MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Saturday, July 12, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 76.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Cloud 9 Grille

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Postby Parintachin » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:31 pm

towanda wrote:I've been there twice. Completely inadequate vegetarian options.

And to me, that's a sign of Quality!

Pari: The unrepentant, bone-roasting, marrow-eating omnivore.
Parintachin

Postby Garimba » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:41 am

and you would be the one that goes to Casa de Lara and bitches cause you can't get a good bagel.
Garimba
Forum Addict

Postby towanda » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:47 am

Garimba wrote:

and you would be the one that goes to Casa de Lara and bitches cause you can't get a good bagel.

Nope. Never been to Casa de Lara. But the two times I was at Cloud 9 were at the behest of people who knew I was vegetarian and insisted that they had plenty of vegetarian options.
towanda
Forum Addict

Postby Mean Scenester » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:42 am

Went there just this week and wasn't overly impressed.

Service was good, and my companion's steak was excellent, but she commented that the accompanying sweet potato hash tasted like MSG was the secret ingredient. Salty to the point of being inedible. I had blackened catfish which was good, but also overly salty. Had a chicken tortilla soup that was pretty mundane. I think the best thing on my plate was the steamed beans.

So while I won't avoid the place, I'm not about to go running back. Also, the atmosphere is a little odd for the scale they're shooting for, I think. Feels kind of like a Red Robin. And while the steak was very good, for the money I'd sooner head to the Tornado Room.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby naybobber » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:47 am

Skip Cloud 9, and drive a few more miles out to 1855 in Cottage Grove. (turn left at the four way stop in the village). I've eaten there several times and the food is excellent, much more consistent than Cloud 9 which I have found ot be hit and miss.
naybobber

Postby entretanto » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:00 am

I'm pretty sure it's a right at that four way stop, but either way I second the recommendation for 1855. The brick oven cooked pizza was excellent.
entretanto

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:15 pm

Went last night for the wife's b-day to take advantage of $30 worth of free grub. Wasn't overly impressed with the food this time around (its been over a year since our last visit shortly after they opened). Last time I had the same pasta dish, excellent oysters (no longer on the menu) and the surprisingly tasty (but very filling) homemade chips with cheese. Service was very good this time, and the prices remained reasonable, but I would almost rather pay a little bit more for a more remarkable meal.

The food was extremely heavy and (agree with Meanscenester) very salty. The preponderance of salty bread accents like a beef carpaccio with 4 huge pieces of bacon-laden crostini the size of full slices of bread, large breadsticks with our seafood pasta dish, and dinner rolls might have had something to do with it. The calamari was actually breaded lightly and was fine. The pasta with roasted tomatoes, scallops and shrimp was fresh, but the sauce was overwhelmingly creamy and heavy. Drinks and desserts were nice (half price martinis on Monday). Overall, pretty good, but not great.

With so many better alternatives in town coupled with the slightly tacky decor and the almost nice view obscured by condos, we would probably go back again for a similar special, but that's about it. Intrigued by 1855, will have to roll out there sometime.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadChick » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:34 pm

I have eaten at Cloud 9 3 times, and the only thing I ever really liked was the potato chips on the app menu.

The service has always been poor, and more often than not, the food wrong in some way. The first time I went, beer took 20 minutes to arrive at the table, the appetizer came after the meal, and of 6 of us, two of us got what we ordered.

I must admit it's never been quite that bad since, but I don't look forward to returning.
MadChick

Postby narcoleptish » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:14 pm

I finally found the source of that persistent eastside spotlight of late. Cloud 9.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby radtek » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:18 pm

Left at the 4 way stop? I believe it is a right turn if your coming from Madison on CG road. Not to be nit picky, but I would hate for a fellow foron to miss out on great food due to a directional error.

I agree, 1855 has better food and more food for your buck. As you all may know it is run by the same guy who has the Tru bar and grill in Cambridge and now the Countri Tavern in Stoughton. (I don't think he likes to spell correctly)

Skip Cloud 9, and drive a few more miles out to 1855 in Cottage Grove. (turn left at the four way stop in the village). I've eaten there several times and the food is excellent, much more consistent than Cloud 9 which I have found ot be hit and miss.
radtek

Postby naybobber » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:48 am

Yup, sorry, for 1855 it's a right turn at the 4 way stop if you're coming from Madison. Not to be missed if you're in that neck of the woods.
naybobber

Postby MadMind » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:12 pm

I ate at Cloud 9 recently for the first time. Burger was nothing special. Not worth $8.95. I've had better at TGI Friday's.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby entretanto » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:29 am

narcoleptish wrote:I finally found the source of that persistent eastside spotlight of late. Cloud 9.

Reason enough right there to avoid the place. I don't care for persistent spotlights drawing my attention to mediocrity.
With all this talk of Cottage Grove destinations, don't forget The Outpost:
http://www.madison.com/tct/news/301383

Ask for the "Dinga."
entretanto

Postby Parintachin » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:44 pm

Went there last night for dinner.

The food was good. We had the white chedder sweet corn fondue and it was damn tasty. Came with homemade tortilla chips and breadsticks.

I had the Ribeye and it was at least a match for just about every steak place in town, except maybe Smokeys or Tornado Room.

But there just isn't anything special about the place. It's got the same menu and the same look as all the chain places in town and most of the upscale places. It's obviously trying to be a good local hangout but in trying to make everyone happy it's doing no one thing well. "Jack of all trades, master of none" kinda thing.

If you feel like reading a longer-winded more in depth rant, I blogged about it.

I wish them the best, but why should I drive all the way out there when I can get the same food at 10 other places?
Parintachin

Re: Cloud 9 Grille

Postby narcoleptish » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:01 am

I heard a sign on the door says they are closed and hope to re-organize and re-open eventually.

No wonder I hadn't seen the spotlight in awhile.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews