MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, August 2, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 56.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Speakeasy in Janesville

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Speakeasy in Janesville

Postby tsquare » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:52 am

My wife and I went to the Speakeasy restaurant on our way through Janesville last night. We hadn't heard anything good or bad about the place, but have wanted to try it for a while.

It was a very pleasant surprise. Food, atmosphere, wait staff were all great. Prices were reasonable. Really can't say enough good things about it. We both had the fish fry and were in agreement that it was the best we've had since moving to the area.

Highly recommend.
tsquare

Postby coldspot » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:32 am

Is this the same owner of the Speakeasy in Stoughton? Is the Speakeasy still open in Stoughton?
coldspot
Forum Addict

Re: Speakeasy in Janesville

Postby evansvillehousewife » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:11 pm

[quote="tsquare"]
. We both had the fish fry and were in agreement that it was the best we've had since moving to the area.
[quote]

You're in Rock too, huh?
My condolences.
evansvillehousewife
Forum God/Goddess

Postby chainsawcurtis » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:59 pm

The two places are not related. The Janesville Speakeasy is like a fern and chrome bar without the fern but with upscale food. Both are nice joints. I'm gigging at the J'burg Speakeasy Mar 29. [/hype]
chainsawcurtis
Forum Addict

Postby gargantua » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:58 pm

i am just so sorry that you happen to be in Janesville at all.

At least it isn't Rockford!

Good lord.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby chainsawcurtis » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:07 am

[quote]Readers, friends, if you turn these pages
Put your prejudice aside,
For, really, there's nothing here that's outrageous,
Nothing sick, or bad â€â€
chainsawcurtis
Forum Addict

Postby evansvillehousewife » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:50 pm

OH.MY.GOD.

Bumping this up because we finally went to the Speakeasy in Janesville.

It was wonderful. The details in the building alone warranted the trip, and the food was delicious.

Appetizer: basil/tomato bruschetta.... good crispy bread rounds, good balsamic reduction, fresh grated parmesan, not enough basil, but still very good.

husband: Tenderloin with brew city fries (you could taste the fresh potato and beer batter- skin on- PERFECTLY cooked and presented. Tenderloin was 6 ozs, cooked to perfection and wonderful flavor. Sadly, a bit tough- would have been fine for a New York Strip but not for a filet.

Me: Mushroom chicken. Roast boneless dredged breast with a portabella cap in a marsala sauce. Had JUST a touch of fried onions- not battered to death, but still crispy and delicious- and LIGHT. I don;t know how they did it- just a little mound, not drowning the dish like so many other WI places. Truly a litle highlight. Seasonal vegetables- and yes, seasonable. The exact same blend in my CSA box this week- summer squash, zuchinni, onions, red bell peppers. Cooked excellently. The freshness radiated off the mushroom and the veggies.

But the atmosphere is amazing. law books and medical texts lay around. Antique furniture for lounging on with your dessert. The bartenders were fab- saw them with fresh mint sprigs- nothing limp in the place-dusting bottles that looked clean- making martinis that put Crave to shame. The bar is the centerpiece, with jazz/modern music at just the right volume. And the cutest host dressed to the nines from the Prohibition days.

Service was impeccable save for a harried (but very presentable and polite) waitress. Truly a class of service and dress I like to see.

I can't wait to go back and try dessert.

I must have spent 15 minutes just looking around at the antique doors, microscopes, hunt scene paintings, and to die for upholstery and window trappings. Amazing job, that place.

HIGHLY recommend.
evansvillehousewife
Forum God/Goddess

Postby babelfish » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:29 pm

Just wanted to bump this place back up to the top of the forum. I ate here a week ago and all 5 of us had great meals...even the mac and cheese that my 3 yr old ate was awesome! If you ever find yourself in Janesville, please know there is at least one good restaurant....Speakeasy!
babelfish

Postby Pogoagogo » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:25 pm

Glad to see this. My parents live in Janesville and as such, I'm required to travel there twice a week because my mother watches our toddler son. We always joke about that city as being so devoid of any sort of culture or restaurant scene. I mean, if you dig national chains and very typical deep-fried bar food, it is a total joy. That said, I'm interested in checking out The Speakeasy now.
Pogoagogo
Forum Addict

Postby Scotty » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:39 pm

Scotty
Forum Addict

Postby AaronTheSnob » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:16 am

I've only been to Janesville once and really can't imagine any reason to ever go there again. Talk about a place with no "there there".
AaronTheSnob
Forum God/Goddess

¡Me gustó!

Postby Marvell » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:37 pm

A gal I was dating still has her Taco Bell uniform from her high school years in Janesville.

Normally uniforms are not one of my kinks, but there was just something about earth-toned polyester...

I've said enough.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Pogoagogo » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:27 pm

Thanks Marvell. Thanks a lot.
Pogoagogo
Forum Addict

Postby Average Joe » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:36 pm

AaronTheSnob wrote:I've only been to Janesville once and really can't imagine any reason to ever go there again. Talk about a place with no "there there".

It's obvious from the pattern of your posts that your mother failed to tell you that if you don't have anything good to say don't say anything at all. Either that or you're merely a petulant bitch that can't find any sort of satisfaction in anything. Based on your forum handle, I'm guessing you fall into the later category which also puts you into the insufferable asshole category.
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:40 pm

Either that or you're merely a petulant bitch that can't find any sort of satisfaction in anything.

Hey let's not forget Snob's glowing review of the latest Barbara Streisand album.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews