MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, December 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 20.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Grand Theft Auto IV

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Postby Shipley » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:14 pm

Well I'll just come out and say that I wouldn't WANT nudity in the game. I don't feel like pixel boobs and snatch or dong would add anything to the narrative.

Then again, GTA is the most crass and juvenile game series of the last generation, so thats the exact kind of upgrade the legions of teenage fans are looking for.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:13 pm

Shipley wrote:Well I'll just come out and say that I wouldn't WANT nudity in the game. I don't feel like pixel boobs and snatch or dong would add anything to the narrative.

C'mon now, man up to the plate!
Do strip clubs and prostitutes add to the narrative? Not really. Like I said before, they've already infused these elements into the GTA franchise, and all I expect is the same level of detail, realism, and care that they've put into other aspects of the game.

All this violence in gaming these days, what we really need is some smut!
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:44 pm

As I said, I don't think it adds anything to the game. The sandbox gameplay lends itself to all sorts of options, but sex and nudity... well this is one case where I'd side with the constant Guitar Hero detractors: Why play a silly game when you can do the real thing?
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:58 pm

Because cartoon STDs from cartoon hookers are a lot less annoying than real life STDs from real life hookers, obviously!
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:28 am

TAsunder wrote:Because cartoon STDs from cartoon hookers are a lot less annoying than real life STDs from real life hookers, obviously!

No, they're really not. Have you ever had to piss pixelated razorblades?
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:57 am

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:07 am

I really, honestly, do not think so.

And even if it does, its not the same cash cow Halo 3 was. Theres no mountain of merchandise, map packs, and mt dew flavors above the $300M mark Halo did.

Maybe its just because I think mainstream media coverage of GTA is so negative I don't think it can catch the same casual players Halo did.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:30 pm

Shipley wrote:Well I'll just come out and say that I wouldn't WANT nudity in the game.

T&A in my GTA! T&A in my GTA!
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:57 pm

So how many of you plan on picking up GTA IV this week who do not have a pre-sell? Will it be relatively easy to find on store shelves this week or will it disappear quickly?
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:06 pm

pre-sells are pure BS. this game will be easy to find. Just go to a store that sells video games. Best Buy will have a billion copies.

I'm going to rent it first. Never got far in past GTA games and not sure I want to invest in a game that might not be for me.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:26 am

In keeping with my past GTA purchasing habits, I will not be buying this game at all.

I "borrowed" a copy of Vice City from one of the notorious online sites which allow you to "preview" games so you can decide if you like them or not. I put in about 2 hours and gave up.

Is it just me or do the graphics of this game look like utter garbage compared to many recent titles?

If you guys are jonesing for some sex and gore, Age of Conan looks ridiculously good and if it's not AO, it's barely going to be M. I do not recommend searching for screenshots from work.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:16 pm

The Ladies of Vice City
Nice! The only thing I was thinking while watching this is why can't you pick up two hookers for a three-way?
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Tue May 06, 2008 1:19 pm

Last edited by MadMind on Mon May 19, 2008 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Wed May 07, 2008 1:33 pm

Shipley wrote:I really, honestly, do not think so.

And even if it does, its not the same cash cow Halo 3 was. Theres no mountain of merchandise, map packs, and mt dew flavors above the $300M mark Halo did.

Maybe its just because I think mainstream media coverage of GTA is so negative I don't think it can catch the same casual players Halo did.

You, my friend, were wrong.
Another thing to consider is that GTAIV is a multi-platform title, whereas Halo 3 was 360 exclusive.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Wed May 07, 2008 5:58 pm

Halo 3 made more money for Microsoft than GTAIV did.

Take Two's stock soared to.... just 30 cents above the EA buyout! some win.

Like I said, Halo 3's $300 mil was for the game alone. the licensing for Halo continues to be a huge cash cow. GTA IV will have some content in a few months, but no action figures, MLG licensing, ESPN rebroadcasts, MT Dew and Burger King revenue, etc.

Halo 3 was and continues to be a bigger money maker. GTA lives and dies on whats in the box. Oh wait, theres a soundtrack too.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Technology & Video Games