MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, October 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 56.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

gluten free / veeder free thread

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Postby Lovely Bunny » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:22 am

Magnus offers several gluten-free entrees and tapas, and even marks them with a little 'gf' for easy identification.
Lovely Bunny

Postby juanton » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:32 pm

Zloduska wrote:something about eating at Jamerica in the other thread

Do you know of any of the other items at Jamerica that are gluten free? We just found out David's Jamaican on Monona Dr. uses soy sauce in their jerk sauce, so my wife can no longer eat there.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Zloduska » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:13 pm

juanton wrote:
Zloduska wrote:something about eating at Jamerica in the other thread

Do you know of any of the other items at Jamerica that are gluten free? We just found out David's Jamaican on Monona Dr. uses soy sauce in their jerk sauce, so my wife can no longer eat there.

I'm not too sure. So far this summer I've only eaten from the Jamerica cart at the east side farmers market on Tuesday afternoons. I interrogated the owner of the cart and he was kind, assuring me that the Mango Tofu only had veggies, the aforementioned main ingredients, coconut milk, and curry paste. Curry pastes are suspect, but so far i don't *think* the one from Jamerica made me sick, it's just hard to tell. I ate at Cafe Costa Rican, and although it was majorly overpriced, that cool Rasta guy who's the chef was very accomodating about making sure everything was safe.

Also, tried Afrikana on Atwood Ave for the first time. Again, very overpriced and the meal portions were too small, however the kitchen and waitress were very nice about checking to make sure things were as safe as they could tell. I had the fried plantains appetizer (not breaded or deep fried with other stuff), which was excellent, and the Okra Sauce with Portabella mushrooms and rice on the side. They said the yuzu [correction: "fufu" not yuzu] (pounded yam) contains flour to make it more sticky, or something.

Also on the topic of curry pastes: I was very bummed out by two things- 1) Last weekend went to Bahn Thai over on Willy Street, and luckily the waitress spoke English well so I was able to determine what I could eat, but my favoritist dish ever, the squash curry, has wheat in the curry paste. Apparently the Pad Thai there is safe, which I ordered, and also the Vegetable Salad (an appetizer), but I was disappointed, since they had no spring rolls made from the traditional rice paper, only flour. It makes me wonder about all the other places I love squash curry and whether I can have it or not (Sai Bai Thong, Sala Thai, etc) 2) For the longest time I was going to Noodles and eating the Thai Curry Soup and Bangkok Curry Noodles, made with rice noodles and a curry broth, thinking it was safe since a worker told me that, but when I looked on the website, discovered that the ONLY glulten free dish was the Pad Thai. Bummer!

I have eaten at practically every freakin' Asian restaurant in town because I have the best luck finding options there. I love love love Chin's Asia Fresh because they have a handy dandy velcroed allergy chart right by the register that tells you what you can have, and there are many options, and the staff is nice about it. Also PF Changs in Middleton has a GF menu, and even a flourless chocolate cake for dessert! And GF soy sauce to boot. As for more faux-Asian cuisine, Flat Top Grill by Hilldale is a great place to go, but their options for GF sauces, which make or break the entrees, is practically nil, although they have a bounty of vegetable and protein choices, and GF soy sauce AND gluten free beer on the menu. I don't care for the beer, but if you want good GF beer, the best in town is at the Silly Yak Bakery on Mineral Pt Rd which has started to carry a reallly good imported GF brand from Belgium, including dark ales! (My favorite GF bottled drink lately though, is Pear flavored Woodchuck Cider.) One last pseudo-Asian dining place wtih GF options is the Rice Cafe on Gammon Rd by West Towne. New owner, very nice guy, and very willing to make stuff GF.
Last edited by Zloduska on Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Zloduska

Postby Zloduska » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:19 pm

Oh, a few more places in town to check out:

Downtown we have the Nitty Gritty, which now has a GF menu, and they are willing to grill things separately, and you can even have the fries! I also read online that Burger King now has dedicated fryers so you can get your fast food nosh on. Also downtown, if you are a big carnivore, Pizzaria Uno's has a GF menu.

I had a great experience at an unlikely place, Abuelos mexican restaurant near PF Changs on the far west side in Middleton. They have a GF menu, and it's very tasty. Lots of margarita choices too.

