MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 36.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Carrier, PBS

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?

Carrier, PBS

Postby bystander » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:50 pm

This is a fantastic series! I didn't know the soldiers had to pay for their own meals while on cruise.
bystander

Re: Carrier, PBS

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:04 pm

bystander wrote:This is a fantastic series! I didn't know the soldiers had to pay for their own meals while on cruise.

Soldiers on a cruise? Which line, maybe Princess? I thought meals were included.

If you meant sailors or marines having to pay for their meals while their ship is deployed, that's news to me. I spend four years in the Navy (albeit many years ago) and was at sea for much of that time, yet all my meals aboard were free.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bluethedog » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:10 pm

Yup, PBS rocks.

How am I ever going to keep my resolution to not get one of those digital converters if they get throwing stuff like this out?
bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:55 pm

I tuned in tonight and was fascinated. Thanks for the tip!
Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Carrier, PBS

Postby bystander » Thu May 01, 2008 2:59 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
bystander wrote:This is a fantastic series! I didn't know the soldiers had to pay for their own meals while on cruise.

Soldiers on a cruise? Which line, maybe Princess? I thought meals were included.

If you meant sailors or marines having to pay for their meals while their ship is deployed, that's news to me. I spend four years in the Navy (albeit many years ago) and was at sea for much of that time, yet all my meals aboard were free.

Well in the first or second show a guy was complaining that he had to pay for his meals. And then in a later show a guy said that the NAVY takes $250.00 out of his paycheck every month for food, so he eats as much as he can to get his money's worth.

And then I googled it and came up with this:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 138AAHtDKT
bystander

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu May 01, 2008 4:00 pm

bystander, thanks for the link.

Things certainly have changed since I got out in the distant past. Only those with families got a living allowance, especially if they lived off base. Meals were always free for those on land duty, in the shore mess halls or if you were stationed aboard a ship. I certainly ate my share.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Thu May 01, 2008 4:56 pm

I saw a couple episodes of this two nights ago, and yes, it's a great series. I'm amazed at how candid many of the crew are in front of the cameras. PBS must have been there for weeks beforehand to get them acclimated.

Quick question though-- anyone else notice lots of video noise/snow in some segments? Is it due to the cameras they're using? We were trying to troubleshoot that the other night, wondering if it was signal reception, Charter's propagation, TV, etc. Since it varies by segment, we're assuming it's a production issue.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Wed May 07, 2008 12:35 pm

ilikebeans wrote:I saw a couple episodes of this two nights ago, and yes, it's a great series. I'm amazed at how candid many of the crew are in front of the cameras. PBS must have been there for weeks beforehand to get them acclimated.

Quick question though-- anyone else notice lots of video noise/snow in some segments? Is it due to the cameras they're using? We were trying to troubleshoot that the other night, wondering if it was signal reception, Charter's propagation, TV, etc. Since it varies by segment, we're assuming it's a production issue.

I noticed that too, but I put it on having rabbit-ears. Maybe it has something to do with all of the electronic interference onboard.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed May 07, 2008 1:12 pm

I noticed in one of the episodes' credits that one of the producers is none other than Mel Gibson. That might account for the incredible access the filmmakers got.

Every night I planned on watching only a half hour or so and got sucked into 2 hours each time. It was exactly what you want out of a documentary... they bring you to a place where you're never going to get on your own.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Return to TV