MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, September 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 73.0° F  Mostly Cloudy and Breezy
Collapse Photo Bar

Weather terrorists

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Postby rrnate » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:13 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:...blah blah blah I don't understand global warming so I think it's fake...blah blah blah check out this funny name I read somewhere....blah blah blah...

Amazing. Ned's consistency defies the odds!
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sideshow Bob » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:37 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Global warming forced the closing of I-35 south of the TC and wind chill temp of -40 in the TC last night.

It was chilly.

That was a lot of mother-fucking tornados that butt-raped the south last night, wasn't it. Yup, a lot of fucking tornados for FEBRUARY FIFTH!
Sideshow Bob
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dstol62 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:11 pm

Some of you may remember the winter of 78-79, which was the last time there was anything close to what we have now. Also, in late December of '83 in Madison, the wind chill sunk to a balmy minus 80. Then there was that "El Nino" period in the 90's when the temperature was above normal.

My point is that occasional troughs of cold, ice and snow is nature's way of thinning the herd. It also sends some of the whiners to Florida.
dstol62
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Wet_Pavement » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:40 am

Ned Flanders wrote:I think if you looked at the "big picture" you'd see wild temperature swings thoughout history on both a micro and macro basis. But simple, truthful explainations like that won't get big gov't grants or the ability to manipulate society to avert a "crisis".

What's a "simple, truthful explanation" is how carbon dioxide works. It's very simple. It has basic physical properties. It's simple physics. (And that is after all what climatology and the study of weather comes down to: the physics.)

Carbon dioxide has the property of allowing energy from the higher end of the energy spectrum, i.e. light, to pass through it easily. Yet it prevents energy from the lower end of the energy spectrum, i.e. radiated heat, from passing through it. It allows the sun's energy as light to pass through. But then when the earth tries to radiate that energy as heat, the CO2 prevents that from happening.

It has nothing to do with "big government grants," although this is yet another ad hominem attack the right is trying to perpetuate to counter the chorus of people who know the science behind global warming.
Wet_Pavement
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:48 am

Everytime I see that term Weather Terrorists, I think of the movie, The Avengers and Sean Connery!
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Weather terrorists

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:24 am

It's been awhile since we had a good apocalyptic weather prediction.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/weather/hyb ... 963f4.html

This part is interesting:

It is likely to hit during a full moon when tides are near their highest, increasing coastal flooding potential, NOAA forecasts warn. And with some trees still leafy and the potential for snow, power outages could last to Election Day, some meteorologists fear.

Bring in the pencils and paper ballots.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:52 am

Best reason yet to have early voting.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:08 pm

I think that my crew of hearty lobstermen and I will be able to go out for one more haul 'afore the nor'easter hits.
Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Catch All