2 places I know have extensive GF menus but have not been to yet are Bluephie's on Monroe St, and Biaggi's on Junction Rd on the far west side. Biaggi's even has GF pasta I think, but they are hella expensive so I will wait for a special occasion. Monty's on the east side USED to have a GF menu, but lately they seem to have lost it, which is irritating, because they have great breakfast food and shakes.

Oh, I forgot to add to the Asian food thread: Chautaura and Himul Chuli are both pretty safe; I think they use GF tamari, and I've had good luck there. Finally, right now I live near the Bamboo Hut on Midvale and the Beltline and have not gotten sick there. I crave the green curry with eggplant and green beans, they have bubble tea, and their spring rolls are the bomb, usually. I think Indonesians tend to use a lot less wheat products and is more rice-based than other Asian cuisines. Oh yeah, they also blast unintentionally hilarious videos of catchy Indonesian rock/pop bands while you are dining.
Zloduska

Postby fennel » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:07 pm

Zloduska wrote:... I think they use GF tamari ...

I think tamari (properly labeled) is gluten-free by defintion, since it's a by-product of miso manufacture. That is, all-soy, traditionally.

I'm starting to wonder if we don't need a gluten-free-free thread. Seitan rocks, after all. I could live on that stuff! (My GF likes it, too!)
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Frank Booth » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:20 pm

fennel wrote:(My GF likes it, too!)

Your gluten-free likes seitan?
Frank Booth
Forum Addict

Postby juanton » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:05 am

Zloduska wrote:Also on the topic of curry pastes: I was very bummed out by two things- 1) Last weekend went to Bahn Thai over on Willy Street, and luckily the waitress spoke English well so I was able to determine what I could eat, but my favoritist dish ever, the squash curry, has wheat in the curry paste. Apparently the Pad Thai there is safe, which I ordered, and also the Vegetable Salad (an appetizer), but I was disappointed, since they had no spring rolls made from the traditional rice paper, only flour. It makes me wonder about all the other places I love squash curry and whether I can have it or not (Sai Bai Thong, Sala Thai, etc) 2) For the longest time I was going to Noodles and eating the Thai Curry Soup and Bangkok Curry Noodles, made with rice noodles and a curry broth, thinking it was safe since a worker told me that, but when I looked on the website, discovered that the ONLY glulten free dish was the Pad Thai. Bummer!

We eat the squash curry all the time from Lao Laan Xaang and my wife does not get sick from it. She asked the cook about the ingredients.

Sala Thai is owned by the same people who used to own the Corner Store on Willy St, and also used to own the Bahn Thai off of Willy St. They use the same recipe, the owner of Sala told us, for the squash curry and for some reason use soy sauce in the recipe. All 3 of those places are not safe for celiacs if eating the curry.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Zloduska » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:12 am

Frank Booth wrote:

Whoa, where do you get gluten-free seitan?! Normally that stuff is a gluten atomic bomb! Heh. It would be funny though, to have a GF substitute of a meat substitute. It's really hard to find a veggie burger that is GF nowadays. Gardenburger used to have a tasty flame-grilled veggie burger that was safe, but they were bought out by some company and now the bastards changed all their recipies. The other ones I've found are very... soft and floppy.
Zloduska

Postby Zloduska » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:27 am

juanton wrote:We eat the squash curry all the time from Lao Laan Xaang and my wife does not get sick from it. She asked the cook about the ingredients.

Sala Thai is owned by the same people who used to own the Corner Store on Willy St, and also used to own the Bahn Thai off of Willy St. They use the same recipe, the owner of Sala told us, for the squash curry and for some reason use soy sauce in the recipe. All 3 of those places are not safe for celiacs if eating the curry.

I love Lao Laan Xaang, good to know the curry is safe. I think that's the place where they have those weird mung bean starch snacks that are crunchy and look like foam packing peanuts, which are GF. I really like their Spinach soup.

That sucks about the red curry at the Thai restaurants. Oh well, that's more motivation to make it at home from scratch I guess. Oh, if you go to Woodman's in the ethnic food isle, Taste of Thai has a lot of GF-labeled products; they have a red curry paste that is great and also a starter for Tom Ka, coconut soup in which you just had veggies, tofu, or meat and coconut milk.
Zloduska

Postby maddycat » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:27 pm

Zloduska wrote:
Frank Booth wrote:

Whoa, where do you get gluten-free seitan?! Normally that stuff is a gluten atomic bomb! Heh. It would be funny though, to have a GF substitute of a meat substitute. It's really hard to find a veggie burger that is GF nowadays. Gardenburger used to have a tasty flame-grilled veggie burger that was safe, but they were bought out by some company and now the bastards changed all their recipies. The other ones I've found are very... soft and floppy.

