what your jump options are with Wii Remote, since I've avoided playing with it.

the full screen special attacks are called "Final Smash" and you'll get those when you break a Smash Ball that flies around the screen from time to time. when you do that the screen will dim slightly and you'll glow. just tap B without pressing a direction (you don't need to stop moving cold, just dont be pressing down to duck or pressing left to run)

Smash is a really atypical game, and I think it works best thinking of it as a 2D platformer with fighting.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:27 am

http://powet.tv/2008/04/18/mortal-kombat-vs-dc-is-real/

Batman vs Sub-Zero. This has the potential to be the worst MK game and the best DC game at the same time.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Technology & Video Games