MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, August 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 67.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Beach Baby?

We want to hear about your adventures, be they from Istanbul, Ixtapa or Ixonia. And hey, you might even find someone you can sell your extra Euros to.

Beach Baby?

Postby Veeder » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:16 pm

My wife, 9 month-old kid and I want get away from the upcoming Wisconsin winter. We were thinking Florida but can't get excited about it.

So we were thinking of heading to a Caribbean island or Central America instead.

Any ideas on a place for adults with an infant? Our idea of fun is sitting on a beach and eating good meals. I'd like to stay away from the fanny-pack crowd and I'd also like my child to survive the trip (so no Jamaica, Dominican Republic, etc).

St Martin and St John come to mind but I have no idea why. We'd love to rent a condo instead of staying in a hotel.

Advice appreciated.
Veeder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:46 pm

I'm been to St. Martin many times - lots of great beaches, and while I've been to the Virgin Islands, I haven't tried St. John, but St. Thomas has Megan's Beach, which is very kid friendly. As far as St. Martin, Orient is a great beach and has many beach bars for lunch. Le Galion, Le Petit Plage, Friars Bay and Anse Marcel are all good for children. They are all on the French side. I'm not as familar with the Dutch sides beaches.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:42 am

Here is a discussion on vacationing with a baby in St. Martin.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re:

Postby Crockett » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:06 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Here is a discussion on vacationing with a baby in St. Martin.

The thread is no longer there.

This is an age-old question. We've investigated Mexico (Cancun), the BVI, the Virgin Islands, etc. Hawaii would probably be the best choice but its so far. We've yet to pull the trigger on a baby vaca so I'd be interested in hearing more as well.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Beach Baby?

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:14 am

FWIW, Henry, it's Magens Beach. One of the few places in the world I have been. It's a fine, fine beach.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:33 am

Key West isn't exactly a beach town, but it's a lot of fun and the Cuban-inspired food is fantastic.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:15 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:K.. .... .... .....l. . ..... ...., ... i.. . ... .. ..n ... t.. .....-........ .o.. .. ..n.......

Jesus, Ned, you just don't quit.
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bsaw001 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:34 am

We haven't had the chance to go to the beach with a baby. We usually bring our baby to resorts with pools because its much safer for them.
bsaw001

Postby Dairylander » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:03 am

Veeder wrote:St Martin and St John come to mind but I have no idea why.

When we went to St. John, we had to fly into St. Martin, then taxi to the dock, wait two hours for the ferry, ride the ferry, taxi again...
A lot of schlepping, but nice once there.

Tamarindo: It has good surf and therefore a lot of young kids. The town has expanded quickly and their utilities haven't kept up. There have been reports in recent years of water quality problems from raw sewage.

Cancun: Avoid it like the plague unless you're into the whole "all-inclusive" mega-resorts and binge drinking American teenagers.

Instead of Cancun try Cozumel. There are direct flights there and it's very family friendly. Most of the hotels have sand but no beach. The waterfront drops off, which makes it more of a snorkeling/diving destination.
Dairylander
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:40 am

Dairylander wrote:
Veeder wrote:St Martin and St John come to mind but I have no idea why.

When we went to St. John, we had to fly into St. Martin, then taxi to the dock, wait two hours for the ferry, ride the ferry, taxi again...
A lot of schlepping, but nice once there.

Don't you mean St. Thomas, not St. Martin?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dairylander » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:30 am

Henry Vilas wrote:
Dairylander wrote:When we went to St. John, we had to fly into St. Martin

Don't you mean St. Thomas, not St. Martin?

Yep.
Dairylander
Forum Addict

Postby fennel » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:57 pm

"Summer is now approaching," when delivered on the first of March: guaranteed spam phrase.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby city2countrygal » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:06 am

I have to agree with the other posters about St. John. You must travel by ferry to get there, and it is a bit of a hassle, but a lovely trip coming into the bay. St. John is 90% (or so) preserved by Carnegie, and the beaches are pristine. There are fun underwater trails for snorkeling and diving.

I have also stayed on St. Thomas, and would recommend that wherever you stay, check that the beach is private for the resort, and also if they have dining and rental stuff at the beach. There's nothing worse than paying top dollar for a room, only to find out you share a public beach, or you have to bring your own snorkeling equipment.

I can recommend the Ritz Carlton on St. Thomas for multiple dining and pool options right next to the beach, which rents out equipment and gives lessons. Not cheap tho, unless you know someone who works there and can go off season.

As with many islands, the roads are not the greatest on St. Thomas (narrow with no shoulder, anyone driven the Road to Hana knows what I'm talking about). And they also drive on the opposite side, like in Europe. Just in case you were considering renting a car, how comfortable are you driving on the other side?
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:59 pm

city2countrygal wrote:As with many islands, the roads are not the greatest on St. Thomas (narrow with no shoulder, anyone driven the Road to Hana knows what I'm talking about). And they also drive on the opposite side, like in Europe. Just in case you were considering renting a car, how comfortable are you driving on the other side?

Plus the cars tend to have the driver's side on the left side (as in the States) so it's hard to tell where the center line is on the road.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:40 pm

city2countrygal wrote:I have to agree with the other posters about St. John. You must travel by ferry to get there, and it is a bit of a hassle, but a lovely trip coming into the bay. St. John is 90% (or so) preserved by Carnegie, and the beaches are pristine. There are fun underwater trails for snorkeling and diving.

St. John is one of my favorite places in the world, so I feel like clearing up some details. Laurance S. Rockefeller was the philanthropist who purchased and donated the lands for Virgin Islands National Park, which comprises about 60% of the island of St. John. The only entry fee for the Park is at one of the many beaches, Trunk Bay, so virtually all of the Park is free.

All the trouble to get there winnows away the chaff, to be blunt. The harbor is too shallow for the giant cruise ships, so there aren't mass concentrations of tourists anywhere. The cruise ships that land on St. Thomas sometimes bring groups over on the ferries, but they usually head right for Trunk Bay, so they can be avoided for the most part. Most everyone you see on the island (who doesn't live there) is there for at least a week, or maybe sailed themselves there, which greatly contributes to slowing down and decompressing from regular life. Last time we went, I met a recently retired businessman and his wife who, despite living in an isolated, exclusive part of the Outer Banks, chose to rent a condo on St. John for a month.

We have stayed several times at Cinnamon Bay Campground, which is not only the most affordable place to stay on St. John, but is also the closest you can stay to the water, coincidentally, due to the island's physical features and the National Park boundaries. We are going back to St. John in January, but this time we are renting a villa way out on the East End, to try something different. The kids are getting older, everyone can enjoy snorkeling now, we supposedly have a short hike down the hill to an isolated beach for family tube breathing fun. We will go back to Cinnamon, but I am looking forward to a vacation including warm showers this time.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Travel