Check out Nature's Bakery, local veggie burgers (get them at Willy St. Coop)- they have at least one variety that I have found that is gluten free (they are not labeled GF but their ingredient lists are very clear). They are hearty and pretty tasty. Now the real problem comes in with finding a decent bun to put it on!
maddycat

Postby Zloduska » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:39 pm

maddycat wrote:
Zloduska wrote:
Frank Booth wrote:Check out Nature's Bakery, local veggie burgers (get them at Willy St. Coop)- they have at least one variety that I have found that is gluten free (they are not labeled GF but their ingredient lists are very clear). They are hearty and pretty tasty. Now the real problem comes in with finding a decent bun to put it on!

Eh, their burgers are OK, but I really liked the Gardenburger ones best of all. As for the bun, no problem-- the Silly Yak Bakery (you can probably tell by now I go there a lot) has these rolls (two per package), made from the same dough as their featured breads, that when you cut them in half are just like normal hamburger buns, albeit much more expensive. And yet they are like, gourmet and much tastier since they come in flavors like Garlic Cheddar, Onion Dill, Tomato Basil Feta, etc. Sure beats Wonderbread, even if you pay out the ass for it.
Zloduska

Postby juanton » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:06 pm

MaddyCat told me I was sort of right about oats when I got home from work yesterday. Oh well, I tried. Selective listening on my behalf, I guess. :) She makes some mean pita bread for us at home and has made some great tasting onion rings as well.

You obviously know about this place then? We went there recently while in Milwaukee. We just had an order arrive to our house in 2 days.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Zloduska » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:44 am

juanton wrote:You obviously know about this place then? We went there recently while in Milwaukee. We just had an order arrive to our house in 2 days.

Yeah, I haven't been there but I've heard of it. Every time I'm in Milwaukee and plan to go, something comes up. Also I should probably wait until I can afford a real spree. ;-) A couple times when I was visiting my boyfriend's family (he's from there), his mother was nice enough to go buy products from that store so I could have something to eat for dinner, and gave me some frozen pizza crusts, which were really good! Have you been to the restaurant Beans & Barley in Milwaukee? Despite the scary name (heh), they have extensive gluten free options and a neat grocery section too.

So anyway, last night we went to the Weary Traveller for dinner. I was going to have the mexican appetizer with chips and guac, but noticed they have a new dish, Black Beans, Corn and Quinoa salad with avocadoes and tomatoes and Serrano/Orange vinagrette. The waitress assured me it was free of wheat and gluten, and it was pretty tasty, but today I feel just AWFUL and like I got majorly glutened (the whole being-eviscerated-by-an-alien-being-in-my-gut feeling and extreme exhaustion). I don't know if it's just me, something else, or if the meal was not GF.
Zloduska

Re: gluten free / veeder free thread

Postby juanton » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:45 am

Angelo's on Monona Dr. just started offering gluten free crust as an option. I called them yesterday and they assured me that none of the sauces or ingredients that they use for their pizzas contain gluten. Apparently a couple of family members are gluten free eaters. They are considering pasta if they can find a brand that they like.

We ordered a 10 inch GF chicken, bacon, and ranch pizza for my wife and a 12 inch gluten full pizza for me and the kids. Damn tasty and cheap, $23 for both pizzas.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Re:

Postby Zloduska » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:26 pm

Zloduska wrote:
Frank Booth wrote:

Whoa, where do you get gluten-free seitan?! Normally that stuff is a gluten atomic bomb! Heh. It would be funny though, to have a GF substitute of a meat substitute.

Well it turns out I can literally eat my words, 'cuz I was wrong. Some clever person actually came up with a recipe for gluten-free gluten, aka the non-wheat-meat:

http://learningvegan.blogspot.com/2010/01/gluten-free-seitan-aka-non-wheat-meat.html

and

http://stanford.wellsphere.com/healthy-cooking-article/gluten-free-gluten/472515

Wow, the irony.
Zloduska

PreviousNext

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews