MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, August 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 82.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

DVD-R Players

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Postby MadMind » Mon May 05, 2008 4:28 pm

Anyone have anything helpful to say?
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon May 05, 2008 4:34 pm

Get one of them fancy cable boxes, a cell phone, and throw all your VHS tapes in the dumpster like the rest of us did 10 years ago.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Mon May 05, 2008 4:50 pm

fisticuffs wrote:Get one of them fancy cable boxes, a cell phone, and throw all your VHS tapes in the dumpster like the rest of us did 10 years ago.

And how about you go suck a big-one douchebag.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon May 05, 2008 5:12 pm

You do realize there are probably better avenues to get these answers to your lame as questions. I'm sure who ever manufactured your crappy DVR has a team of tech support people in India waiting to answer your questions. I'm sure they can help you interface your typewriter with your cable ready CRT maybe even make it work with Windows 95 while they are at it.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Tue May 06, 2008 9:27 am

I can't believe it's rejecting almost every other tape for DVD-R burns. It's really pissing me off.
This is a newer (2008) unit, did older units have less copyright protection? Or has it been like this from the start?

And fisticuffs, I'm trying to get rid of all my VHS tapes by putting them onto DVD. That's one of the main reasons I got the combo player - so that I could put VHS to rest once and for all.
And some of the VHS tapes I'm trying to copy to DVD are materials which have never been made commercially available on DVD - so purchasing them on DVD isn't an option.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue May 06, 2008 9:35 am

You'll find a lot more copy protection in stuff like Sony, Panasonic than you will in random off brands at like Walmart. Sony in particular is in the Movie biz and the music biz so they do everything they can to protect that property. A computer based solution would have given you much better results with this but also would have had a pretty high learning curve.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Tue May 06, 2008 9:48 am

I plan on going the computer route eventually, but I want to use the stand-alone unit to copy all my VHS tapes over to DVD at the very least.
Am I going to be forced to purchase something like this? (which will not work on combo units, you must use an external source)
F**K COPYRIGHT PROTECTION!

fisticuffs wrote:You'll find a lot more copy protection in stuff like Sony, Panasonic than you will in random off brands at like Walmart.

Had I known that beforehand I might've chased down an off-brand instead.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Chinaski » Tue May 06, 2008 11:37 am

Not to sound snarky but there are probably some locally based video duplication places that would be happy to help you out.
They would have all the equipment to get past any sort of copyright issues.
Henry Chinaski

Postby Kenneth Burns » Tue May 06, 2008 12:37 pm

The tapes I've copied to DVDs have mostly been home-recorded stuff: Home movies, and also things like the "Late Night With David Letterman" episodes I recorded in 1984, when I thought watching Letterman was pretty edgy for an eighth grader. (In truth, I prize those recordings as much for the late-night Nashville commercials as for the actual shows.)
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Tue May 06, 2008 5:11 pm

this copy protection nonsense is exactly why I reccomended a PC program rather than a standalone box.

the simpler is seems, the less versatile it is.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Thu May 08, 2008 9:29 am

There are many ways to skin a cat.

You are only going to get advice as good as your description of your needs, and the audience you are talking to. My first step in doing something like this that I have never done is to search Google. I usually spend several hours (sometimes I get lucky and it takes only a few minutes) reading about what other people have done, what equipment and software they have used, and finally finding the combination of free tools available for me to accomplish what I want.

It ain't easy, but I like the knowing and the doing, even when it is frustrating. If you aren't thirsty for that kind of knowledge, troubleshooting, and the associated sense of accomplishment that goes along with finally getting it done on your own terms, then contact a local dubbing place and shell out some clams and be done with it.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Thu May 08, 2008 10:03 am

fisticuffs wrote:Guess you gotta pony up for the RF box then.

But aren't those for converting RCA to Coax and not the other way around?
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Thu May 08, 2008 12:08 pm

Beer Moon wrote:There are many ways to skin a cat.

You are only going to get advice as good as your description of your needs, and the audience you are talking to. My first step in doing something like this that I have never done is to search Google. I usually spend several hours (sometimes I get lucky and it takes only a few minutes) reading about what other people have done, what equipment and software they have used, and finally finding the combination of free tools available for me to accomplish what I want.

It ain't easy, but I like the knowing and the doing, even when it is frustrating. If you aren't thirsty for that kind of knowledge, troubleshooting, and the associated sense of accomplishment that goes along with finally getting it done on your own terms, then contact a local dubbing place and shell out some clams and be done with it.

Most of those articles reference the PC route and not stand-alone players, but I've deducted that I will need a macrovision remover to make DVD backups of my (owned) copyrighted VHS tapes.
Now I just have to decide on one, and online comparisons are hard to come by.

http://www.dimax.com.ua/common/default.shtml
http://www.checkhere22.com/stabilizer/
http://quaindinc.stores.yahoo.net/bvistfordvda.html

I don't suppose anyone has any experience with them or somebody would've already piped in?
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Fri May 09, 2008 12:18 pm

"If you transfer two hours of VHS to a DVD it can result in a significant loss of quality unless you have a high quality MPEG-2 encoder or use methods that encode the video at "half resolution." The normal DVD video resolution is 720x480 for NTSC, but some encoders and DVD authoring programs allow you to use 352x480 resolution. When you convert VHS to DVD this smaller resolution can still deliver very good results at the low data rates (bitrates) required to fit two or more hours of video on one DVD, especially if you use an analog-to-MPEG2 encoder or a standalone VHS to DVD recorder that bypasses the analog-to-DV step."

Man, in ENGLISH please!
And in what universe is transferring video at half resolution not losing quality?
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Fri May 09, 2008 4:11 pm

MadMind wrote:"If you transfer two hours of VHS to a DVD it can result in a significant loss of quality unless you have a high quality MPEG-2 encoder or use methods that encode the video at "half resolution." The normal DVD video resolution is 720x480 for NTSC, but some encoders and DVD authoring programs allow you to use 352x480 resolution. When you convert VHS to DVD this smaller resolution can still deliver very good results at the low data rates (bitrates) required to fit two or more hours of video on one DVD, especially if you use an analog-to-MPEG2 encoder or a standalone VHS to DVD recorder that bypasses the analog-to-DV step."

Man, in ENGLISH please!
And in what universe is transferring video at half resolution not losing quality?

This is going to be on the encoding/burning end of your project. Once you have the video transferred to your computer, you will be able to try all kinds of crazy things to maximize the use of the burned DVDs.

I would aim to capture max resolution from your tapes to digital media (ie: your hard drive), and then from there you can transfer it to whatever media of your choice.

The hard part is getting it from your VHS tape onto your hard drive. Once that is done, you can start playing with quality options on your burned DVD materials.

Solve one problem at a time - or solve as few problems at a time as you can. Once it's on the computer, you can do just about anything with it - and DVDs are cheap, so you will have all kinds of opportunity for trial and error - find a method you like, and then stick with it.

Getting it recorded to your computer with a decent quality is going to be by far the hardest problem to solve.

Very few things worth doing right are easy to do.

Just generally I'd be looking to other forums online to find people who have needed to solve the problems you have and have tried different solutions. The advice you're getting here (mine included) doesn't seem to really match up exactly, so you'll just keep getting more frustrated.

We're trying to help, but it doesn't seem like anyone here has really tackled this problem - or at least not succesfully.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Technology & Video Games