MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, December 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 19.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Why the narration on PBS?

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?

Why the narration on PBS?

Postby Violet_Skye » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:12 pm

OK, lately on PBS there has been a woman's voice explaining everything going on on the screen, as though speaking to a blind person. What's the deal with that, anyone know? More importantly, anyone know how to make it stop? It was happening during Nature the other night, and when I flipped past Mr. Rogers for a moment today, it was also going on there, a woman's voice explaining every move made by everyone onscreen.
Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:35 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Descriptive_Video_Service

It is in fact for the blind, and it comes through the TV station's Secondary Audio Program (SAP) channel.

Your TV probably was inadvertently switched to the SAP audio track, and the PBS station is probably the only one that's actually using it, so you don't notice when you're tuned to other stations.

Around here, that sort of thing is usually brought about by the cat stepping on the remote.

How to switch it back to the regular audio track depends on your TV, of course. Good luck.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Why the narration on PBS?

Postby Sideshow Bob » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:50 pm

GET OUT OF THE HOUSE!!!
Sideshow Bob
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:55 pm

Hmmm, interesting. I searched all the functions accessible on the remote and couldn't find anything about SAP, just text captioning. I guess I'll have to bug my son to figure it out tomorrow.
Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:30 am

Ha! The first time that happened to us, it was during a documentary about some bridge in Alabama. We spent a good few minutes marveling at how unbelievably inane the voiceover was for the otherwise enjoyable program ("A car approaches the bridge, as bystanders look on...") before we finally realized it must be some sort of accessibility feature. It took us forever to figure out how to turn it off (can't remember how we did).

After that it popped up from time to time on that TV. Never occurred to me to blame the cats, but that makes perfect sense.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:51 am

I wasn't going to admit it, but that's what we were doing too, laughing at the inanity of it...it's kind of surreal, really.
Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DaneCoLurker » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:39 am

Try the audio settings under the menu button (just a thought :wink: :wink:
DaneCoLurker

Postby Violet_Skye » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:21 pm

DaneCoLurker wrote:Try the audio settings under the menu button (just a thought :wink: :wink:

Went thru all the menus...the only things under audio are bass, treble, balance, and speakers.

Under closed caption options, it only lists text options. Everything is turned off, but still she talks!

Probably have to look it up online by TV serial number and such...it's so annoying!

Edit: found the manual online, there is an MTS button on the remote which controls SAP...so, had I had a cat, it could easily have stepped on it and caused the problem...now we all know.
Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Return to TV