MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, August 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 67.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Sucre

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Sucre

Postby Bad Gradger » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:28 am

I noticed this week's glowing review of Sucre, the new(ish) patisserie on the Square, made no mention of the service. Perhaps they have a different attitude when it comes to serving food critics, but both times I've been there it's been ridiculously slow - 45 minutes for dessert for two? Half an hour for drinks for eight? - and the staff have been far more snooty than any Madison establishment has a right to be.

Perhaps one has to go in dressed in the proper hipster attire; God help you if you're wearing jeans. Between the bad attitude and the worse service, I won't be back.
Bad Gradger
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 800
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:00 pm

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:17 am

I couldn't disagree more, and I've been there both in jeans and in cargo shorts (not at the same time).

Yes, the service can be a touch slow, but it's a LOUNGE. Look it up.

The temperament of the servers, Dain in particular, has been spectacular every time I've been there. But industry-wide, wait staff are what you give them. Maybe you betrayed your "oh-this-place-must-be-for-hipsters" low-n-mighty attitude a little too early in the evening?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 8365
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:09 pm
Location: The mystical Far East

Postby Ducatista » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:38 am

Eight of us stopped in one night after a movie. The host haughtily informed us that they require a reservation to seat a party that large. He paused just long enough for us to wonder whether he was actually going to shoo us back into the raging storm, despite the fact that there were only two other people in the place... then allowed as how he'd seat us, this time.

After that annoying start, service was good, and the desserts and drinks were fine.

I like the place. For some reason it reminded me of the strip lounge in Lost in Translation. A nice change of pace from our usual after-movie landing spots.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4336
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:31 pm
Location: 53703

Postby TAsunder » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:47 am

I've not been there during a busy time, but I went a few times early on after it opened, and the service was great. The desserts range from decent to good. I'm not really sure how they are surviving with such limited offerings; maybe they expanded their menu.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4781
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2001 1:21 pm
Location: Near East Side, Madison

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:52 am

TAsunder wrote:I'm not really sure how they are surviving with such limited offerings; maybe they expanded their menu.

Not only are their desserts amazing (YMMV), and their drink menu wide and wonderful, but read the linked review above; they have recently added a full dinner menu to complement their longstanding small lunch menu.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 8365
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:09 pm
Location: The mystical Far East

Postby coldspot » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:06 am

Most uppity servers take it upon themselves to act this way. They seem to determine that being a student in your twenties is a license to be a pig to anyone who dares ask for decent service. Owners usually have little to do with honing this overly pretentious attitude. Next time complain and bring the little fuckers down a notch. Good service depends on customer feedback in this town.
coldspot
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 137
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:50 am

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:17 am

coldspot wrote:Most uppity servers take it upon themselves to act this way. They seem to determine that being a student in your twenties is a license to be a pig to anyone who dares ask for decent service. Owners usually have little to do with honing this overly pretentious attitude. Next time complain and bring the little fuckers down a notch. Good service depends on customer feedback in this town.

Funny. Nothing you just posted disproves my server attitude hypothesis in any way. Maybe if you just went to a place with no preconceived notions, you'd find people less likely to respond negatively to your presence. It's magical!

Sucre is a nice place. It serves nice food and drink. It's not, dare I say it, McDonald's.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 8365
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:09 pm
Location: The mystical Far East

Postby Garimba » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:24 am

I go so often I should be in a coma! I've never been disappointed there by anything or anyone. (Well there was that fat lady that butted in front of me once but you can't blame her too much).

The one time I had to wait I was acknowledged with a smile and a "I'll be with you in a moment". That's all I need to feel ok about having to wait for a bit.

And the lemon tarts? *drool*
Garimba
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 489
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:13 pm

Postby coldspot » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:49 am

TheBookPolice wrote:
coldspot wrote:Most uppity servers take it upon themselves to act this way. They seem to determine that being a student in your twenties is a license to be a pig to anyone who dares ask for decent service. Owners usually have little to do with honing this overly pretentious attitude. Next time complain and bring the little fuckers down a notch. Good service depends on customer feedback in this town.

Funny. Nothing you just posted disproves my server attitude hypothesis in any way. Maybe if you just went to a place with no preconceived notions, you'd find people less likely to respond negatively to your presence. It's magical!

Sucre is a nice place. It serves nice food and drink. It's not, dare I say it, McDonald's.


Look, I have never been to Sucre and was not commenting specifically about Sucre. I was responding to the numerous implications in several forums about lousy servers with bad attitudes.

I am happy for you that life in your magical kingdom has never included feeling insulted by a server. I am sure that books like "Chicken Soup for the Soul" and "The Secret" are favorites of yours.

I always have a positive vibe when going to restauants, why else would I go? The fact is, there are a lot of lousy servers out there. I am really happy that you haven't run into one. Maybe you could write your own book so the rest of us can be spared the insult of spending good money to feel like someone is doing us a favor by just doing their job.
coldspot
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 137
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:50 am

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:55 am

coldspot wrote:I am sure that books like "Chicken Soup for the Soul" and "The Secret" are favorites of yours.

Ah, more insults and faulty notions. You're a peach.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 8365
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:09 pm
Location: The mystical Far East

Postby coldspot » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:56 am

I love peaches.
coldspot
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 137
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:50 am

Postby coldspot » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:58 am

TheBookPolice wrote:I couldn't disagree more, and I've been there both in jeans and in cargo shorts (not at the same time).

Yes, the service can be a touch slow, but it's a LOUNGE. Look it up.

The temperament of the servers, Dain in particular, has been spectacular every time I've been there. But industry-wide, wait staff are what you give them. Maybe you betrayed your "oh-this-place-must-be-for-hipsters" low-n-mighty attitude a little too early in the evening?


And you are never insulting? You're a goddamn joke! :lol:
coldspot
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 137
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:50 am

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:12 am

You're right. I should have just said "martyr complex" and been done with it. Apologies.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 8365
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:09 pm
Location: The mystical Far East

Postby coldspot » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:36 am

You're right, most rotten servers do have a "martyr complex". I am glad we're on the same page.
coldspot
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 137
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:50 am

Postby Bad Gradger » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:09 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Yes, the service can be a touch slow, but it's a LOUNGE. Look it up.

So you wouldn't find 45 minutes a ludicrously long time to have two pastries moved from display case to plate to table?
But industry-wide, wait staff are what you give them. Maybe you betrayed your "oh-this-place-must-be-for-hipsters" low-n-mighty attitude a little too early in the evening?

Boy, do you have my number! Every time I go into a classy joint, I loudly demand a PBR, let a nice juicy one rip, and demand they put some Kenny Chesney on the PA, just to remind 'em who's boss.
It's not, dare I say it, McDonald's.

That's pretty much the attitude I experienced at Sucre, the notion that I ought to feel privileged to be in such an amazing establishment.

My anecdote is that both times I've been to Sucre, I've gotten a snooty attitude from the staff, and have been made to wait an unreasonably long time for service. Nowhere else I've eaten in Madison - not Delmonico's, not L'Etoile, not anywhere - have I been made to feel as unwelcome as at Sucre. On that basis I won't be back. I'm glad you enjoyed it, but please don't assume I'm some ignorant hayseed because I didn't.
Bad Gradger
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 800
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:00 pm

Next

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR

cron
Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar