MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 59.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Home Brewing Star-Up?

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Home Brewing Star-Up?

Postby satta » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:54 pm

Anybody have advice for someone looking to get started on home brewing? kits, costs, etc?
satta

Postby Learned » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:02 pm

One caveat: I have not brewed in a couple of years (marriage, baby, etc. are my excuses) so caveat emptor.

Wine & Hop Shop
http://www.wineandhop.com/

. . . got me started and I was always welcomed there (even while I was brewing absolute swill)
Learned
Forum God/Goddess

Postby indycoyote » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:08 pm

Buy Charlie Papazian's books and fuck that homebrew store, go to http://www.morebeer.com for all the ingredients and hardware that you need.
Better quality, cheaper prices, hands down.
indycoyote
Forum Addict

Postby fennel » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:24 am

I gather he hasn't published in years, but Greg Noonan is the King of Pilsner, as far as I know. I vaguely remember he published a home brewer's guide to pilsners in the late 80s.

But pilsners are not really for beginners, so I'd recommend English-style ales to begin with, for the first few years. Unless you recoil from hoppy beers, you'll have the best luck with these. (Note: there are a fair amount of ales that are not higly hppped. Have a look around.)
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby magic moose » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:09 am

indycoyote wrote:Buy Charlie Papazian's books and fuck that homebrew store, go to http://www.morebeer.com for all the ingredients and hardware that you need.

Buy the book. Don't fuck the store. Got my starter kit in a 'tosa store. Made one kit beer and quickly decided to wing it. I go to the shop here.

I'll try online, but there's some value to "hopping" around the store and seeing what's out there for local artisans and the true Wisconsin craft fair item. Bracelets and sculptures are cool, but you can't get loaded on them.
magic moose
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Chinaski » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:25 am

The Brew and Grow place on Agriculture Drive has kits priced very reasonably. Also a good place to go if you're growing tomatoes in your closet.
Henry Chinaski

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:18 am

The Brew and Grow place on Agriculture Drive has kits priced very reasonably. Also a good place to go if you're growing "tomatoes" in your closet.

Fixt.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:51 pm

To para-bastardize Pat McDonald from another thread, "My closet's so bright I gotta wear shades."
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bierslayer » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:45 pm

bierslayer

Postby kweetech » Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:02 pm

indycoyote wrote:Buy Charlie Papazian's books and fuck that homebrew store, go to http://www.morebeer.com for all the ingredients and hardware that you need.

yeah..screw those locally owned niche businesses..who needs'em!

dumbass

wine and hop is a great local resource. Get a few books too...
fwiw..Don't waste time with extract brewing, go straight to the mash....you'll thank yourself for not wasting the time later.
kweetech
Forum Addict

Postby Beer Moon » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:20 pm

I found that I saved a fair chunk of change by shopping around for a kit online.

However, my beer kits and odds and ends, advice and such, have all come from the Wine & Hop Shop. Those guys are great.

Couple basic lessons: you need a bucket and a carboy - don't try to get away with one or the other. I recommend 2 carboys, so you can cycle batches if you want.

Get an auto-siphon that self-primes/self-starts. Doing it manually sucks.

Keep good notes on everything you do.

Any my favorite part of beer making is the hydrometer testing.

Also, I hate bottling. It took me 3 hrs to bottle the first time what with all the cleaning. I figured out how much it would have cost someone to pay me to do that at work, and decided to invest in a kit with one of those old refurbished Cornelius kegs. ~$150 well spent. Kegging takes about 10 minutes now.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Chinaski » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:57 pm

Bottling isn't a chore when you've got more than 2 hands. I have the 3 generation Bottling Line going when the time comes. My 6 year old on the spiget, the Old Man filling bottles,myself at the end with the capper.
Henry Chinaski

Postby indycoyote » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:53 pm

Yes, screw the locally owned niche shops that charge 3x what you should be paying...and are filled with out of date yeasts & stale grains that are poorly crushed and have been sitting for god knows how long. Why put some newbie through a 6 hour brew cycle of all grain when he doesn't have a clue how to ferment a wort yet? A simple extract w/adjuncts steeped for flavors is what he needs...and see, I didn't even call you a name!
indycoyote
Forum Addict

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails