MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Tuesday, July 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 92.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Sucre

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Postby TAsunder » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:29 pm

The stuff in the case has some additional things added to it before it comes to your table. If you order to go, they put it in a container and hand it to you almost immediately. The desserts when you stay and sit there are garnished and accompanied by stuff. At least, that is what the pasty chef claimed when I asked why there were different prices to go vs to stay.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:20 pm

Bad G., I don't think you're an "ignorant hayseed" at all. It seemed like you were all too ready to declare Sucre a hipster joint and write them off as permanently snooty by design.

I disagree, but I grant that if you go there expecting a chocolate lava bundt cake or sizzling apple pie (and I'm not saying YOU are, it's the generic "you"), you might find their attention to detail, their sommalistic (?) tendencies, and their precise behavior to be "snooty" when in fact it's a function of the kind of place they are.

And no, I wouldn't want to wait 45 minutes, but there are so many mitigating circumstances, it's almost pointless to hypothesize. Did you have a beverage, at least? Was it busy? Was it particularly late, or close to closing? Did they apologize for the delay?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bad Gradger » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:45 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Bad G., I don't think you're an "ignorant hayseed" at all. It seemed like you were all too ready to declare Sucre a hipster joint and write them off as permanently snooty by design.

What I reacted to was the tone we got from the woman helping us (the short blonde - is that Punky?) and the venom in her voice when I interrupted her chat with the table she'd seated, served, and given the check in the time since we'd ordered, to find out when we'd be getting our food.
And no, I wouldn't want to wait 45 minutes, but there are so many mitigating circumstances, it's almost pointless to hypothesize. Did you have a beverage, at least? Was it busy? Was it particularly late, or close to closing? Did they apologize for the delay?

Yes, the 45 minute delay came after a 20 minute wait for drinks; there were several open tables; we arrived at 7:30; no.
Bad Gradger
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:53 am

I went to Sucre last saturday night, just to see what it was all about.

Didn't have a problem with the service. They were actually startlingly accomodating - the place didn't have any open tables, just the window bar, but instead of just leaving us there, they allowed us to move once a table opened up. The host guy was helpful with the menu and drinks list, although he seemed a bit frazzled - they looked a bit understaffed for the shift.

Desserts were, as previously posted, amazing. We had amongs us the Sacher Torte, Opera Torte, Creme Brulee, and Cordials. Nary a missed note with the food.

Drinks - also good. The martinis were tasty and somewhat devastating. Pricy, though.

I like this place. But. I think they're probably a bit too hip for their own good. The video screens with the abstract color art, the loud ambiance, the thumping house music playing through the speakers - it can be a bit sensory overloading. Not everybody looking for a good dessert will always want to eat it in what looks like an Apple Store. While I'm a fan of the thumpy house music (and the Apple Store) even I may be put off by it if I'm just looking for a good piece of cake.

It is DAMN good cake, though.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:21 am

NullDevice wrote:I like this place. But. I think they're probably a bit too hip for their own good. The video screens with the abstract color art, the loud ambiance, the thumping house music playing through the speakers - it can be a bit sensory overloading. Not everybody looking for a good dessert will always want to eat it in what looks like an Apple Store. While I'm a fan of the thumpy house music (and the Apple Store) even I may be put off by it if I'm just looking for a good piece of cake.

It is DAMN good cake, though.

See, that's how you razz a place for being a little too full of itself sometimes.

1) Go there.
2) Comment.

Not

1) Post bullshit on Internet
2) ???
3) Profit!

For the record, Null, I agree on the Apple Store comparison. A little more softness on the hard edge would be nice.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Parintachin » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:27 pm

I forget, where does "collect underpants" fit in?

I shall go to Sucre this weekend as this debate has sparked my curiosity.

I'm curious as to the tone of such a place. If this is a casual/loungy/linger over your food kinda place, (and I think a patisserie + dessert lounge would qualify) I should hope that the service is slow/casual. If my desire is to while away a few hours of an afternoon, I don't want to be sat, processed, rung up and hustled out in rapid order. If'n I'm not packing up to go, the only time I want to see waitstaff is when they soundlessly refill my coffee as soon as my empty cup hits the table.
Parintachin

Postby Ducatista » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:47 pm

Parintachin wrote:I shall go to Sucre this weekend as this debate has sparked my curiosity.

You shall, shall you? Bet you'll dig the host with the British accent.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:00 pm

I love these weird generalizations about a restaurant's service. "I thought the service was terrible."

Unless there is a powerful mandate from management (and in a really good restaurant, there is) requiring excellent service that is unvarying from customer to customer, night to night, it is going to vary from person to person, night to night.

So identifying an individual ("short, blonde, spiky hair, female") in conjunction with a specific complaint about service makes darn good sense. General complaints are basically meaningless.

<Bad Gradger> did get this right, finally, in the last post.
christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby coldspot » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:03 pm

An authentic accent? Or pretentious, fake accent?
coldspot
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:17 pm

coldspot wrote:An authentic accent? Or pretentious, fake accent?

You have got to be fucking kidding me. Dain is from Australia. They speak in an accent different from ours over there.

Your boner for Sucre-bashing hasn't subsided yet? Shouldn't you be consulting a health-care professional?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Parintachin » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:23 pm

Ducatista wrote:
Parintachin wrote:I shall go to Sucre this weekend as this debate has sparked my curiosity.

You shall, shall you? Bet you'll dig the host with the British accent.

Do not fear my logophilia. Normal words are boring. Now, would you care to peruse a terse missive on gallophobia or would you prefer I elucidate you on a proper petit déjeuner?
Parintachin

Postby Ducatista » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:24 pm

Whad'ya know, TBP, I was just in the process of typing this when you posted:

If the host is the Dain that TBP speaks highly of, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt, and I'm even willing to concede that the haughty vibe I complained about earlier in the thread was an unfair judgment based mainly on the accent.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:47 pm

Ducatista wrote:Whad'ya know, TBP, I was just in the process of typing this when you posted:

If the host is the Dain that TBP speaks highly of, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt, and I'm even willing to concede that the haughty vibe I complained about earlier in the thread was an unfair judgment based mainly on the accent.

Dain Heffernan ain't exactly a common name, even in Oz (I bet), so I'm guessing the Dain Heffernan listed on the U of Queensland website is the same Dain now working at Sucre.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:04 pm

Parintachin wrote:...or would you prefer I elucidate you...

Only if you disambiguate me, too. (Just joshing. I'll bet you misused elucidate for comic effect.)

I like words as much as the next guy. Maybe it's from reading Fowler a zillion years ago, I don't know, but "shall" just sounds pretentious to me. Or Renaissance Fairish. A little silly, either way.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:08 pm

Oh my god, speaking of words, somebody at work just sent me a picture of a tee shirt that says:

YOUR
RETARDED

Fucking awesome.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews