MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 36.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Gossip Girl

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?

Gossip Girl

Postby aaron » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:18 am

Ok, I just have to ask: Anyone on here watch this show?

I haven't, but it seems every time I turn around I am seeing something about it (EW Magazine, NYT, L.A. Times, NY Magazine, you name it.)

I see that the first season is coming out soon on DVD. Is it worth a Netflix rent?
aaron
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DedeTate » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:46 am

The show itself is actually kinda dull - teens doing a lot of dramatic talking, but not much actually happens. I think the reason that you read about it a lot is that it's one of the series that demonstrates how the traditional TV audience is changing/disappearing. The show isn't popular in standard Nielsen ratings (it's at the bottom) but it's among the top iTunes downloads, and it's the number one new broadcast show among teen viewers. You should be able to watch an episode on the CW's website, and after one, you'll be able to tell whether you're interested or not (all of the episodes are basically the same).
Also, where did you see that it's coming out on DVD? The first season isn't over yet, so I would think it would be hard to release.
DedeTate
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:57 am

DedeTate wrote:Also, where did you see that it's coming out on DVD?

It's not. There's a new episode coming 4/21 (as the season resumes post-strike), and Netflix has it available to "Save" in anticipation of future release. Maybe the 4/21 air date is what aaron saw.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby aaron » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:01 am

TheBookPolice wrote:
DedeTate wrote:Also, where did you see that it's coming out on DVD?

It's not. There's a new episode coming 4/21 (as the season resumes post-strike), and Netflix has it available to "Save" in anticipation of future release. Maybe the 4/21 air date is what aaron saw.

You are correct. Thanks, won't bother for now.
aaron
Forum God/Goddess

Return to TV