MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Capitol Heat and Power
Wednesday, December 17, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 24.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Chiles Rellenos

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Chiles Rellenos

Postby Lily » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:05 pm

Can anyone recommend a really good place that serves chiles rellenos? The last place I ordered it, they served each pepper in a thick coating of deep fried corn bread which was hard on the outside and greasy, mushy on the inside. Once I cut into one pepper all the ingredients oozed out like a lava flow in one messy pool in the middle of the plate. I've never heard of the peppers in this dish so heavily breaded. It was actually quite disgusting.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Archipants » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:20 pm

La Mestiza has a pretty delicious chiles rellanos... quite a bit different than the other Mexican joints in town. A lot of the other places serve them swimming in their special sauce surrounded by a sea of refried beans. I remember La Mestiza's having just the right amount of sauce and the pepper was cooked perfectly. I have not had a better one in town yet.

I'm always up for a rellanos... I am interested in hearing other recommendations.
Archipants
Forum Addict

Postby TAsunder » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:22 am

It's a complete bastardization of everything that a chili relleno should be, but nonetheless I like the one at El Dorado. Blue corn exterior and cream cheese and other cheeses inside.

Perhaps it's just my favorite by default... I'm not too fond of the flattened pepper with greasy batter style either.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby brdnwi » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:02 pm

I ate one at Laredos and it was not good at all. I'm used to homemade Rellenos, that I love. Laredos didn't compare. It was covered in some sauce and it was just mush.
brdnwi

Postby Duncan Hines » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:54 pm

TAQUERIA GUADALAJARA
1033 S. Park St., Madison, WI, ; 250-1824

best and most authentic Mexican food in Madison
Duncan Hines

Postby Archipants » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:03 pm

Duncan Hines wrote:TAQUERIA GUADALAJARA

I am going to have to respectfully disagree with your recommendation. I went there last Wednesday evening for the second time - both times I had a chile rellano. Sadly, I found it to be comparable to the likes of Laredo’s, La Hacienda, and Mi Cocina, etc. The pepper itself was soft to the point of not having any consistency at all. It was hard for me to tell the difference between the texture of the cheese and that of the pepper. I prefer the pepper to have a bit more texture to it. The sauce on the top was very good and the dish was not swimming in it, compared to some of the other restaurants in town.

As for the cheese - the moment I cut into the pepper, a river of molten cheese flowed out and mixed with the lake of beans and rice - followed closely by a bit too much grease for my liking. I ended up actually NOT finishing it... I cannot remember the last time I didn't finish a chile rellano!

I really dig the atmosphere at the restaurant, the waitress was great, and the other dishes that I sampled were great. Obviously I am not doubting the restaurant's authenticity, and as far as I know, perhaps they do serve a completely authentic chile rellano, in which case I guess I prefer the non-authentic, less cheesy version.

I am curious to try the one out at El Dorado - it's been quite a while since the last time I dined there.
Archipants
Forum Addict

Postby rrnate » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:22 pm

I really like the Chile Rellenos at Frida's on State Street. They're all cheesy and spicy and delicious.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:24 am

Paging juanton...
christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bunny Chow » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:18 am

Duncan Hines wrote:TAQUERIA GUADALAJARA

I didn't have the chile rellenos but I did tried the gorditas and they were very good.

I'm always looking for a decent rellenos too. If I find one, I'll definitely let you know.
Bunny Chow
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Doctress Julia » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:03 am

Try El Pastor on S Park. Everything I have had there has been AWESOME. I lived in NM for 6 years and it was a lot like that. BUENO.
Doctress Julia

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews