MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, August 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 64.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Is there a quality bread bakery in madison?

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Is there a quality bread bakery in madison?

Postby redrose » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:09 pm

Where can I find tasty, fresh bread in madison? Do people still care about eating homemade, naturally leavened, fresh baked breads- instead of that store bought nutrient lacking stuff? Organic perhaps? I hope so. Is there a quality bread bakery in madison? Who's bakes the best?
Your thoughts please...
redrose

Postby TAsunder » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:38 pm

I haven't done an exhaustive search in the entire city, but none of the bakers at the Saturday downtown market have thus far impressed me. I'd be curious what others think as well. I like some of the pastries at Madison Sourdough but their actual Sourdough isn't sour enough. Surely there must be a baker who makes sourdough better than the La Brea Bakery stuff in the grocery store or Panera.

For now I just use my breadmaker and make a somewhat decent loaf that is under $1 to make.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Veeder » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:42 pm

Whole Foods bakes incredible bread.
Veeder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:03 pm

I think Madison Sourdough is good -- and priced as if they've got the market cornered. Which it appears they do. I wish there were other options.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Is there a quality bread bakery in madison?

Postby Ducatista » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:09 pm

redrose wrote:Do people still care about eating homemade, naturally leavened, fresh baked breads- instead of that store bought nutrient lacking stuff?

Sure. And some of those who do, bake their own. I don't mean bread-machine bread, I mean real, by-hand bread. My sister is the best bread baker in all the land. She's done it often enough for so many years that to her it's a quick and easy process. I've baked bread using my mom's recipe, and it's not that difficult. Time consuming, though, so I don't do it very often. Too bad. It makes the house smell amazing.

Sorry, not what you were looking for, I know, but that's how some bread lovers do it.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:32 pm

Ducatista wrote:
redrose wrote:Do people still care about eating homemade, naturally leavened, fresh baked breads- instead of that store bought nutrient lacking stuff?

Sure. And some of those who do, bake their own. ...

Good point. My first bread baking experience involved Molly Katzen and a counter-top hand-crank stone-wheel grinder. When the flour was finished, it was warm from the grinding and perfectly ready for the yeast sponge. Between the grinding and the kneading (and the yeast, I suppose), it was a fairly aerobic process. I'd want mechanical assistance these days.

I'd also love to learn how to make a nice non-yeasted loaf. I like these best overall.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby redrose » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:52 pm

I think bread making is truly a beautiful art and a science. I don't have the talent or patience for it, unfortunately, but look up to those who do. I do agree that freshly home made is the best. It would be nice to have a neighborhood bakery that would do the work for me but make it feel as though my mother, or sister, had just baked it in our home kitchen..
redrose

Postby chance » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:24 pm

Clasen's European Bakery, in Middleton.
chance
Forum Addict

Postby fennel » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:34 pm

chance wrote:Clasen's European Bakery, in Middleton.

I've seen their bread, and squeezed it. It just didn't strike me as bread.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:00 pm

What's sad is that even the bread served at L'Etoile is marginal! It's not bad at all, but it's clearly of a lower standard than other foods served there. If there were as rich of a selection of local bakers as there is, say, of local cheese makers, I think they might have something better to offer.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby sitnspin » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:26 am

This is the only bread for me...delicious AND nutritious! www.madison.com/wsj/home/local/282193
sitnspin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby LargeMarge » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:32 am

If you really want homemade, using a KitchenAid mixer makes it pretty easier. I hated the breadmaker because it was so limiting.

I like the whole wheat sandwich bread at Manna Cafe. I love their bialys, too.
LargeMarge
Forum Addict

Postby Ducatista » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:49 am

redrose wrote:I think bread making is truly a beautiful art and a science.

A science, maybe, but not rocket science. It can get as complicated as you want to make it (there are some CRAZY recipes and techniques out there), or it can be a simple, immensely satisfying task.

Seriously, if I can do it, anybody can. You need a good recipe, and it helps to have somebody walk you through it the first couple times, though I don't think that's essential, especially if you've got a good book to follow and are willing to risk a few dud batches as you get the hang of it.

I'm not trying to talk you into it... but the mystique that surrounds bread baking is WAY overblown.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:38 pm

from Natures Bakery to Colonial to....there LOTS of good local breaderies.
What's up with a thread about baking and one about Guerilla Cookies all on the same day?
Did a hippy bus break down nearby?
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:51 pm

blunt wrote:from Natures Bakery to Colonial to....there LOTS of good local breaderies.
Good? What, do you mean karmically good? Maybe, but the bread itself is mediocre.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Cooking & Food issues