MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Sunday, September 14, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 57.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Ruth's Chris

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:43 pm

I like the Supper Club vibe. Are they typically steak, or is it more a style/decor? "Old Fashioned" styles itself after supper clubs, but it seems less "old man" than Tornado in style. Is Nick's a supper club? Tried that on Monday before the NP show. Seemed to have the decor, but not sure on the menu. Learning.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:00 pm

If you can't stomach $9 for a drink, avoid The Icon.

Didn't know fleming's had a Prime Rib night; thanks for the tip, boston_jeff. Went to Lawry's in L.A. not too long ago and have been craving prime rib since then.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mikeyk » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:10 pm

boston_jeff wrote:I like the Supper Club vibe. Are they typically steak, or is it more a style/decor? "Old Fashioned" styles itself after supper clubs, but it seems less "old man" than Tornado in style. Is Nick's a supper club? Tried that on Monday before the NP show. Seemed to have the decor, but not sure on the menu. Learning.

I think that if one were to create the definitive supper club, it would be both. Steaks and style/decor. Very 'old man'.

I'd open up a place that just reeked of 1968. Wall sconces, maybe a suit of armor in the lobby, shit like that. Overstuffed leather booths and bar padding in the bar. Lots of dark wood. Red velvety wallpaper. Lots of that plastic translucent yellowish 'glass' in room dividers. Actually, just go to Harrimans in Sun Prairie and stick your head in and have a look, it's pretty much like walking into a time capsule.

I'd put in one of those big console-stereo type vinyl jukeboxes and load it with crooner and lounge music.

Combine that with great steaks, awesome salads (with TRUE french roquefort as a dressing option) and expertly prepared drinks and I'd be there in a heartbeat (while I still *had* a heartbeat, which I wouldn't if I ate there often). Oh, and don't forget the 'invisible service'. :D
mikeyk

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:13 pm

The food at Icon was OK but I'd rather get me some real tapas or a steak. $9 flavored martinis are pretty standard, order a vodka on the rocks--they're cheaper (even with top shelf vodka) and you get more booze! Those flavored martinis are a rip unless the mixer is melding real fruit and herbs or something alchemical like that.

Call Fleming's about what night the prime rib thing is, we went on a Sunday, but I saw something about W and Sat too.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:26 pm

$9 is pretty standard. The Icon was $11-12 for martinis when I last went. Now they are advertising lunch and $15 bottles of wine, though. Perhaps they have changed their target demographic.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dudemeister » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:29 pm

I have not yet found a chain steakhouse that didn't totally SUCK ASS.

Seriously, I've gotten steak cooked wrong just about every time at a chain. I mean the whole point is to get a properly done steak; I can under/overcook my own steak at home.

Tornado Club, that's the ticket.
dudemeister
Forum Addict

Postby Ducatista » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:23 pm

mikeyk wrote:If anyone is ever traveling Hwy 51 North, passing the Tomahawk area, it is absolutely worth your while to take a short detour to the Silver Birch Supper Club on County U.

Thanks for that! I use to have a sister with a cabin on Two Sisters, now I have two sisters with cabins on Two Sisters. So I reckon I'll be doing the 51 shuffle a bit this summer.
Last edited by Ducatista on Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Burroughs » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:28 pm

dudemeister wrote:
Tornado Club, that's the ticket.

And they have my favorite late night menu in the city.
Burroughs

Postby Ducatista » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:37 pm

Burroughs wrote:And they have my favorite late night menu in the city.

Hey, didn't you bring up the smoking ban on another thread today? I'll bring it up here to say I was SO happy once the ban went into effect and I could have one of Tornado's awesome burgers at the bar without a big ol' side of smoke.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby coldspot » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:38 pm

It drives me C-R-A-Z-Y that no one ever mentions the Esquire Club on Sherman Avenue when the term Supper Club comes up!!! It reminds me of the numerous Southeastern Wisconsin Supper Clubs I went to with my grandparents in the 70's.

Good food at a great value, a Cod Fish Fry to die for, multiple menus based on what time and day of the week you go (Friday and Saturday menus are different and there is a separate lunch menu that they just updated with all kinds of fresh salads, sandwiches and light entrees).

The crowd is a delightful mixture of old-timers, blue-collar people from Oscar Mayers, young couples, millionaires, white collar professionals, I could go on... The decor is not fancy by any means but there are different dining rooms, all of which have new furniture, carpet and a Supper Club feel.

I get ripped to shreds every time I make the suggestion, but damn it if they haven't been there for over 60 years!!! I haven't been to the Old Fashioned or any of the other tribute joints (except for Tornado, which was great, granted) out of principle. I do respect the opinions of those who have enjoyed their experiences at these places, however I am absolutely mystified that no one ever brings up the Esquire Club and prefers a poser to the real deal!

Old Fashioneds, cordials, great high-end liquors, unbelievable wine list (not all the good stuff is on the list, it pays to ask if you are looking for something extra special as you'll probably get a great deal on it), they have it all.

Oh, and read this carefully: BEST DAMNED CORNED BEEF IN TOWN!!!!!!!!!! DARE YOU TO SAY DIFFERENT!!! DARE YOU!!!

Okay. I am going back to my dusty corner now. So there.
coldspot
Forum Addict

Postby blunt » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:08 pm

Can someone please explain why it isn't called Ruth Chris' Steak?
Who is Ruth and what's a Chris Steak?
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Scotty » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:29 pm

Per Wikipedia............

The chain was founded by the late Ruth Fertel, a single mother of two, in 1965, after she bought the existing Chris Steak House in New Orleans. In buying the restaurant, Fertel had to agree that the restaurant keep the "Chris" name for a specified period of time. After the original location sustained a kitchen fire, she relocated the restaurant about one-half mile (0.9 km) to the west on Broad Street and renamed the rebuilt establishment "Ruth's Chris." Under the purchase agreement, the name "Chris Steak House" could not be used at any other location, and she did not want to lose customers already familiar with the Chris name.[5] Fertel started to franchise the restaurant in the 1970s to locations throughout the United States and throughout the world
Scotty
Forum Addict

Postby Ms. Housewife » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:26 am

I've eaten at Ruth's Chris restaurants a couple of times in other states, and I've found them to be mediocre at best... and when I'm paying upwards of $30 for a cut of meat, yes, I expect it to be better than what I can make at home.

That said, I was pleasantly surprised by Fleming's. Another chain, true enough, but I think they're much better than RC's.

Another thing that I find strange about the Middleton Ruth's Chris is that it's right in the middle of restaurant chain central - I'm surprised a "fine dining" establishment would want to be parked so close to a Quaker Steak and Lube and an Applebee's.

When we want to make really good steaks at home, we go to Whole Foods and buy the aged filet mignon or aged rib eyes. They're pricey, but I think they're better than many of the steaks we've had in restaurants, including the Ruth's Chris Steakhouses to which we've been.
Ms. Housewife

Postby towanda » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:56 am

Two questions:

1. Why pay $30 for a steak that isn't Kobe beef?

2. What, exactly, is the difference between a supper club and a restaurant?

Well, OK, three questions: was the Gobbler some bizarre aberration?
towanda
Forum Addict

Postby coldspot » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:25 am

Vibe.
These days anyway.
coldspot
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews