MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 49.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Great Taste of the Midwest 2008

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Great Taste of the Midwest 2008

Postby crevice beatle » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:20 pm

Ok, I realize this is not craigslist but I plan on exhuasting any and every resource available to me.

I will preface this by saying I think someone needs to start a Beerfest thread either way, so let's talk anything beerfest related.

I was unable to score tickets to this year's event and I'm scrambling to secure some. I'm told time and time again that I should not have a problem finding tickets if I go to the Great Dane and/or outside the event early. The issue is, I met my girlfriend at the Great Taste last year (how romantic, I know) and I would Love to surprise her with tickets for our one year anniversary rather than subjecting her to us trying to hustle for them before the event. Anyone got any pointers on getting someone or no anyone?

I'd be willing to pay 10-$15 over face but prefer not to, not because I'm cheap, more so because I believe in keeping with the spirit of the event where ticket holders tend to help out nonticket holders---those other people who buy extra merely to mark way up are out of touch with the event's kind vibe... you know what I'm saying, this ain't no Packer game.
I'd be willing to throw in a 12 pack of some Fat Tire for good measure.

Anyway, aside from that, anyone have any thoughts on them getting rid of the bike racks this year?
Last edited by crevice beatle on Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Postby buckyor » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:01 pm

In years past, Capital Brewery would host an event the night before for all of the participants. I've scored a few tickets there in the past. Don't know if they're doing that again this year though.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby crevice beatle » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:15 pm

buckyor wrote:In years past, Capital Brewery would host an event the night before for all of the participants. I've scored a few tickets there in the past. Don't know if they're doing that again this year though.

Hey, thanks for the heads up; I haven't had anyone mention the night before at Capitol before. That buys a little time if I'm unable to get any before the 8th.
crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Postby redrose » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:00 pm

The bike rack issue is upsetting. Why in the world would they discourage biking to any event let alone one with a multitude of drinking involved? The bikers will just lock up to a tree instead I guess or else people will opt to drive...what exactly was the thought behind this decision? anyone on the committee who can enlighten us?
redrose

Postby crevice beatle » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:54 am

redrose wrote:The bike rack issue is upsetting. Why in the world would they discourage biking to any event let alone one with a multitude of drinking involved? The bikers will just lock up to a tree instead I guess or else people will opt to drive...what exactly was the thought behind this decision? anyone on the committee who can enlighten us?

I believe I read somewhere that this decision was made after a fatal bike accicent following the event. A person leaving the event biked off the edge of the Capital City Trail along John Nolen, hit his head on the rocks, you get the idea. I do not remembe hearing about this when it happened so I'm not even sure that it was last year or a few years prior. This is just what I heard prompted organizers to discourage bicycle riding to the event.
crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Postby redrose » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:38 am

hmmm... so it would be much safer to get behind the wheel of a car...
redrose

Postby supaunknown » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:54 am

I need a ticket too. If I can't score one this might end up being the first Taste I've missed in many years. And I hear ya crevice beatle - I'm not willing to get gouged through some reseller on eBay for tix. The Taste organizers frown on that.

I'll offer the same as cb: face value + a twelve pack of your fav brew + my undying gratitude. Will gladly pick up.
supaunknownATyahoo.com
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby robbie webber » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:26 am

crevice beatle wrote:
redrose wrote:The bike rack issue is upsetting. Why in the world would they discourage biking [snip]

I believe I read somewhere that this decision was made after a fatal bike accicent following the event. A person leaving the event biked off the edge of the Capital City Trail along John Nolen, hit his head on the rocks, you get the idea.

For the record, the person who died swerved to avoid a group of pedestrians on the path, and fell on the rocks by Monona Terrace. He didn't hit his head, he sustained internal injuries because he feel on sharp rocks on his side (more on that below.)

There was no information at the time that he was impaired, he simply crashed. Perhaps the pedestrians moved suddenly or something. He was a young but very experienced bicyclist, and was on his way back to Sun Prairie via bike. This would lead me to believe he wasn't very drunk, since that's a good hike.

The strange part of the story wad that he was taken to UW Hospital and held overnight. He was released in the morning and went home with his mother. He died later that afternoon of internal bleeding!

I do not know the details, but apparently there will be some arrangement for bicycle parking at the event, but not in the normal, obvious and convenient spot. I've been meaning to find out if anyone knows the details, because I just heard from the new Parks Dept head that, "something was worked out."
robbie webber
Forum God/Goddess

Postby crevice beatle » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:43 am

redrose wrote:hmmm... so it would be much safer to get behind the wheel of a car...

I could not agree more that it is ridiculous to discourage bicycling. It is my understanding that they are trying encourage people to use the shuttle buses... but this also makes little sense because the shuttles do not take people directly home, only back to the bars. I suppose one could argue that the event ends early enough for a Metro ride home and at the very least, a shuttle part way makes for a cheaper cab fare home. In the end people are going to do what they want to though. Regardless of what they set up or take away for bikes, there are plenty of trees.
crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Postby supaunknown » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:37 am

Could swear that Meowza told me that Union Cab (thru an agreement with the Home Brew Guild) offers free cab rides home from the Taste, to anywhere in Dane County. Generous driver tip not included. I just learned about this recently so I haven't taken advantage of it yet. Supposedly the cabs line up down by the main park entrance/exit (?).
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bob Cobb » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:45 pm

supaunknown wrote:Could swear that Meowza told me that Union Cab (thru an agreement with the Home Brew Guild) offers free cab rides home from the Taste, to anywhere in Dane County. Generous driver tip not included. I just learned about this recently so I haven't taken advantage of it yet. Supposedly the cabs line up down by the main park entrance/exit (?).

I dunno about all of Dane Co but yeah, free cab rides as long as it's to a residence and not a bar/restaurant/whatever. And yeah, a $10 tip at minimum to the cabbie should be mandatory.
Bob Cobb
Forum Addict

Postby gargantua » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:18 pm

Just be aware ahead of time that there are a lot more people desiring to use a cab than there are cabs. Prepare to wait, unless you are lucky or leave early.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby crevice beatle » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:55 am

I've got my tickets so I'm happy to know for sure I will be attending this year.

Any of you Great Taste veterens know what the protocol is on weather? Does the event go on in the rain??? and if it is so bad that it gets cancelled, is it rescheduled? Has anything like this happened in the past years?
crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Postby supaunknown » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:30 pm

Much thanks crevice beatle for hooking me up with that lady with the extra ticket. That was really cool. Now I am whole.

If anybody hears of more tickets available please let me know (supaunknownATyahoo). A lot of friends in our veteran tasting crew weren't able to score tix earlier this year and are now on the lookout.

I can only remember going to one Taste that had some rain. It's usually so sunny this time of the year that it hasn't been an issue. Or maybe we've been really lucky.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:50 pm

redrose wrote:hmmm... so it would be much safer to get behind the wheel of a car...

Neither is really that safe. The cabs or the shuttles are the way to go, or have someone pick you up. The line for cabs is pretty long, though. Our group always has something worked out in advance, usually a good-natured girlfriend that'll put up with our idiocy that evening. After a couple of hours napping on couch or the like, we head back to pick up the car. I've historically not always made the best decisions after that many delicious beers, so I always lock my keys in the car and leave my spare at our rendezvous point, just to be sure.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails