MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 64.0° F  Light Rain
Collapse Photo Bar

Kilo Kai Spiced Rum (and I swear this isn't Hype)

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Kilo Kai Spiced Rum (and I swear this isn't Hype)

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:48 pm

Read an articlein the most recent Chicago magazine about the creator of Effen vodka (currently being drunk at High Noon by people who aren't aware that there are places called strip clubs). It appears he's rolling out a new product, called Kilo Kai. It's a spiced rum, and it's (obviously) aimed at the Captain Morgan market niche (and now you'll be able to order a Kilo and Coke...groan).

The article states that Mr. Effen is going to be test marketing Kilo in Chicago, Las Vegas and Milwaukee, of all the cockamamie things. According to the fledgling website, however, there's only the one Chicago joint that's serving it right now.

To liven up the Drinking forum, what say you about spiced rum? Should you, as the Kilo people say, "just say no to cartoons" when choosing an alcoholic beverage? Have you been to this one Chicago establishment, and have you tried this new concoction? Is Effen (and therefore Kilo) worth the hype?

Shit, I said "hype." Honest to God, I have no affiliation with any distillery.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:16 pm

Maybe Brad Trayser should be offering me a stipend. A Google search on Kilo Kai now brings up TDPF as the first hit.

Brad Trayser, contact me to discuss remuneration.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Kilo Kai Spiced Rum (and I swear this isn't Hype)

Postby white_rabbit » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:16 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
The article states that Mr. Effen is going to be test marketing Kilo in Chicago, Las Vegas and Milwaukee, of all the cockamamie things.

Back when I was bartending at Manoevers (now UPNorth, Manovers eventually moved to become Club 5), we were a test market for a vile little liquor name Zumbido. We couldn't give the shit away. But the test markets were Madison, Wisconsin, Boulder, Colorado and Ithacha, New York.

You have to be a pretty shitty boozed to shunned by a test group comprised of college students. Needless to say, that lighter fluid never went national. But, every once in awhile I still spot one of their promotional t-shirts.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby meowzamusic » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:26 pm

TheBookPolice wrote: Mr. Effen

This guy should come out and admit that his name is actually "Mr Fucking."
meowzamusic
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:34 am

white_rabbit wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:
The article states that Mr. Effen is going to be test marketing Kilo in Chicago, Las Vegas and Milwaukee, of all the cockamamie things.

Back when I was bartending at Manoevers (now UPNorth, Manovers eventually moved to become Club 5), we were a test market for a vile little liquor name Zumbido. We couldn't give the shit away. But the test markets were Madison, Wisconsin, Boulder, Colorado and Ithacha, New York.

You have to be a pretty shitty boozed to shunned by a test group comprised of college students. Needless to say, that lighter fluid never went national. But, every once in awhile I still spot one of their promotional t-shirts.

Was Zumbido that banana-flavored crap? If so, I couldn't agree more.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby magic moose » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:19 am

meowzamusic wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote: Mr. Effen

This guy should come out and admit that his name is actually "Mr Fucking."

No effen way.
magic moose
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:55 am

O.J. wrote:
white_rabbit wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:

Was Zumbido that banana-flavored crap? If so, I couldn't agree more.

Is that what it was? I have a Zumbido t-shirt (black with yellow lettering ... on the back is the name and logo, on the front in lower-case type it says "fertile") ... I have no idea where I got it, probably from some bar promotion.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby shilleryclinton » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:48 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:it's (obviously) aimed at the Captain Morgan market niche (and now you'll be able to order a Kilo and Coke...groan).

Shit, our reviewer forgot to make a coke-joke when taste-testing the Kilo Kai and Flosstradamus promo party in Milwaukee.
shilleryclinton

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:16 pm

Shit, our reviewer forgot to make a coke-joke when taste-testing the Kilo Kai and Flosstradamus promo party in Milwaukee.

That was a review? I like how they explain where Flosstradamus originates since it is such a mysterious name or maybe I'm rolling to hard to figure it out. Also Heath Ledger was shot? And Nostradamus predicted it? Is this a joke or is Floss face that stupid?
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:19 pm

Also....?
The company’s ill-conceived logo (insignia) is made up of two Ks and a skull. This reminds me of three things, only one of which doesn’t concern white supremacy.

The name of the booze is Kilo Kai. K and K. What's ill conceived about that? What do skulls have to do with white supremacy? Worst. Blog. Ever.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby shilleryclinton » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:13 pm

I'm sorry you felt patronized by the origin-story. Our core readership is probably not so well-read, or prescient, as you.
shilleryclinton

Postby Marvell » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:52 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:To liven up the Drinking forum, what say you about spiced rum?

I have no strong opinion about spiced rum - I don't drink it myself, but if other people want to, what the hey.

Using twee anachronisms like 'What say you?', on the other hand, drives me nucking futs.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:53 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Maybe Brad Trayser should be offering me a stipend. A Google search on Kilo Kai now brings up TDPF as the first hit.

Brad Trayser, contact me to discuss remuneration.

Good luck with that - I heard that guy is a Trayser snake.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:59 pm

Bought a bottle today at Woodman's West. Just finished a jigger, neat, as a test. Pretty drinkable. Never was much of a Captain Morgan fan, and even the Tattoo sub-line had a lot of alcohol bite to it. This is not just tasty, but different, and in a one-brand market, that's a good thing.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:24 am

TheBookPolice wrote:Never was much of a Captain Morgan fan, and even the Tattoo sub-line had a lot of alcohol bite to it. This is not just tasty, but different, and in a one-brand market, that's a good thing.

"One brand market"? When Admiral Nelson and Sailor Jerry hear that they're gonna be pissed.
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails