MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 66.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Contempt for the community will result in deactivation

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Postby Bob Cobb » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:23 am

If you're talking about my post in the "What are you listening to?" thread, then give me a break. I said that I thought Attack & Release is a better record than Modern Guilt and that My Morning Jacket sucks almost as bad as the Hold Steady. Tell me how I "belittled" anyone. Do you think the original poster's feeling were hurt by that? If so, they have larger problems to sort out, and you might too.

When you decide to swoop in and pull the plug with your iron hand of justice, so be it.

Total absurdity.
Bob Cobb
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:01 am

Postby TheBookPolice » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:27 am

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 8371
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:09 pm
Location: The mystical Far East

Postby harrissimo » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:49 pm

Your web forum experience will improve greatly if you keep the following in mind:

Assholes are just trying to get attention. If you ignore them they will go away. I know when I'm being an asshole I go away when I'm ignored.

You will never win an argument here. Don't even try.

You will never have the last word. Don't even try.

Nobody freakin' cares if your feelings get hurt. Don't be a cry baby.

Whatever band you like somebody will think they suck a big dick.

You will contradict yourself and then TheBookPolice or Henry Vilas will search and search until they discover your contradiction and expose you for the hypocrital idiot that you really are. Brace yourself. It's just a matter of time before this will happen.

Party On People!

<Hey Joyce I really think this post is pure genius. You should print it in your weekly rag. Come on! What do ya say?>
harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2557
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:33 am
Location: Spaight Street on the Isthmus of Madison

Postby bluethedog » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:35 pm

Holy Cow, that IS genius, even if you don't say so yourself.

TDP should email that to every new Foron.

I agree, print it.
bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1375
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:49 am
Location: West side

Postby blunt » Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:45 pm

There are times I wish I'd said more and times I wish I 'd said less and times I wish I'd said both nicer.
And times I regret not posting under a pseudonym because people know me and can punch me.
But it's good to remember the chimerality of TDP.
I've posted here on the run for about 20 minutes a day at the library for the past several years.
A daily snapshot of whatever electro-bio-chemical state my free-range organic fleshbucket forms.
I never see and reflect upon what I've written until the next day.
Oop!
These bits and bytes add up to a picture, like the dots in a newspaper photo.
Like how the sum of experiences and impressions create an ego.
blunt, the online persona, can be a gossip, an instigator, button-pusher, complainer, fire-starter, funny, obnoxious, annoying, and etc and etc.
And every now and then he snaps crackles and pops out a rant that's embarrassing for everybody.
Oh, he doesn't just wear his heart on his sleeve.
He wears his offal.
It would have been easier to join TDP under a alias because then the shame I feel could be deleted easier.
Now, after this last pathetic tantrum, bashing Isthmus and crying for attention, blunt has become so sadly transparent that he has just about lost his usefulness to me.
So.
One more fuck up.. and I'm gonna have to put blunt down.
Just an fyi to my fff.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 8246
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2001 6:19 pm
Location: Right behind you.

Postby Peanutbutter » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:39 pm

Much like Blunt, I also like unicorns.

And glitter is pretty too.
Peanutbutter
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 953
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:54 am

Postby Bunny Chow » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:43 pm

blunt wrote:There are times I wish I'd said more and times I wish I 'd said less and times I wish I'd said both nicer.
And times I regret not posting under a pseudonym because people know me and can punch me.
But it's good to remember the chimerality of TDP.
I've posted here on the run for about 20 minutes a day at the library for the past several years.
A daily snapshot of whatever electro-bio-chemical state my free-range organic fleshbucket forms.
I never see and reflect upon what I've written until the next day.
Oop!
These bits and bytes add up to a picture, like the dots in a newspaper photo.
Like how the sum of experiences and impressions create an ego.
blunt, the online persona, can be a gossip, an instigator, button-pusher, complainer, fire-starter, funny, obnoxious, annoying, and etc and etc.
And every now and then he snaps crackles and pops out a rant that's embarrassing for everybody.
Oh, he doesn't just wear his heart on his sleeve.
He wears his offal.
It would have been easier to join TDP under a alias because then the shame I feel could be deleted easier.
Now, after this last pathetic tantrum, bashing Isthmus and crying for attention, blunt has become so sadly transparent that he has just about lost his usefulness to me.
So.
One more fuck up.. and I'm gonna have to put blunt down.
Just an fyi to my fff.


That's beautiful. I want to frame it.
Bunny Chow
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 945
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:54 pm
Location: The High Road

Postby Wanda » Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:52 pm

The very least Isthmus could do is tell blunt, "we were going to hire you, but now we can't afford to". Toss him a biscuit would ya, you heartless bastards.
Wanda
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 363
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:54 am

Postby jjoyce » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:59 am

I'd hate to put an end to a perfectly good schtick, but it's been my experience working in media that one must apply for a job to be considered for any that open up and that's typically been done by sending in a resume and samples of previous work.

Freelancers engage in this practice on a less formal basis, but still pitch story ideas to editors and call attention to their clips as a way of demonstrating their experience.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 12168
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2001 4:48 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Postby aaron » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:07 am

Does anyone know who the Administrator is?
aaron
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1548
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 1:30 pm

Postby aaron » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:09 am

Ok, so JJoyce is the administrator. Fine. But as one who has been insulted and belittled quite often by him, I find this more than a little strange.
aaron
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1548
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 1:30 pm

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:14 am

I believe Jason has indicated previously that any number of Isthmus staffers may be operating the admin account, including him.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 8371
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:09 pm
Location: The mystical Far East

Postby jjoyce » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:50 am

aaron wrote:Ok, so JJoyce is the administrator. Fine. But as one who has been insulted and belittled quite often by him, I find this more than a little strange.


I'm sure I've challenged your view on living here in the flyover with all of us rubes, but I doubt any of those posts could be considered insulting.

Do you find this one insulting?

And yes, I prefer to think of "admin" as a troika or junta, as opposed to a dictatorship.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 12168
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2001 4:48 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Postby Ducatista » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:34 am

jjoyce wrote:And yes, I prefer to think of "admin" as a troika...

Great, now I've got Lieutenant Kijé stuck in my head.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4337
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:31 pm
Location: 53703

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:06 pm

I make a motion to have Schick banned posthumously.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 13275
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 2:48 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar