MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, November 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 48.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

50th Annual Art Fair on the Square

Theater, Dance, Visual Arts, Music That Doesn't Rawk, Overture issues, etc.

50th Annual Art Fair on the Square

Postby sitnspin » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:14 am

Will you be attending this year? If so, what do you like about it? If not, why? I myself find it to be a mixed bag every year. Some crap, some fun stuff that inspires me. But I always end up "having to go for a looksee" to see what I might be missing.
http://www.mmoca.org/events/artfair/index.php
sitnspin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:43 pm

Usually too hot and crowded. Just like the Farmers Market, on Saturdays, too many zombis, with strollers the size of VW's and dogs! Also too much cookie cutter art. I like the smaller fairs, just like the smaller markets.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby sitnspin » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:47 pm

Bwis53 wrote:Usually too hot and crowded. Just like the Farmers Market, on Saturdays, too many zombis, with strollers the size of VW's and dogs! Also too much cookie cutter art. I like the smaller fairs, just like the smaller markets.

I agree about the heat, this weekend will be no exception, I hear. Agreed about the crowds, too.

Which "smaller fairs" do you attend/like? I need to branch out more.
sitnspin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:06 pm

Olbrich's art fairs, Gallery night is real nice, Mall shows, a gallery here and there.

And I still find some of the most inspirational art in student shows and outsider art.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bunny Chow » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:07 am

Fart Air on the Square is the weekend? Thanks for the heads up.
Bunny Chow
Forum God/Goddess

Re: 50th Annual Art Fair on the Square

Postby Garimba » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:41 pm

sitnspin wrote:Will you be attending this year?

Oh yes. Of course. I need another copper roofed bird house on a pole.
Garimba
Forum Addict

Postby Veeder » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:09 pm

When are the student art shows at UW?
Veeder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:36 pm

Veeder wrote:When are the student art shows at UW?

[url=http://www.union.wisc.edu/art]November 19-21, 2008
Student Art Sale[/url]
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby sitnspin » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:54 pm

This thread just reminded me of an opening reception ya'll should check out tomorrow night at Off Center Studios on Atwood tomorrow night:
http://www.thedailypage.com/theguide/details.php?event=204630
sitnspin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:20 pm

I've seen many interesting exhibits at the Memorial Union. Sometimes Hilldale has art by Madison School kids. I love how kid's art has that "don't tell me I can't do that" attitude. Michelangelo's Cafe has local art on their walls.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:33 pm

I plan to go...both days. Saturdays usually suck...bigger crowds that day. We spend much time at cooling off at a bar, drinking and watching passersby. We often buy art...usually get some ideas Saturday, make whatever purchases we make on Sunday. It has become a tradition for the missus and me. I understand and somewhat agree with the detractors though.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby hecky » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:58 am

I think the Art Center -- sorry, MMoCA -- needs to do a better job of picking different artists. If you've gone in the last couple of years, there's no real need to go again unless you're looking for something to do. There's usually one or two artists worth seeing, but it's probably not worth the vertigo-inducing crowds and heat. I guess what I'm trying to say is, It's fun if you're in the mood. Not fun if you're not.
hecky
Forum Addict

Postby YourMom » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:31 pm

Veeder wrote:When are the student art shows at UW?

The WUD Art Committee (at the Wisconsin Union) holds a Student Art Sale in November. This year works will be available for purchase Nov 19-21, 2008. All currently enrolled UW-Madison students are eligible to vend works at the sale. (More info will be posted to the WUD Art Committee website as they gear up in the Fall Semester.)

We also hold our traditional Student Art Show in the spring semester. The 2009 show will open April 3rd and run through April 26th. Any currently enrolled UW-Madison student can enter works to the jurying process. Again, more info to come as the student start planning the specific logistics for the show.

We do feature exhibitions in our regular show cycle by current/past students (selected through the submissions process each year), as well as MFA exhibitions each May. So, if you like student art, definitely check out the Wisconsin Union Galleries.

PS to artists interested in exhibiting (not just student artists)...you can find complete submissions information at http://www.union.wisc.edu/art/submit.html. In October, we'll look at packets for the 2009-2010 academic year.
YourMom

Postby sitnspin » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:02 pm

I heard this artist sold 7 pieces in his booth to Epic at the show! http://www.artfulhome.com/artist/7554.html Needless to say, he was thrilled. :D
sitnspin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kittyweird » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:43 am

Which "smaller fairs" do you attend/like? I need to branch out more.[/quote]

The Mt. Horeb Art Fair- this weekend July 19 & 20 - I've always enjoyed this show & this weekend I will be participating. Also Greenway Station shopping mall in Middleton is hosting an art fair on August 2 &3.
Kittyweird
Forum Addict

Next

Return to The Arts