MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, December 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 35.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Contempt for the community will result in deactivation

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Contempt for the community will result in deactivation

Postby admin » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:38 pm

If the preponderance of posts from a member are insulting or combative, then that member's account will be deactivated.

Owners of deactivated accounts may email webmaster@isthmus.com to re-activate accounts. A second deactivation will result in a ban.

The Daily Page Forum is a community of people who have the right to post here without being defamed, attacked, insulted, threatened or treated disrespectfully. This policy takes effect Aug. 1, 2008.
admin
Forum Addict

Re: Contempt for the community will result in deactivation

Postby pulsewidth modulation » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:39 pm

admin wrote:If the preponderance of posts from a member are insulting or combative, then that member's account will be deactivated.

TheBookPolice's account will NOT get deactivated after it posts an "insulting or combative" comment. I wouldn't be surprised if it offers up insults in this very thread. This is predictable...

Rules and standards are only placed on those who do not share "Isthmus's" affinity for left/fiscally-liberal politics and social polices. Leftists have ahead of the line privileges on TDPF. That's a fact.
pulsewidth modulation
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:59 pm

1) You're ignoring me. Why do you care what I post?

2) You single me out among hundreds of commenters. Why?

3) The admin post reads "preponderance of posts." Are you tracking me that closely that you have numbers on the percentage of naughty posts I've made?

4) Why would you call me "it"?

5 (as a general comment)) I like this rule, but have fun herding the cats.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pulsewidth modulation » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:15 pm

Of course it says "If the preponderance of posts." That is how jjoyce keeps a grey-area open for exploitive interpretation of his new policy. "Preponderance" is variable, not exact. This way he can let his left/liberal activist friends, non-profit pushers, and left wing bureaucrats push the limits of the gray area within their attacks; while people like me will surly be restricted.

Classic liberal move.
pulsewidth modulation
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:17 pm

Preponderance of the evidence means that evidence, in the judgment of the juror, is entitled to the greatest weight, appears to be more credible, has greater force, and overcomes not only the opposing presumptions, but also the opposing evidence.

Seems fair to me. And you only addressed one of my four questions for you.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:21 pm

pulsewidth modulation wrote:This way he can let his left/liberal activist friends, non-profit pushers, and left wing bureaucrats push the limits of the gray area within their attacks; while people like me will surly be restricted.

Woo hoo! This is surly a great day for TDPF.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Wanda » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:24 pm

pulsewidth modulation wrote: while people like me will surly be restricted.

From the admin's post, it does indeed sound like it's surly behavior that is to be restricted.
Wanda
Forum Addict

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:48 pm

I just still don't understand why someone who hates the forum and the paper so much continues to post.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:38 pm

He hates our freedom.

I welcome the wrath of the Banhammer and its swift justice, here to usher the banned peoples into the waaaahmbulance on their way to Banadu.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bob Cobb » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:17 pm

This will be interesting. I predict that I do not last through next friday but the sycophants, two of whom have already posted in this thread, will not be touched.

I wonder what Joyce will consider "combative" or "insulting"? Like I said, this will be interesting. Heck, this post alone (the usage of sycophants) might do me in.

Guess I'd better "fall in line" before it's too late.
Bob Cobb
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:22 pm

I ask again, because it seems like some folks think I'm worse than Hitler: what have I posted that would make me fodder for this policy, above and beyond anyone else?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Archipants » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:27 pm

Bob Cobb wrote:Guess I'd better "fall in line" before it's too late.

Or better yet, you could just deactivate your own account and cut out the middle man.
Archipants
Forum Addict

Postby Bad Gradger » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:13 pm

Shipley wrote:I welcome the wrath of the Banhammer and its swift justice, here to usher the banned peoples into the waaaahmbulance on their way to Banadu.

Agreed. It's a general principle that the quality of a discussion forum is directly proportional to the willingness of admins to ban people.
Bad Gradger
Forum God/Goddess

Postby regicide » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:30 pm

Histrionics aside, this is hardly uncommon and probably a good idea as petty, personal sniping does drag the whole forum down. That said, this presumes that the policy isn't abused and I generally trust TDP to handle it responsibly. I don't think anyone here believes that ideological purges are a good idea. You can dislike people and criticize what they say, but this one-note talk-radio conspiracy theory crap is a waste of keystrokes and my reading time. I'm not even in the leftist "cabal" anymore, and that still stinks at a distance. So long as I can still tilt at Fennel's windmills occasionally, I'm fine with this.[/b]
regicide

Postby admin » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:32 am

Bob Cobb wrote:I wonder what Joyce will consider "combative" or "insulting"?

Your tone is insulting and combative 8 times out of 10. A good indication of why you're here is your contribution to a thread that's expanded to over 40 pages. After all those posts, yours appears to be the first that actually belittles someone else's contribution.

If your purpose here is to simply berate others, then that's not really buying into the whole concept of community.

Heated moments can elicit heated exchanges and the language here will probably never be rated G. But respect is expected and members whose goal is to berate others won't be tolerated.

If your definition of "fall in line" is to participate in the community with respect for others and to make positive contributions more often than negative, then that's what we're going for.
admin
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com