MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, November 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 49.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

InBev buy A-B

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

InBev buy A-B

Postby beenthere » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:41 am

beenthere
Forum Addict

Postby Wanda » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:49 am

I heard a rumor that they're going to move their headquarters from St Louis to Madison.
Wanda
Forum Addict

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:20 am

Now none of the major American beer companies are owned by Americans. Not really all that surpised about this one.

InBev is pretty well hated in Belgium where they have been trying to squeeze out the Trappist breweries for years. They really hate Stella Artois there because its symbolic of a crappy lager that Brits and Americans think is good because its imported from Belgium and InBev has done a great job promoting the brand. Some of the InBev brands are pretty good IMO: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/InBev_brands. However, I try to do my best to buy the beers produced from smaller German and Belgian brewers (just like I try to buy Bell's, New Glarus, etc.). Can't help but love Leffe and Hoegaarden though!
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:31 am

Stella's popularity is a mystery to me. To each their own but two sips is all I can stomach.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:34 am

Agreed. I can stomach Stella Artois just about as much as I can stomach Stella Guru.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:46 am

BAA-ha ha ha!!
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:56 am

narcoleptish wrote:Stella's popularity is a mystery to me. To each their own but two sips is all I can stomach.

I really think its marketing. Jags think its good because its imported. I never understood Heineken or Beck's either. They all taste like cabbage to me. I'd rather drink cheap American domestic out of a can.

Frank Booth said it best--"Heineken...fuck that shit. PABST. BLUE. RIBBON!!!"
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:07 am

A huge, evil corporation with no conscience that makes crappy beer was just bought out by a huge, evil corporation with no conscience that makes crappy beer!

THE WORLD WILL NEVER BE THE SAME!

When they start to jerk around with the small craft brewers who actually make good beer, I'll start to worry.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:14 am

Beer Moon wrote:A huge, evil corporation with no conscience that makes crappy beer was just bought out by a huge, evil corporation with no conscience that makes crappy beer!

THE WORLD WILL NEVER BE THE SAME!

When they start to jerk around with the small craft brewers who actually make good beer, I'll start to worry.

Actually, InBev does buy up many of the "good" beer brands, and has been squeezing the European market for years. Leffe, Hoegaarden, Bass, Franziskaner, Haake-Beck, Spaten, etc. See the list of brands:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/InBev_brands

No one is surprised about the buyout, its been in the works for awhile. The impact it has on smaller breweries will be interesting to watch unfold. I know that InBev and their brands are pretty well hated by independent brewers in Europe.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Elliot » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:57 pm

And I can't understand why anyone likes Spotted Cow. Two sips in and I go looking for any other beer, even Stella. I think it's all marketing and peer pressure.
Elliot
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:01 pm

Elliot wrote:And I can't understand why anyone likes Spotted Cow. Two sips in and I go looking for any other beer, even Stella. I think it's all marketing and peer pressure.

Well, the next time I see a commercial for Spotted Cow, or have someone foist one upon me, I'll be sure to reconsider.

It's an easy beer that actually has some flavor. As opposed to Miller or Bud, which is pretty much colored water, or Rolling Rock, which is strained corn juice.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:35 pm

Elliot wrote:And I can't understand why anyone likes Spotted Cow. Two sips in and I go looking for any other beer, even Stella. I think it's all marketing and peer pressure.

Not marketing nor peer pressure, although I think they do good marketing.

I also think the reason for its popularity is a slightly sweet beer with a unique taste, very easy to drink.

I personally don't like the Cow, but do enjoy most other New Glarus offerings (esp. that Organic pale ale).

However, when my mom, who I don't think I've seen drink an entire beer in one sitting ever, tell me recently she really likes Spotted Cow I would say they have something out of the ordinary and enjoyed by many who don't normally like beer.

Also have another friend who for years "did not drink beer" until he tried Spotted Cow.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:40 pm

Sconnies are overly proud of the Spotted Cow, I agree. I can't tell you how many people have asked me if I've tried it and said its their favorite. As Bookie said, its very easy to drink, so that must be it. The flavor is too fruity for me.

New Glarus makes a ton of better varieties, and there are lotsa better Midwestern craft brews IMO. That said, its better than Stella...
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:43 pm

That Organic is very good I agree. I also agree that Spotted Cow is for non-beer drinkers or something special for those that usually drink unremarkable beer. Nothing wrong with that, its just not the best beer out there for beer drinkers.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:44 pm

eriedasch wrote:However, when my mom, who I don't think I've seen drink an entire beer in one sitting ever, tell me recently she really likes Spotted Cow I would say they have something out of the ordinary and enjoyed by many who don't normally like beer.

Bingo. It's not that challenging of a beer, but like Blue Moon or Newcastle, it's a non-Bud/Miller/Coors labeled beer (yes, I know Coors brews Blue Moon, but it's not plastered on the label) that is widely available in a lot of different venues. That makes it pseudo-exotic for people who wouldn't normally take that kind of chance.

E's mom might not take a flyer on a Delirium Tremens, even if she might like it. But she'll "go crazy" and order a Spotted Cow. My mom's probably the same way.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Headlines